World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

OLED G8 review by Monitors Unboxed.

So as it stands the only qd oled with proper working hdr gaming features is the one with an in built Gsync ultimate module. All the Freesync monitors have issues...

AMD needs to up its game here, I'm surprised how they don't get more flack for letting these guys ship Freesync monitors in such a poor state. Maybe it's their market share and they don't feel like they have any sway over these companies

So as it stands the only qd oled with proper working hdr gaming features is the one with an in built Gsync ultimate module. All the Freesync monitors have issues...

AMD needs to up its game here, I'm surprised how they don't get more flack for letting these guys ship Freesync monitors in such a poor state. Maybe it's their market share and they don't feel like they have any sway over these companies
I don't recall reading any references to this in all the reviews I've read for the QD-OLED televisions, so is this a monitor 'issue' only?

Received my AW3423DW replacement today. Previous unit had a stuck red pixel on the centre of the screen. Glad to see this one doesn't have any dead or stuck pixels. Anything else I should check? I noticed this unit has the new firmware M0B202! Anyone have an AW3423DW with this new firmware? Wonder what changes they made in this new firmware. My previous unit had firmware M0B103 firmware.

You're kidding right?

Well TBF when it comes to variable refresh sync and as shown with hdr on these qd oled panels now, not really kidding.... :p

Tbf though, it's probably not down to amd but poor QC from monitor manufacturers not using the right components in their monitors but then on second thought, that falls down to amd not having tighter/better QC in place for who gets the freesync premium certified compliance badge.....

Minor update. There is certainly a level of Image Retention that takes FOREVER to reduce, as it has been reducing (EVER so slowly). However, there is still that bar I talked about that is there after 5 days of safe useage now. And that's just after 1 month of letting Windows use a White solid bar for active and inactive Windows. Have changed it now to use Storm Grey instead of White, and use other windows to "cover" any offending windows apps that might be left with a White border/bar. But yeah, certainly was not expecting that to pop up in less than 1 month after obtaining and using safely.

Photo from mobile of burn in/retention from 5 days ago:
L3gU49a.jpg

And how it looks now (sort of, as I can't get the same conditions for the image but if you adjust the image you'll see the bar I am talking about still, but much less pronounced compared to 5 days ago.)
DFqJ0aC.jpg

Image from 5 days ago was done during the day in a room with closed curtains. The image now, is done at night. So variances between the images, but you'll just need to trust that I can tell that the bar is reduced compared to 5 days ago. And that before 5 days ago, when I first noticed it and reported it on the forums, it was MUCH more noticeable than even that image from 5 days ago (when I thought to myself I should be documenting this).

However, thankfully this doesn't appear impact much in general use, but if you have any dark still images or greys on screen then it becomes a lot more evident. Colours tend to be able to cover it up and is not as pronounced, especially after it has been reducing in intensity from 5/6 days ago.

Reactions: TNA
Well TBF when it comes to variable refresh sync and as shown with hdr on these qd oled panels now, not really kidding.... :p

Tbf though, it's probably not down to amd but poor QC from monitor manufacturers not using the right components in their monitors but then on second thought, that falls down to amd not having tighter/better QC in place for who gets the freesync premium certified compliance badge.....
Well we don't know anything for sure yet, and NV drivers have also presented issues in the recent past as well https://hothardware.com/news/a-geforce-gpu-driver-bug-is-causing-major-cpu-spikes-on-gaming-pcs and now https://www.techpowerup.com/306398/...ds-during-diablo-iv-closed-beta-play-sessions
To make a blanket statement that NV just work is far from accurate..

Last edited:
I think he's referring to that HDR just works on Nvidia gsync, and he's not wrong. This is mainly because to get the gsync ultimate certification the monitor needs to pass 300 tests before Nvidia approves it and the tests include hdr performance while using Gsync and VRR.

Last edited:
Well we don't know anything for sure yet, and NV drivers have also presented issues in the recent past as well https://hothardware.com/news/a-geforce-gpu-driver-bug-is-causing-major-cpu-spikes-on-gaming-pcs and now https://www.techpowerup.com/306398/...ds-during-diablo-iv-closed-beta-play-sessions
To make a blanket statement that NV just work is far from accurate..

This:

I think he's referring to that HDR just works on Nvidia gsync, and he's not wrong. This is mainly because to get the gsync ultimate certification the monitor needs to pass 300 tests before Nvidia approves it and the tests include hdr performance while using Gsync and VRR.

It's not a blanket statement at all, HUB etc. have all tested various QD-oled monitors now and come to the same conclusion that when using amd gpus, the hdr quality is not there, at first we thought it might have just been a firmware thing for the dell monitor but it appears not so either the components monitors manufacturers are using is at fault or/and something on amds gpu end is at fault.

I'm not really referring to specific driver issues like crashes, performance issues and so on, this is always a given that there will be these kinds of issues with drivers, I'm referring more to "tech solutions", amd always has issues with their tech solutions, this kind of issue isn't new, just look at when freesync first released, it was a mess with poor ranges, black screens, flickering and so on (even still happens with some monitors....)

I've said it time and time again, this has always been amds approach when it comes to their solutions, it's why they prefer an open source approach as they want an over the fence approach where the "community" can take ownership and maintain control rather than them wasting their resources and time, well that and they don't really have a choice as if you're going to be last to the market and not as good, your options are limited....

This:

It's not a blanket statement at all, HUB etc. have all tested various QD-oled monitors now and come to the same conclusion that when using amd gpus, the hdr quality is not there, at first we thought it might have just been a firmware thing for the dell monitor but it appears not so either the components monitors manufacturers are using is at fault or/and something on amds gpu end is at fault.

I'm not really referring to specific driver issues like crashes, performance issues and so on, this is always a given that there will be these kinds of issues with drivers, I'm referring more to "tech solutions", amd always has issues with their tech solutions, this kind of issue isn't new, just look at when freesync first released, it was a mess with poor ranges, black screens, flickering and so on (even still happens with some monitors....)

I've said it time and time again, this has always been amds approach when it comes to their solutions, it's why they prefer an open source approach as they want an over the fence approach where the "community" can take ownership and maintain control rather than them wasting their resources and time, well that and they don't really have a choice as if you're going to be last to the market and not as good, your options are limited....
So is it QD-OLED monitors only and has anyone approached AMD about it?

So is it QD-OLED monitors only and has anyone approached AMD about it?

No clue if it is other monitors or not, however, I do remember seeing a video with RDNA 3 launch where a few where reporting that hdr was broken with them gpus so maybe it might even be a rdna 3 thing too.

What would be a broken hdr? As in grey instead of black colors? I've been playing only tarkov since I got the G8 and I can't really see any anormalie, using W10 hdr options.

No clue if it is other monitors or not, however, I do remember seeing a video with RDNA 3 launch where a few where reporting that hdr was broken with them gpus so maybe it might even be a rdna 3 thing too.
It is strange, seeing as many monitors and televisions are connected too AMD gfx cards, been reviewed and tested and it isn't all over every forum, yet this is the first I've heard about it.

yeah makes total sense.

[I understand people using AMD cards - my last one was one too but atm the g-sync version of the Alienware works better for HDR. So atm Nvidia is better for me.]

Last edited:
This:

Going to have to disagree with this entire post I'm afraid. I have an AMD card and HDR works flawlessly for me on the AW3423DW

Going to have to disagree with this entire post I'm afraid. I have an AMD card and HDR works flawlessly for me on the AW3423DW

Yeah it's not an issue specifically to do with an AMD GPU (well rDNA 3 on launch, apparently it was but no idea if they have fixed this), it's to do with the monitors without the gsync module which are having problems properly displaying hdr i.e. either the hardware being used for the vrr on the monitor side in conjunction with hdr output or/and an AMD driver/hardware issue (if not happening on other hdr monitors outside of these qd-oled ones then this can be ruled out).

Yeah it's not an issue specifically to do with an AMD GPU (well rDNA 3 on launch, apparently it was but no idea if they have fixed this), it's to do with the monitors without the gsync module which are having problems properly displaying hdr i.e. either the hardware being used for the vrr on the monitor side in conjunction with hdr output or/and an AMD driver/hardware issue (if not happening on other hdr monitors outside of these qd-oled ones then this can be ruled out).

What I don't really understand is why NVIDIA cards have no problem with the monitors that don't have the GSYNC module ie the AW3423DWF.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom