World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Did anyone notice with the latest Windows 11 update, that the Taskbar can now automatically fully hide itself now? Not available to Windows 10 as far as I can tell when I tried it on my Win 10 machine. But should be a god send for us OLED users.

Oh yes! No, I hadn't. I was using Translucent app so I hadn't noticed. Well, at least that is one thing sorted.

@mrk

That's odd. I just tried downloading and playing a video at the same time, different tabs in same window however, so not multiple windows like you have, and there is nothing remaining of it entirely once the mouse is away from it.

Same here. I get nothing during a Steam download. There must be something different in the Taskbar settings, I don't get that underline at all

anyone have a Mac with this monitor and can give feedback of text issues? wondering if osx handles this better

If you only have one screen then the problem is fairly simple to sort out. There is a post about it somewhere.

If you only have one screen then the problem is fairly simple to sort out. There is a post about it somewhere.

post is relevant, im talking about an actaul mac, not mactype, & also we wont be able to run said software on a corporate box

Last edited:
Shouldn't do any of this.
It's a monitor, so just use it like you would use any monitor. If you have burn in 2 years down the line you have a 3yr warranty so it doesn't matter.

My taskbar is normal (although it's translucent so I can see through it, but I've always had it like this)
I have icons on my desktop
I have a nice scenery background

No burn in yet and if I do get any I'll claim on the warranty. Simple :)

I think the concern is not really if the burn in will happen, we all know that the OLED will degrade eventually and burn in can happen at any point aswell.

But I'm certain (at least for myself) that users are not looking to getting a replacement going any time soon after it's checked out OK, especially since as the tech is rather new, we have no idea how long exactly the expected lifetime from specific types of use impact on it's longevity. So those more conscious of expensive purchases, just want to make sure that it can go on for as long as possible for use (when needed). And in order to help that happen, making a few adjustments like the completely hidden toolbar now (in Windows 11 with the latest update), and using a black theme (so there's no illumination from any of the unused pixels at all), etc, helps longevity of the display given what is known about the tech involved.

I've had a display where 10-14 days after the warranty expired, one of the cathode rays blew. Leaving me with no red, and only blue and yellow. Luckily Sony gave me a free repair over that as it was so close to the end of the warranty period (it was a different time of customer service back then). Yeah, you can get it repaired/replaced via warranty if issues happen inside that period of time (3 years for us on these QD-OLEDs), but if general use leads to a downgrade of image quality after 4 years vs 5-7 years if you employ a more conservative approach, I'd (personally) rather the display lasted longer in an excellent condition. But again, that's just me and being money conscious of it all (and having experienced that repair after a warranty expired, which would have been expensive to repair or replace back then). :)

Loving this monitor so far, it really is a pleasure to use for gaming and i am finding myself playing games over again just to experience the OLED goodness :D

It is truly wonderful. I recently bought a used evga 3090 ftw3. My life is complete (after a week of testing undervolting, to tame its insatiable appetite for electricity). So now I can play some games! You served me so well, strix 1080ti <3
I love the F model so much... and now they have got rid of that line of pixels when you hide the taskbar in Windows! So happy about this. With my wallpaper set to black, all my shortcuts on the hidden task bar... I have to look at the colour of the light on the monitor power button to know whether its awake, asleep, or even on at all xD
Games on this thing look amazing.

Hi all, I don't use this monitor for work, however I decided to hook up my work laptop via HDMI the other day just to test it and it only sees it as a 1080p panel. However, the same laptop recognises the full resolution of my other LG 1440p ultrawide. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Hi all, I don't use this monitor for work, however I decided to hook up my work laptop via HDMI the other day just to test it and it only sees it as a 1080p panel. However, the same laptop recognises the full resolution of my other LG 1440p ultrawide. Any ideas?
Have you installed the driver for the display on the laptop?
What's the HDMI port spec on your laptop? And is the HDMI cable at least HDMI 1.4 capable? (Sometimes we have old HDMI cables and use them unwittingly).

I'm a bit torn about whether to purchase the DWF. I recently RMA'd an iiyama IPS 34-inch ultrawide and received a brand new VA 165hz monitor as a replacement.

I can get the DWF for around £700ish with Halifax cashback but wondering if it's worth it given I've just been given a brand new display at no cost. I only game about 2-3 hours a day and do quite a bit of researching via websites or writing text.

I could just use the laptop for these tasks and or risk the potential burn-in. Also had a look at running both monitors but my desk isn't wide enough.

I'm a bit torn about whether to purchase the DWF. I recently RMA'd an iiyama IPS 34-inch ultrawide and received a brand new VA 165hz monitor as a replacement.

I can get the DWF for around £700ish with Halifax cashback but wondering if it's worth it given I've just been given a brand new display at no cost. I only game about 2-3 hours a day and do quite a bit of researching via websites or writing text.

I could just use the laptop for these tasks and or risk the potential burn-in. Also had a look at running both monitors but my desk isn't wide enough.

I wouldn't be too worried about burn-in, there haven't been many reports of that happening.

I dunno. It really comes down to whether you want HDR badly enough. The colours on the OD-OLED's are fantastic but I can't directly compare that to your "free" monitor becuase I haven't seen one. I have a £1200 LCD Dell monitor sat next to a AW3423DWF and while close, the AW3423DWF is still better. The colours really pop on QD-OLED.

Certainly for general browsing, the QD-OLED is less suitable. The sub-pixel layout just creates inferior text (until Microsoft decide to sort that problem out).

Interestingly I may be one of the first Warranty callers with the F that's been owned less than a month. :eek:

Whilst I have altered everything to use a darker theme, one of the games I play is in a window, and it remained using a White coloured window border (forgot to change that, and didn't realise it was so evident; have got the setting changed in Windows now where it'll tint the accent a different colour - a much darker grey instead of default white, so that should help with changes ahead, but not sure it'll do anything here now). Now it appears that this might have impacted on the screen for those interested.

Was using the "Default" colour system from the monitor, it uses 75 brightness, so it's fairly high. Switched to Creator mode for 15 brightness now.

Now when looking at a grey screen like that of the photo viewer in Windows, I can notice a darker bar there (from the top of the Window from the game, which adjusted to center of screen). Unsure if this is simply image retention or not (I don't think it is), have got default Pixel and Panel refresh when it goes to standby, so it's not I haven't let them work or anything. Have manually called on the Pixel and Panel Refresh functions and it does appear to have reduced some of it, so will keep an eye on it for now, but may need to get an exchange for this. Will keep everyone posted.

Interestingly I may be one of the first Warranty callers with the F that's been owned less than a month. :eek:

Whilst I have altered everything to use a darker theme, one of the games I play is in a window, and it remained using a White coloured window border (forgot to change that, and didn't realise it was so evident; have got the setting changed in Windows now where it'll tint the accent a different colour - a much darker grey instead of default white, so that should help with changes ahead, but not sure it'll do anything here now). Now it appears that this might have impacted on the screen for those interested.

Was using the "Default" colour system from the monitor, it uses 75 brightness, so it's fairly high. Switched to Creator mode for 15 brightness now.

Now when looking at a grey screen like that of the photo viewer in Windows, I can notice a darker bar there (from the top of the Window from the game, which adjusted to center of screen). Unsure if this is simply image retention or not (I don't think it is), have got default Pixel and Panel refresh when it goes to standby, so it's not I haven't let them work or anything. Have manually called on the Pixel and Panel Refresh functions and it does appear to have reduced some of it, so will keep an eye on it for now, but may need to get an exchange for this. Will keep everyone posted.

I've always used 25%, because I am in a dark-ish room. HDR off all the time, except games.

Well fortunately we have 3 year burn-in warranty. Yeah keep us posted mate.

After owning the monitor for several months now; the most annoying feature is one I have no solution for.
And surely I can't be the only one who notices this.

When on a web page or application for that matter which has a white or near white background; moving the mouse around makes it hard to track - I find its very easy to visually lose track of where the mouse pointer is when moving at speed. I enabled shadows for the pointer in the windows settings which helps a little bit but I still lose it at time. This doesn't happen on any of the VA or IPS monitors I have.

I'm just going to use it within imo sensible precautions - using wallpaper that refreshes every 10 minutes but to me having a black screen is boring! I can't have that. I am going to enjoy it but using precautions still but not spoiling my enjoyment ie less paranoia, if I get screen burn i'm not going to look for it/try not to and then after a year - burn-in = new monitor.

After 3 years sell it and then get another one with the latest oled tech! I know it's expensive but what's this? £300 a year roughly and I might even keep it after 3 years..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom