World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Has anyone treated an OLED monitor as a normal screen? No dark mode, rotating wallpaper etc.

Don't get me wrong, it's a genuine question!

Yet to unbox mine and deliberating on its use. Only, it seems like all the burn in avoidance takes away the shine.

I haven't done anything different.
I have not hidden my taskbar, I have not swapped to a dark theme, I still have a few icons on my desktop like I did before and I am using the same desktop background as I was using before.

So far so good, had the DW since shortly after it was released and used my PC for a good few hours pretty much every day :)

I think the other thing is not to go looking for it. I've seen videos where people can just about make a little out if the look extremely carefully with a certain colour background. Unless I spot it ordinarily why worry.

So I switched to AMD from NVidia, but apparently G sync isn't working on the AW3423DW. G sync appears turned on in the OSD but it appears off when seeing it in motion using the nvidia pendulum demo. Also there is no way to interact with the G sync on the monitor, like I can't turn it off using the AMD software. Note I'm using the ancient M0B101 version so that could be the issue.

So I switched to AMD from NVidia, but apparently G sync isn't working on the AW3423DW. G sync appears turned on in the OSD but it appears off when seeing it in motion using the nvidia pendulum demo. Also there is no way to interact with the G sync on the monitor, like I can't turn it off using the AMD software. Note I'm using the ancient M0B101 version so that could be the issue.
Worked fine when I used it on a 6800XT a while back, was on 101 iirc.

Are you using a Display Port cable? You'll need to use DP and also enable Freesync in the AMD driver software.

Gsync is Nvidia exclusive.
Freesync doesn't work. The setting is called adaptive sync compatible in the Adrenalin software. Turning it on or off does not seem to change anything.

Last edited:
Freesync doesn't work. The setting is called adaptive sync compatible in the Adrenalin software. Turning it on or off does not seem to change anything.

The monitor supports Freesync, adaptive sync is another term for Freesync when it's being achieved via Gsync module.

Which cable are you using and how are you testing that it works i.e. which software are you using to test it?

Last edited:
The monitor supports Freesync, adaptive sync is another term for Freesync when it's being achieved via Gsync module.

Which cable are you using and how are you testing that it works i.e. which software are you using to test it?
Display port cable. Using the nvidia pendulum demo and some games to test. I know when Freesync is on because of the VRR flicker.

Edit: I think Freesync is currently bugged with the rdna 3 cards on the latest amd gpu drivers. In a twist of irony, I managed to activate freesync using the windows 10 photo program and turning on full screen on a png image. The free sync was very laggy though.

Last edited:
Display port cable. Using the nvidia pendulum demo and some games to test. I know when Freesync is on because of the VRR flicker.

Edit: I think Freesync is currently bugged with the rdna 3 cards on the latest amd gpu drivers. In a twist of irony, I managed to activate freesync using the windows 10 photo program and turning on full screen on a png image. The free sync was very laggy though.

Ah, I'm on a 6800XT and Freesync is working flawlessly but if RDNA3 is bugged then that will explain your issue. Hopefully they get it resolved soon.

In an effort to remove vrr flicker for good which has proven to get slightly more annoying as I'm playing games with many dark scenes these days, I've disabled Gsync and am using RTSS's fps lock at 140. Since I have a 4090, I don't need to be concerned about low fps averages in demanding games so to hell with the flicker. Vsync off as always, Gsync off, fps lock on. It's pure smoothness as expected with no additional latency. RTSS only adds 1ms of latency total, so a complete non-issue.

Last edited:
In an effort to remove vrr flicker for good which has proven to get slightly more annoying as I'm playing games with many dark scenes these days, I've disabled Gsync and am using RTSS's fps lock at 140. Since I have a 4090, I don't need to be concerned about low fps averages in demanding games so to hell with the flicker. Vsync off as always, Gsync off, fps lock on. It's pure smoothness as expected with no additional latency. RTSS only adds 1ms of latency total, so a complete non-issue.

Tearing doesn't bother you?

This only works if it's a solid 140

If framerate is 140 one second and 100 the next, you will get screen tearing

As much as I dislike the near black flicker, I hate screen tearing much more

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom