World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Low FPS content like 30fps console games or standard film looks like its juddering particularly when camera pans. Always looked bad to me on LCDs and even more so on the OLED. You can use the TV's processing to hide it but that can introduce artifacts. Can also use BFI on the OLED to reduce sample and hold blur but it lowers overall brightness.
I prefer to watch content using my OLED's native apps purely because I can leave the processing stuff off in Windows so I'm curious how it will look on this screen.

I totally disagree, from my experience OLED handles visual imperfections like noise and banding much better than LCD - it behaves more like a plasma. Also lower res content looks better on OLED than on LCD.

I found my panasonic plasma to be the best for all imperfections especially banding and noise.

Not sure what kind of content you watch but fire up likes of predator (there are 2 copies, one where all grain/noise has been mostly removed so everything looks like wax models and the original, extremely grainy+noisy in the source) and oblivion (when the pods have crashed back to earth and Jack arrives, smoke scene with panning which exuberates the banding issue) being just 2 examples, you'll see what I mean then, at first I thought there was a protective film or something over my oled panel!

It's not so much the res. either but more the bit rate where the differences show imo, obviously those both go somewhat hand in hand but you can get really good quality 720P content with pretty high bit rate. I find oled shows up the issues with low bit rate content more than lcd.

Saying that, I am basing this on my e7, have read that the newer lg oleds have considerably better processing chips for handling noise, grain etc. Worth noting that madvr has a ton of options for reducing banding, noise, film grain etc. which is arguably better than the built in tv methods along with up/down scaling, tone mapping/HDR settings too, a lot of people rate it extremely highly and use it on their £££££ audio + visual setups, some even pay the ludicrous money for the unit :o

https://madvrenvy.com/

Might be worthwhile having a play around with madvr + mpc hc for those who intend to use this monitor for media consumption too:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/improving-madvr-hdr-to-sdr-mapping-for-projector.2954506/page-751

I find oled shows up the issues with low bit rate content more than lcd.

Saying that, I am basing this on my e7, have read that the newer lg oleds have considerably better processing chips for handling noise, grain etc. Worth noting that madvr has a ton of options for reducing banding, noise, film grain etc. which is arguably better than the built in tv methods along with up/down scaling, tone mapping/HDR settings too, a lot of people rate it extremely highly and use it on their £££££ audio + visual setups, some even pay the ludicrous money for the unit :o

Yeah true - for best results with movies MadVR will be a must.

Felt same when I had my OLED and binged some older classics, anything from 60s-80s-2000+, scaling is nice on the LG CX but due to OLED and perhaps that glass front without the coating all the flaws in the older content were highlighted. I didn't mind it much kind of makes it more authentic look.

I tested MadVR and while its great upping those settings to bring out the quality felt it was not worth the extra electricity use or gpu resources, I found I had to be 2-3 inches away from the screen to really see any differences, 1 or 2 metres back and I couldn't notice it so went back to using Plex on the Nvidia shield as my main htpc but this was on an 48" LG CX(Shield has an excellent upscaler also).

I did ask Madvr users on their forum and they suggested that it was the small screen size why I was unable to see too much difference, those guys are on projectors and mammoth 65"+ TVs, so really the bigger the screen the more MadVR imo kicks in.

I think PCs are good for htpc but if you want the error and hassle free approach, Plex app supports HDR proper playback, DolbyVision (with right layer although tad buggy). I alternate between both PC and Plex+Nvidia shield though to get the best of both worlds.

Yup low fps content looks terrible - thinking of gaming!
Thanfully I only do pc gaming and emulators - only console for me!

Have learned to live with the motion on movies tho, so no problem. I never use even the least amouth of motion interpolation. Even the lowest is way to much SOE to me, and looks terrible!

I found my panasonic plasma to be the best for all imperfections especially banding and noise.

Not sure what kind of content you watch but fire up likes of predator (there are 2 copies, one where all grain/noise has been mostly removed so everything looks like wax models and the original, extremely grainy+noisy in the source) and oblivion (when the pods have crashed back to earth and Jack arrives, smoke scene with panning which exuberates the banding issue) being just 2 examples, you'll see what I mean then, at first I thought there was a protective film or something over my oled panel!

It's not so much the res. either but more the bit rate where the differences show imo, obviously those both go somewhat hand in hand but you can get really good quality 720P content with pretty high bit rate. I find oled shows up the issues with low bit rate content more than lcd.

https://madvrenvy.com/

Might be worthwhile having a play around with madvr + mpc hc for those who intend to use this monitor for media consumption too:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/improving-madvr-hdr-to-sdr-mapping-for-projector.2954506/page-751

For some reason I always prefer the originals. The Panasonic Viera's really shine with the classic content. Both motion and the analogue look. In many ways it reminds me of the days of watching films on CRT TV during the 80s - 00s during family Christmases.

However, Kuro's back then were in a league of their own for film enjoyment.
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/official-pioneer-kuro-pictures-thread.920011/page-443

Don't get me wrong, I still love the look of the present day films like Oblivion, Need for Speed, Avengers and such films but nothing beats the analogue look that you get from Lethal Weapon and those old style films.

This brings back memories even before the football matches during the week at 7pm the past decade.

Apparently you can just use any Dell Premier link to order it to your home. Anyone with Dell Premier account that can share the link?

For some reason I always prefer the originals. The Panasonic Viera's really shine with the classic content. Both motion and the analogue look. In many ways it reminds me of the days of watching films on CRT TV during the 80s - 00s during family Christmases.

However, Kuro's back then were in a league of their own for film enjoyment.
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/official-pioneer-kuro-pictures-thread.920011/page-443

Don't get me wrong, I still love the look of the present day films like Oblivion, Need for Speed, Avengers and such films but nothing beats the analogue look that you get from Lethal Weapon and those old style films.

This brings back memories even before the football matches during the week at 7pm the past decade.

Completely agree.

Love the look of 80s/90s film, just seem so much more true to life/authentic, that and also less use of CGI i.e. more practical effects/backgrounds, explosions etc. used.

Apparently you can just use any Dell Premier link to order it to your home. Anyone with Dell Premier account that can share the link?

UK isn't available apparently, only US for now.

Bit risky going that route if you don't actually have a business to register with though, what happens for any potential warranty claims?

Completely agree.

Love the look of 80s/90s film, just seem so much more true to life/authentic, that and also less use of CGI i.e. more practical effects/backgrounds, explosions etc. used.

Batman 89 and Returns or even 89 Licence to Kill looks gorgeous still on Plasma/OLED. Or even Die Hard, 2 and 3. As if you could jump through the screen. Todays pristine films reminds me of rich well known movie/fashion glossy magazines. They're too perfect.

The 80s/90s films holds that lovely organic look to them.

Batman 89 and Returns or even 89 Licence to Kill looks gorgeous still on Plasma/OLED. Or even Die Hard, 2 and 3. As if you could jump through the screen. Todays pristine films reminds me of rich well known movie/fashion glossy magazines. They're too perfect.

Those are films I have yet to rewatch on the oled, classic james bond ones!

A lot of arnolds UHD ones are epic too, the running man, total recall and commando.

Additionally, they stand the test of time much better than early computer VFX films. Compare Matrix Vs Matrix Reloaded. The second one looks much worse because VFX today looks like ps4 game, whereas Matrix 1 was more focused on traditional effects.

Those are films I have yet to rewatch on the oled, classic james bond ones!

A lot of arnolds UHD ones are epic too, the running man, total recall and commando.

Funny thing; I recently watched Commando (years since last) and also Predator and other Arnold movies + a whole lot of other 80 and 90's classics. They surely Dont make movies like before. Much better, and the same as with music - Nirvana and all awesome music back then. Today is most crap. No wonder ppl dont buy new music. Old stuff is way more popular even with the youngsters it seems!

Oh I just love Total Recall and make sure to see some John Carpeneter classics as Escape From New York and those Halloween movies in 4K :)

Last edited:
Funny thing; I recently watched Commando (years since last) and also Predator and other Arnold movies + a whole lot of other 80 and 90's classics. They surely Dont make movies like before. Much better then same as with music - Nirvana and all awesome music back then. Today is most crap. No wonder ppl dont buy new music. Old stuff is way more popular even with the youngsters it seems!

Oh I just love Total Recall and make sure to see some John Carpeneter classics as Escape From New York and those Halloween movies in 4K :)

So it's not just me. Here was me once thinking it was me getting older. :cry: The funny thing is going through Youtube is the amount of people commenting they're between 18 - 22 and they wished they lived through the 80s/90s era of films and music.

You certainly don't get musicians like Mike Oldfield any longer.

That link read as a fluff piece talking through the spec sheet.

Hope they don't sell out in minutes as this is the monitor release of the century

Back
Top Bottom