World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Minor update: After 5-6 hours, it looks like it is actually Image Retention only, as it is (SLOWLY) dissipating (and thus not actual Burn In, at least, that's the suspicion so far now), however, it still hasn't fully cleared yet (fingers crossed it will eventually clear up there on its own; again, will keep an eye on and update others on what precautions to take now I'm the guinea pig here).

Reminder: 2 weeks ago I tried switching to "Standard" for the screen. This leaves the Brightness setting at 75. HDR has been set to on when appropriate content comes on. I had already turned most settings to a dark theme or black (off) screen. The Window Borders were default (White colour) and leaving this on for just a few hours (apparently) was enough to cause this retention. (When I switched to the Windows Photo viewer to look for something and noticed the dark bar retention in the grey area of the screen)

So if it's cumulative burning in that causes this (suspected) Image Retention, then 2 weeks is enough when the Brightness is at 75 (default for Standard; the intial setting it comes in) to cause this.
If it's just from todays playing of the game, then that Image Retention happens FAST. And so long as it IS Image Retention, then users need to be aware that this CAN happen in a matter of hours and what you'll need to test (observe, over at least 6 hours, after you manually do a Pixel and Panel refresh) to be sure it's not actual Burn In (when hopefully it fully dissipates). If it is Burn In, get in touch with Dell. (I'm holding out at the moment that my instance is just Retention, but I have correspondence ready to fire off in emails, etc if it is Burn In).

You don't need to go super conservative with your brightness and colour schemes, just enough where it's not pure White and super bright should be enough. Personal preference was just to do everything I could though. Anyway, observations continue. :)

After owning the monitor for several months now; the most annoying feature is one I have no solution for.
And surely I can't be the only one who notices this.

When on a web page or application for that matter which has a white or near white background; moving the mouse around makes it hard to track - I find its very easy to visually lose track of where the mouse pointer is when moving at speed. I enabled shadows for the pointer in the windows settings which helps a little bit but I still lose it at time. This doesn't happen on any of the VA or IPS monitors I have.

Yep I had this problem. I changed to a black cursor to solve it.

OK, so I'm fairly certain now it's actual Burn In, and not a simple Image Retention, as the bar refuses to dissipate further, despite leaving it alone for the entire night. It's definitely much reduced (very faint, and for most people unlikely to be seen, but I do images and colours, so it was a bit more obvious for me), but not gone; hence the leaning towards Burn In vs Image Retention. Especially when the display was flawless initially (3 weeks ago).

This means that users having anything that's White (very bright in short) and the Brightness level is at 75% (or on the Standard/Default setting) for (less) a month (or less than 2 weeks on this setting in my case), you can experience Burn In from a static element like a Windows Border/Title Bar if you game or work for more than a few hours a day, every day during that month.

If you're in Windows, I'd recommend you change the active/focused Windows Borders/Title Bar to something like Storm Grey, and also, because Windows 11 reverts all non-active/focused Window to White again, so I would also recommend that you grab something that'll alter that as well to a darker colour, or go into Registry and alter some settings to change the non-active/focused Window to a different colour as well to help prevent premature Burn-In. And let's face it, not even 3 weeks yet, and I've somehow managed to get some Burn In already on the screen and I haven't even used it that excessively yet either.

I'm going to leave the display for now and not exchange or warranty it just yet, as I think now I've got this Burn In, I might as well test it for what can help mitigate the issues first before I get it replaced later on. So, back to Standard (75% Brightness), HDR auto. And for now, using the altered Windows settings to see if this Storm Grey helps, if so. Return to normal (White) after and see how long things need to stay on to Burn In the screen. Then from there do more testing on time it takes for that to happen each day. Then, when it's all over the screen, warranty and exchange it. Especially if the Burn In happened inside 3 weeks.

OK, so I'm fairly certain now it's actual Burn In, and not a simple Image Retention, as the bar refuses to dissipate further, despite leaving it alone for the entire night. It's definitely much reduced (very faint, and for most people unlikely to be seen, but I do images and colours, so it was a bit more obvious for me), but not gone; hence the leaning towards Burn In vs Image Retention. Especially when the display was flawless initially (3 weeks ago).

This means that users having anything that's White (very bright in short) and the Brightness level is at 75% (or on the Standard/Default setting) for (less) a month (or less than 2 weeks on this setting in my case), you can experience Burn In from a static element like a Windows Border/Title Bar if you game or work for more than a few hours a day, every day during that month.

If you're in Windows, I'd recommend you change the active/focused Windows Borders/Title Bar to something like Storm Grey, and also, because Windows 11 reverts all non-active/focused Window to White again, so I would also recommend that you grab something that'll alter that as well to a darker colour, or go into Registry and alter some settings to change the non-active/focused Window to a different colour as well to help prevent premature Burn-In. And let's face it, not even 3 weeks yet, and I've somehow managed to get some Burn In already on the screen and I haven't even used it that excessively yet either.

I'm going to leave the display for now and not exchange or warranty it just yet, as I think now I've got this Burn In, I might as well test it for what can help mitigate the issues first before I get it replaced later on. So, back to Standard (75% Brightness), HDR auto. And for now, using the altered Windows settings to see if this Storm Grey helps, if so. Return to normal (White) after and see how long things need to stay on to Burn In the screen. Then from there do more testing on time it takes for that to happen each day. Then, when it's all over the screen, warranty and exchange it. Especially if the Burn In happened inside 3 weeks.
Damn that's unfortunate. I literally cancelled my order after reading of your troubles!

Damn that's unfortunate. I literally cancelled my order after reading of your troubles!

I wouldn't have done that. I've received it ,it's amazing and you have 3 year burn-in warranty.
I kept putting off getting this monitor but it really is in a class of its own,as in amazing.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have done that. I've received it ,it's amazing and you have 3 year burn-in warranty.
I kept putting off getting this monitor but it really is in a class of its own,as in amazing.

Exactly. Almost everyone is happy giving glowing reviews. One guy has issue, yep let's cancel the order :p

That's why you have 3 year warranty for, piece of mind :D

Exactly. Almost everyone is happy giving glowing reviews. One guy has issue, yep let's cancel the order :p

That's why you have 3 year warranty for, piece of mind :D
Aye, it could just be this specific panel and display that's got this issue. We don't have any solid details at the moment, that's why I'm off as the guinea pig finding more potential details (on prevention and what to cause it).

But the 3 year warranty is only good if we know what causes issues and what appropriate measures to take to prevent issues like this; that we don't fully know yet. I mean, 3 weeks? For this to develop? Seems very fickle given the measures I took in the first place. But when we look at it as well, we can see a weakness in the measures I took; those Window Borders/Title Bars were left on default, and that default was a White colour, which means full brightness and burn. So, given this, a recommedation for users to adjust the colours down from White can be suggested for users nearing the end of their Warranty and no issues have developed, or after a warranty exchange near the end of the 3 years (since you won't get another replacement after that point). Currently, the default Windows 11 adjustments are not enough if you use multiple Windows on scren at the same time.

Will update as I find more.

Reactions: TNA
Aye, it could just be this specific panel and display that's got this issue. We don't have any solid details at the moment, that's why I'm off as the guinea pig finding more potential details (on prevention and what to cause it).

But the 3 year warranty is only good if we know what causes issues and what appropriate measures to take to prevent issues like this; that we don't fully know yet. I mean, 3 weeks? For this to develop? Seems very fickle given the measures I took in the first place. But when we look at it as well, we can see a weakness in the measures I took; those Window Borders/Title Bars were left on default, and that default was a White colour, which means full brightness and burn. So, given this, a recommedation for users to adjust the colours down from White can be suggested for users nearing the end of their Warranty and no issues have developed, or after a warranty exchange near the end of the 3 years (since you won't get another replacement after that point). Currently, the default Windows 11 adjustments are not enough if you use multiple Windows on scren at the same time.

Will update as I find more.

I have taken almost no measures. I set windows to dark mode and my screen background is OLED friendly. That's it. No issues. No ask bar hiding or anything of the sort.

I recon it is bad luck. Get a replacement. Mrk would have got a replacement already :p

Oh and had mine for about a year now. 18 more months or so and I will sell this on and get either another one to get fresh warranty or just a 4K version if they make it :)

Last edited:
Yea I've been dithering over this a while. Currently have the old Acer x34p which is still going strong although the back-light bleed is pretty bad. Been playing Resident Evil Village which really shows that up

I have taken almost no measures. I set windows to dark mode and my screen background is OLED friendly. That's it. No issues. No ask bar hiding or anything of the sort.

I recon it is bad luck. Get a replacement. Mrk would have got a replacement already :p
I will replace, just not yet. :)

I have an opportunity here to basically "run wild" with this display now. And see what else can potentially cause issues and add them to suggestions/recommendations for users to think about applying, as some stuff (like the Border/Title Bar default on White) can be easily adjusted but also something easily missed.

Again, we can't always just rely on Warranty, since it'll run out eventually. So the more info we have, the better in the long term it'll be for everyone. :)

Reactions: TNA
I will replace, just not yet. :)

I have an opportunity here to basically "run wild" with this display now. And see what else can potentially cause issues and add them to suggestions/recommendations for users to think about applying, as some stuff (like the Border/Title Bar default on White) can be easily adjusted but also something easily missed.

Again, we can't always just rely on Warranty, since it'll run out eventually. So the more info we have, the better in the long term it'll be for everyone. :)

I will just sell and get a new one personally. I just need to keep an eye out for a great deal around the time. Once the deal is gone a month or later sell my old one for the same price :D

Yea I've been dithering over this a while. Currently have the old Acer x34p which is still going strong although the back-light bleed is pretty bad. Been playing Resident Evil Village which really shows that up

If you've been dithering for a while as you say, I would go for it ,you always have the 30 days return for full money back if not happy. :) i was dithering for ages too and I have no QC problems ,I can't personally hear the fan and it's more impressive that I was expecting. I received the monitor on Saturday btw so had it literally 2 days.

Last edited:
If you've been dithering for a while as you say, I would go for it ,you always have the 30 days return for full money back if not happy. :) i was dithering for ages too and I have no QC problems ,I can't personally hear the fan and it's more impressive that I was expecting. I received the monitor on Saturday btw so had it literally 2 days.
Ok I de-dithered my life and re-ordered it, it's OOS on Amazon now until 17th April anyway and got a sneaky price drop. Gives me ample time to wimp out again or see if it drops further in the meantime :D

I see the Philips version of this panel has dropped in price recently but it's still not worth £350 more than the DWF.

Apparently the Philips doesn't include burn-in cover but I'm not 100% sure about that.

I don't believe it does either there is no mention of it on the product page and surely you would shout about it if you did.

Interestingly the cooling fan in the Philips can be toggled on or off in the menu system according to the user manual. but with a warning that disabling it will affect performance.

Back
Top Bottom