World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Redmagic have announced a 49" QD-OLED super ultrawide, they label it as "4K" but it's actually 5120x1440, so a bit of a PR goof. Still, 240 Hz, and enable DLDSR, you would get the 2160p vertical res in games so technically, you could say it is 4K.... If you have an Nvidia card that can do DLDSR.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Redmagic have announced a 49" QD-OLED super ultrawide, they label it as "4K" but it's actually 5120x1440, so a bit of a PR goof. Still, 240 Hz, and enable DLDSR, you would get the 2160p vertical res in games so technically, you could say it is 4K.... If you have an Nvidia card that can do DLDSR.

Redmagic. Not heard of them, I think I will pass. Plus I want more vertical resolution, not being stuck on 1440p again.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Horizontal is sideways :p

Redmagic are the gamer arm of Nubia (ZTE) - The Auros/Rogg of Asia - So pretty popular, but less known here.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not convinced with the 240hz screens due to the inherent vrr black raise linked to framerate with oled.
I already detect it at half framerate on my lg and aw. Thankfully I can keep these screens at or near native fps so the raise is negligible. 240hz, running at 120fps, will I notice the black raise?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
When you mention black raise, can you note any games where it is mentioned? Like I have been playing HL Alyx and Callisto and in the black scenes there at 144Hz, it's pitch black, no black raise at all, in fact to date I've not seen any black raise in any game.

I am always in Creator mode though with the OSD gamma set to 2.4 and other settings previously mentioned in this thread.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
DCI-P3 is great for media consumption and games I guess, nice vibrant colours, but for outside of consuming media, it's sRGB for me as I want to be editing in the colour space that 99% of everything is in :D

Remember too that some games have P3 in their settings, so if you use P3 in the OSD, enable P3 in the game settings too.

As for settings for day to day:

HDR Peak 1000 mode, Creator mode, sRGB, Gamma 2.4, contrast 66, brightness 32 (though you can set this to whatever is comfortable for your environment). Make sure to create a Windows HDR Calibration profile using the MS tool which creates a specific HDR colour profile for when viewing HDR stuff or games, this maximises the range of luminance to reach 1000 nits.

Leave Windows out of HDR mode until you are playing games or watching a HDR video, Windows is crap at accurately tonemapping to sRGB so non HDR content (99% of everything else) will look inaccurate.

I use MPC-BE with the MPC Video renderer set to auto passthrough HDR to the display, so Windows automatically goes into HDR mode when a HDR video is played. You can do the same with games using the automations app someone linked a while ago if the game doesn't auto trigger Windows HDR in the game settings.

Last edited:
Soldato

That's wider than my house.

Associate
I use MPC-BE with the MPC Video renderer set to auto passthrough HDR to the display, so Windows automatically goes into HDR mode when a HDR video is played. You can do the same with games using the automations app someone linked a while ago if the game doesn't auto trigger Windows HDR in the game settings.

I must say I've not tried using an app to auto switch to HDR, that'll come in handy. Although using the keyboard shortcut isn't too much of an inconvenience.

I've followed the same approach as you for my monitor, set up HDR calibration profile using the windows tool etc but my brightness is a bit higher and recently started using DCI-P3 full time, because of the reasons you've stated above.

Interestingly, I fell into DCI-P3 by accident, due to a bug with the firmware I'm guessing. When I had it set to sRGB there were times that whenever my monitor went to sleep, I'd wake it and notice the colours to be more vibrant than before. It wouldn't happen all the time though. Occasionally it would switch to DCI-P3 after waking it from being afk a while. That's what made me switch to DCI-P3 full time,.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Oh yeah that "stuck" p3 mode when waking up is a bug in the Eco mode feature on the OSD, I don't use Eco mode because of this. Not sure if it also affects the DWF too or just the DW.

With Eco off, it wakes up in P3 mode, but always flicks back to sRGB within 1 second.

Associate
I wasn't aware of that, good to know.

Although I'm 99.9% sure that it wasn't in eco mode. May be worth mentioning that if I did leave it to sleep again after it switched to DCI, I'd wake it to notice it switched back to sRGB.

Not had any auto switching occur since leaving it set to DCI so far.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Oh forgot to say that if you game in HDR, then P3 mode isn't selectable, as the monitor is in HDR mode and all colours/brightness are controlled by HDR. P3 in SDR mode in games, and enable P3 in games that have the option too for the expanded tonal range.

Associate
When you mention black raise, can you note any games where it is mentioned? Like I have been playing HL Alyx and Callisto and in the black scenes there at 144Hz, it's pitch black, no black raise at all, in fact to date I've not seen any black raise in any game.

I am always in Creator mode though with the OSD gamma set to 2.4 and other settings previously mentioned in this thread.
I should have said near black raise, black stays black. Have you played many darker games that chug away at 70fps? Your own testing showed at 144 it is hardly noticeable, but at 60 it is more obvious. As I was using 4k with a card that averaged 60fps, I have experienced it in gameplay, and was enough for LG to implement a setting to mitigate the issue. Atm with a 4090 at 1440 uw, i don't really notice it as I can run most games at native or at least a high percentage with solid frame pacing. But a 240hz screen, I will be back to having many games running around half native and am worried the raise may become an issue like when I had half native at 4k. I think this issue was noticeable to me, because id been using non vrr oled for years, got accustomed to the inky blacks, upgraded to vrr oled and instantly felt the picture was showing raised near black (2080ti, so probs average 60fps)

If you can find a game that changes the fps on the fly, you can play with this. Move the slider down the scale to half way and you will see the picture change instantly.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
None of the games I play at the moment have an fps slider as such, only presets - But will check it out next session see if it can seen.

Associate
None of the games I play at the moment have an fps slider as such, only presets - But will check it out next session see if it can seen.
yes, if you have ever seen the flicker on loading screens, that is a manifestation of this issue. As the fps bounces between say 175 and 60 during loading, you can see the near black gamma curve changing in real time and the effect it has on the overall tone of the picture. So, when you play a game with a steady fps at say 60fps, you wont see flicker, but the near black gamma is raised. The further from native the bigger the change. Only when using VRR.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
If you mean VRR flicker then yes I have noticed that, but that is immediately removed by turning off Gsync - A byproduct of all OLED displays using VRR.

Back
Top Bottom