World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Hope to see 4k versions. Ultrawide is just horrible for gaming IMO.

Sadly it is, so no matter how good this may be. I will never buy it!
Tried UW on my telly, and actually tested some hours yesterday - yeah a friend was stupid enough buy a 34 inch. Played different games and I bloody hated it. It was exactly as I knew it would be. That POS low vertical FOV; as with my PG279Q and that added horizontal crap. It does absolutely nothing for gaming - only takes away immersion!

So I cant wait for 4K - 32 and up. I guess you and me + the rest of the world feels the same. Let the few people that loves this trash enjoy it ;)

Oh funny thing: today my buddy called, and said he will send the UW back. He tried it all night but said it just feels wrong. Well I told him - Dident I Told You So..LOL!

Tried UW on my telly, and actually tested some hours yesterday - yeah a friend was stupid enough buy a 34 inch. Played different games and I bloody hated it. It was exactly as I knew it would be. That POS low vertical FOV; as with my PG279Q and that added horizontal crap. It does absolutely nothing for gaming - only takes away immersion!

So I cant wait for 4K - 32 and up. I guess you and me + the rest of the world feels the same. Let the few people that loves this trash enjoy it ;)
Dude. You sound as the America's would put it "butt hurt" :cry:

Is it true that there are no RGB controls in the OSD? Looking forward to a review from someone who has a calibration device and confirms this as going forwards, this /could/ be an issue if you cannot adjust RGB as that is the main way to recalibrate as a display ages.

Guy in reddit link above has a calibration device, I think only the spyder one though so not as good as the i1 display pro but yeah could be a downside as you said, display aging over time.

Oh funny thing: todaymy buddy called, and said he will send the UW back. He tried it all night but said it just feels wrong. Well I told him - dident I Told You So..LOL!

I do hope 99.9% of people agree with you. Means there will be plenty of stock and no scalping :)

Is it true that there are no RGB controls in the OSD? Looking forward to a review from someone who has a calibration device and confirms this as going forwards, this /could/ be an issue if you cannot adjust RGB as that is the main way to recalibrate as a display ages.

If it's anything like the AW3821DW then the OSD is extremely limited - but there are a few custom picture modes where you can set RGBCMY

Dude. You sound as the America's would put it "butt hurt" :cry:

:cry:

I do hope 99.9% of people agree with you. Means there will be plenty of stock and no scalping :)

giphy.gif

Ah that's good as long as you can set up a custom picture mode via RGB etc. I noticed there is a Dell Display Tool as well where you can set various things up via the app on Windows. I wonder if that has more features than the OSD offers. There must be a hidden system menu for RGB in the OSD to, LG have had such a thing for years for example.

I know 21:9 has its haters, but I’d say 90% of owners wouldn’t go back to 16:9 and I count myself among that 90%. I couldn’t imagine going back to 16:9 now.

Even though I don't own 21:9 but everytime I look at my 16:9 screens and TVs I keep thinking they're almost 5:4/4:3. Even 16:10 looks horribly square now.

Oh funny thing: today my buddy called, and said he will send the UW back. He tried it all night but said it just feels wrong. Well I told him - Dident I Told You So..LOL!
Dude, do you just post the same crap all day long?

Ultrawide is not for you, stop bloody moaning about in an ultrawide thread, we get it already. Enjoy your 16:9 and leave it at that. Im ******* surprised you have friends if that is how you behave.

Mike: "I will never buy 21:9! It's the worst!"

Also Mike: Keeps browsing and posting in 21:9 thread.

:p

Even though I don't own 21:9 but everytime I look at my 16:9 screens and TVs I keep thinking they're almost 5:4/4:3. Even 16:10 looks horribly square now.

Yeah, my first ultrawide (in 2015!) was probably the best/biggest upgrade in all my years of PC gaming, things like a new GPU etc. are nice and all, but really are just incremental improvements

Yeah, my first ultrawide (in 2015!) was probably the best/biggest upgrade in all my years of PC gaming, things like a new GPU etc. are nice and all, but really are just incremental improvements

Funny to think when I remember going for my first 1920x1200 screen back in 2005, Dell 2405FPW, it looked so wide compared to 5:3 displays back then. Unlike today. :cry:

:cry:

I wonder if he has started posting on reddit again..... :p ;) :D

Exactly how I feel. I can "cope" with 16.9 just fine but 21.9 is just far more "natural" looking to me now and it just feels "right".

Dude just give it a rest and stop filling up the thread. Since it such an issue just go wait quietly while those whom are interested can actually talk about the monitor.

Exactly how I feel. I can "cope" with 16.9 just fine but 21.9 is just far more "natural" looking to me now and it just feels "right".

My only concern is desk space for it if I was to go that route. They're so wide.

If I wanted to run 2560x1440 resolution on an ultrawide monitor would it display with black boarders at the sides or it would stretch the image to fill full screen? Is ultra wide still a faff to get working with most games? I guy I would with bought one about a month ago and last week to said he regrets going ultra wide a little due to all the hassle.

Not used ultra wide myself but I know most games I play need a 16:9 resolution hench my first question

If I wanted to run 2560x1440 resolution on an ultrawide monitor would it display with black boarders at the sides or it would stretch the image to fill full screen? Is ultra wide still a faff to get working with most games? I guy I would with bought one about a month ago and last week to said he regrets going ultra wide a little due to all the hassle.

Not used ultra wide myself but I know most games I play need a 16:9 resolution hench my first question

I think Fallout 4 was the last game I played which had an issue with ultrawide. If it was 5 years ago then your concerns would be valid, but these days it seems to be very rare that there is no support.

That being said, the 38" Alienware does not have 1:1 pixel mapping for non-native resolutions. It's trivial to enable it in the AMD driver, and something I rarely (if ever) use, but still would be nice too have the functionality if needed.

What games do you play?

I game a fair bit and every single one I have played all support 21.9, there might be a few issues such as the hud being stuck in 16.9 or/and cutscenes being 16.9 or 21.9 with black boxes all round but usually that is fixed with a simple tweak in config files or with a program called flawless widescreen.

Only 3 games I can think of somewhat recently which had issues with 21.9 in gameplay i.e. was just cropped/zoomed in 16.9 is: shadow warrior 3, back 4 blood (now fixed) and aliens fireteam elite (not 100% sure but I think it's fixed)

I think Fallout 4 was the last game I played which had an issue with ultrawide. If it was 5 years ago then your concerns would be valid, but these days it seems to be very rare that there is no support.

Yeah fallout 4 is probably the main one that was a PITA to get working back on release as you had to go through 3 files to adjust res. etc. and even then, there were issues with the HUD + power armour, scope etc. although there are mods now that fix/improve all the issues in one.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24630

Back
Top Bottom