World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Keep old send back new

They haven't asked for the old one, but yes, if they do ask then that is what I will do. The one I have works perfectly except for one tiny problem - there is a feint flicker when it is in HDR mode, but honestly I never use that one in HDR mode. I only discovered it when I accidentally left the PC in HDR mode after a session with the AW3423DWF. I raised the issue with Dell but when I realised that it was only HDR mode that was causing the problem I actually said I didn't want a replacement, but they sent me a new one anyway. They haven't arranged for collection of the old one. I guess I will have to wait and see what they do. The AW3821DW is still a fine monitor, the colours are excellent, but I don't see the point in using the new one. The old one will surely last a little while longer until it is time for replacement anyway.

Isn't that 60hz?

No, it's 144Hz. It's the AW3821DW.

Last edited:
It's a IPS panel though?
Yes it is. It uses a 3840x1600 panel, which I think is made by LG.
It's never been good in HDR which is why I don't use it in that mode. The contrast of the panel is imo too low for good HDR. HDR just looks like ordinary with the brightness turned up!!
For all I know it may have had this issue from new. I don't care, though, I won't use it in HDR mode. Other than that it is still an excellent monitor and I have no intention of replacing it.
If Dell don't want it back I will probably keep it.

@cuke2u funnily enough putting my nose to the screen is the only way I can read some things in dark mode (eyes are fine). In light mode it's more readable but it's not clear by any stretch compared to my non UW.
Hehe, you know you'll get nose burn don't you..

IT does get a bit warm lol. The main issue is dark mode when the text is a light/dark grey against darker grey or black. High contrast is fine like white on black as is light mode.

Last edited:
been lurking here a few months, and was put off by some of the fan noise problems on the AW3423DW,
looking at going for the AW3423DWF, coming from a LG 34GK950F-B, anyone else gone that route, where your expectations met ?
and are there any issues on this one to be aware of ? and will it work ok with an Nvidea card ?

really struggle finding monitor's to replace the LG 34GK950F-B, its an amazing monitor, but having owned an LG OLED tv, i know they are in different league, so really fancy this,
or maybe i should just stay with the LG 34GK950F-B ? paid similar money as these for it originally lol

I've had 3 of these screens and currently running 2. When it comes to HDR calibration there is slight max brightness variance. My first 2 screens maxed out around 970nits, the 3rd one 1020nits. Out of curiosity, anyone have one that maxes at 1060nit (the original EDID value)?
According to the HDR Calibration Tool, 1070 for mine.

Edit* Although having just checked Windows Display properties just now it shows 1060, a few nits here or there isn't going to make much difference I guess.

Last edited:
been lurking here a few months, and was put off by some of the fan noise problems on the AW3423DW,
looking at going for the AW3423DWF, coming from a LG 34GK950F-B, anyone else gone that route, where your expectations met ?
and are there any issues on this one to be aware of ? and will it work ok with an Nvidea card ?

Risky at the moment imo
The DW non F on the other hand looks to be problem free in comparison. Fan noise is hit & miss, I have none that I can hear on mine

According to the HDR Calibration Tool, 1070 for mine.

Edit* Although having just checked Windows Display properties just now it shows 1060, a few nits here or there isn't going to make much difference I guess.
Interesting. That is a 100 nit variance between your screen and my 970 screen. The 1060 is the basic EDID value, and should be overided by the calibration tool.

Anyone have higher than 1070 during calibration?

Risky at the moment imo
The DW non F on the other hand looks to be problem free in comparison. Fan noise is hit & miss, I have none that I can hear on mine
oooof that took some reading, i guess owning a Geforce GPU maybe i should stick to G sync monitor!
thanks for the pointers, i have a decent monitor, so theres no hurry, will see how the F progresses and if it gets a fix the HDR issues etc, and i guess i can pull the trigger on the AW3423DW anytime if i have to

Interesting. That is a 100 nit variance between your screen and my 970 screen. The 1060 is the basic EDID value, and should be overided by the calibration tool.

Anyone have higher than 1070 during calibration?

940/50 for mine. Are we getting this from when the squares disappear on the tool?

really struggle finding monitor's to replace the LG 34GK950F-B, its an amazing monitor, but having owned an LG OLED tv, i know they are in different league, so really fancy this,
or maybe i should just stay with the LG 34GK950F-B ? paid similar money as these for it originally lol

I have an AW3423DWF, came from an AW3821DW, and use it with NVIDIA.

I have no problems at all. It's great monitor and works perfectly. No fan noise. I must admit, however, that I have "old" hearing so I can't tell you whether it has coil noise - I wouldn't hear it even if it does.

I use an app called AutoActions to switch to HDR mode when I play a game, and everything works great.
There are no problems using HDR except when the game is set to Fullscreen mode. Tabbing out can cause the screen to go black so I run the games in Borderless Fullscreen Window, and it works perfectly. I have no idea whether the issue is caused by the monitor or Windows or the game, I just accept it as a quirk that is easily bypassed. I have heard of this sort of thing before with other monitors, that tabbing out of games in Fullscreen is not a wise thing to do so perhaps it is a Windows issue.
The colour quality is better than the finest LCD monitor. It is certainly better than the AW3821DW, and that's a really good monitor. The only annoying issue is the lack of support for the sub-pixel layout which can cause fringing around text. This is amplified by my PC glasses, which doesn't help!!! It's also not really noticeable if you use Windows in Light Mode. Hopefully Microsoft will fix this one day. There is a "sort of" fix out there but it doesn't work for dual monitors.
The four hour pixel refresh is a slight annoyance, but I see it as the same as a pet - they need food breaks or they stop working!
In all, I would buy the monitor again in a flash. The colour and particularly the contrast and speed are just spectacular. It made me realise that HDR on an LCD is a con - it's just brighter, it's not better. On the AW3423DWF it's better. Way better.
Dell are currently looking at some inconsistencies with the HDR modes in the AW3423DWF, but honestly I don't notice anything wrong. Maybe that's the particular mode I use. I am sure at some point there will be a firmware update, luckily that's really easy with the F version.
Anyway, the AW3423DWF was cheaper than the AW3821DW but in my mind it is more than a worthy replacement.

Last edited:
I have an AW3423DWF, came from an AW3821DW, and use it with NVIDIA.

I have no problems at all. It's great monitor and works perfectly. No fan noise. I must admit, however, that I have "old" hearing so I can't tell you whether it has coil noise - I wouldn't hear it even if it does.

I use an app called AutoActions to switch to HDR mode when I play a game, and everything works great.
There are no problems using HDR except when the game is set to Fullscreen mode. Tabbing out can cause the screen to go black so I run the games in Borderless Fullscreen Window, and it works perfectly. I have no idea whether the issue is caused by the monitor or Windows or the game, I just accept it as a quirk that is easily bypassed. I have heard of this sort of thing before with other monitors, that tabbing out of games in Fullscreen is not a wise thing to do so perhaps it is a Windows issue.
The colour quality is better than the finest LCD monitor. It is certainly better than the AW3821DW, and that's a really good monitor. The only annoying issue is the lack of support for the sub-pixel layout which can cause fringing around text. This is amplified by my PC glasses, which doesn't help!!! It's also not really noticeable if you use Windows in Light Mode. Hopefully Microsoft will fix this one day. There is a "sort of" fix out there but it doesn't work for dual monitors.
The four hour pixel refresh is a slight annoyance, but I see it as the same as a pet - they need food breaks or they stop working!
In all, I would buy the monitor again in a flash. The colour and particularly the contrast and speed are just spectacular. It made me realise that HDR on an LCD is a con - it's just brighter, it's not better. On the AW3423DWF it's better. Way better.
Dell are currently looking at some inconsistencies with the HDR modes in the AW3423DWF, but honestly I don't notice anything wrong. Maybe that's the particular mode I use. I am sure at some point there will be a firmware update, luckily that's really easy with the F version.
Anyway, the AW3423DWF was cheaper than the AW3821DW but in my mind it is more than a worthy replacement.

thanks for your insight, I also have old hearing and seeing!! (glasses)
i thought you were saying HDR in full screen is a problem, but reading it again i see you mean if you then tab out(ALT-TAB) that causes a problem, to be honest i dont usually tend to do that myself, and exit the game if i need to finish or do something else, so that's not a problem,

it does sound like the AW3423DWF is an upgrade to the AW3821DW, just needs dell to sort there do do out !

My replacement aw3423dw has arrived. I'm lucky enough to live in such a small country that we don't have RMA centres for 95% of imported electronics so almost all RMAs just result in getting a brand new replacement because the device cannot be fixed locally and must be shipped off. That's happened again here and I've received a brand new aw34 that was manufactured just 4 weeks ago

I hope this one doesn't have these black screen issues. If it does I may ask to try the DWF or otherwise it will be a refund.

I don't see how these black screen issues with HDR would be a Windows problem because I've used windows in HDR on a Samsung and LG TV over the last few years and neither of these have had black screen when going into HDR or when alt tabbing from a game

Last edited:
i thought you were saying HDR in full screen is a problem, but reading it again i see you mean if you then tab out(ALT-TAB) that causes a problem, to be honest i dont usually tend to do that myself, and exit the game if i need to finish or do something else, so that's not a problem,

Yep, only in Fullscreen and only when you tab out of the game to another application. It attempts to switch back to SDR and that sometimes causes a problem. I have no idea why. It works perfectly in Borderless Fullscreen Window. As you say, if you never tab out of a game then you won't even find out there is a problem.
In Fullscreen Window some games can switch HDR mode by themselves and this seems to be where the problem comes in, whereas in Borderless Fullscreen Window you have to switch it for them using AutoActions. AutoActions seems more reliable than games!

it does sound like the AW3423DWF is an upgrade to the AW3821DW, just needs dell to sort there do do out !

Yes. The F is generally considered to be better but it does have some teething problems that Dell need to sort out with a new release of firmware. Whether you go for the non-f or trust Dell to release a new firmware soon is of course up to you. Personally, I think the HDR problems with the F are over-blown. I used Display-HDR and that equates to HDR400 in the non-f and that works just fine for me.

My replacement aw3423dw has arrived. I'm lucky enough to live in such a small country that we don't have RMA centres for 95% of imported electronics so almost all RMAs just result in getting a brand new replacement because the device cannot be fixed locally and must be shipped off. That's happened again here and I've received a brand new aw34 that was manufactured just 4 weeks ago

Very reasuring. At least you know for sure you have the latest firmware. I wonder if Dell use their latest calibrators on the non-f now? Will say on the calibration slip - if you happened to keep the old one!!

Very reasuring. At least you know for sure you have the latest firmware. I wonder if Dell use their latest calibrators on the non-f now? Will say on the calibration slip - if you happened to keep the old one!!

I haven't taken the new one out of the box yet. I think I have the old ones calibration, I'll compare them tomorrow. I can't test the new monitor right now cause my PC can't boot up as I also rma'd my SSD and still waiting on a new one to be sent to me, however im likely going to just get a refund tomorrow to quickly buy another ssd as Dell only gives me 10 days to test the new monitor and send the old one back

Last edited:
I haven't taken the new one out of the box yet. I think I have the old ones calibration, I'll compare them tomorrow. I can't test the new monitor right now cause my PC can't boot up as I also rma'd my SSD and still waiting on a new one to be sent to me, however im likely going to just get a refund tomorrow to quickly buy another ssd as Dell only gives me 10 days to test the new monitor and send the old one back

10 days? Yes, that's not much time.

I think the HDR problems with the F are over-blown. I used Display-HDR and that equates to HDR400 in the non-f and that works just fine for me.

It's not overblown if you can't use one of the main selling features.
HDR1000 is far better than Display HDR400. If it's not usable or doesn't work correctly you should be demanding your money back.

The F model has more features so should be an upgrade in most scenarios, but in its current form it is broken so nobody should be buying it until Dell releases a firmware to fix it

It's not overblown if you can't use one of the main selling features.
HDR1000 is far better than Display HDR400. If it's not usable or doesn't work correctly you should be demanding your money back.

The F model has more features so should be an upgrade in most scenarios, but in its current form it is broken so nobody should be buying it until Dell releases a firmware to fix it

I don't think it's a question of not being able to use it. For me, HDR1000 is too bright anyway. I mean even at 400 I find I have to close my eyes in Destiny 2 when my spaceship comes out of hyperspace or I am completely blinded for the next two minutes. Talk about realistic! God if this is what hypserpace travel is like when we need strong sun screen. Anyway, I deliberately run it at 400. But I think that difference modes may use differnt tone maps and this what's causing confusion. The Gaming Mode, for example, seems to use HDR2000. What that would mean is the upper dynamic range is compressed in to what the monitor can actually achieve, which people tell me is HDR1000. I mean I don't know, the function of the modes is undocumented and even Dell Technical don't seem to have the details. Hopefully this will all come out in time. I am not sure in reality that I care. It works great. That's enough for me!

Last edited:
After comparing the Apr2022 and Dec2022 manufactured aw3423dw, only difference in packaging is they now include a micro fibre cloth - the bubble wrap around the screen still leaves marks after all these months they haven't fixed it, they just give you a cloth now and tell you to clean the screen. Calibration report looks pretty similiar. The Dec2022 model is on firmware MOB103

Back
Top Bottom