World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Do people use the windows hdr calibration app from microsoft on these displays? I get the impression that is more aimed towards displays which don't have great out of the box calibration? @mrk

Do people use the windows hdr calibration app from microsoft on these displays? I get the impression that is more aimed towards displays which don't have great out of the box calibration? @mrk

Yes you should use it, everyone should use it, Microsoft should probably run the app by default the first time you plug in an hdr monitor

Last edited:
On the 3rd image, what do you choose (as it doesn't seem quite correct in terms of when the boxes disappear given the highest luminance is 1000 nits....) including the saturation level?

I'd also recommend downloading the latest build of SpecialK through SpecialK's Discord server and using the HDR implementation on that instead of certain games built in HDR or even when games have no HDR, It regularly outpaces both Window 11's AutoHDR and many games HDR implementation.

I'd also recommend downloading the latest build of SpecialK through SpecialK's Discord server and using the HDR implementation on that instead of certain games built in HDR or even when games have no HDR, It regularly outpaces both Window 11's AutoHDR and many games HDR implementation.

Yeah I never use auto hdr except for in starfield. Will need to try special k out again, found it a lot of faff last time I tried it.

Yeah I never use auto hdr except for in starfield. Will need to try special k out again, found it a lot of faff last time I tried it.

It's roughly 3 clicks to do an initial HDR setup with Special K.

CTRL+Shift+Backspace to open it up ingame, Click on the HDR Setup tab, And then select either HDR10 or scRGB HDR depending on which looks better, Restart the game, Done.

Some games straight up do not support SpecialK and will crash though.

Last edited:
I maxed the saturation and everything looks a little OTT now!

Yeah I think I may have gone overboard with the saturation too! On max :o But doesn't look overly saturated tbh, the default photo they provide of the sunset with the plane, I would kind of expect a very warm/orange like sunset.....

Doing a replacement for the aw3423dw, in the email they asked me to have my old monitor ready when the delivery comes to exchange the replacement for the old one. So I guess they changed the service, pretty annoying as I would prefer them waiting a day before getting my old monitor to exchange.

Code:
Here's the full text: Your replacement monitor is now being prepared for shipment. Please be aware that you must have your old monitor ready for exchange at the time of delivery. The monitor needs to be dismounted from its' base / stand and all cables disconnected where applicable. If your old monitor is not ready for exchange then the courier will not proceed with the delivery and will return the next business day to attempt the exchange. In total 3 attempts will be made by the courier to deliver the item on consecutive working days, thereafter the shipment returns to sender. If the replacement monitor is not delivered within the 3 attempts and is still required, a new service dispatch will need creating.

Last edited:
Doing a replacement for the aw3423dw, in the email they asked me to have my old monitor ready when the delivery comes to exchange the replacement for the old one. So I guess they changed the service, pretty annoying as I would prefer them waiting a day before getting my old monitor to exchange.

Code:
Here's the full text: Your replacement monitor is now being prepared for shipment. Please be aware that you must have your old monitor ready for exchange at the time of delivery. The monitor needs to be dismounted from its' base / stand and all cables disconnected where applicable. If your old monitor is not ready for exchange then the courier will not proceed with the delivery and will return the next business day to attempt the exchange. In total 3 attempts will be made by the courier to deliver the item on consecutive working days, thereafter the shipment returns to sender. If the replacement monitor is not delivered within the 3 attempts and is still required, a new service dispatch will need creating.
Yep, it was the same for me - courier asked me to put old monitor in the box of the new one. I dont mind, as the new one was brand new.

Considering they are replacing faulty DW's with brand new DW's it's odd that they discontinued the DW line in favor of the DWF which in all fairness the DWF has better input latency, User upgradeable firmware, Exact same panel etc... but I would've thought they'd keep both SKU's going.

Last edited:
What's even more bizarre that the brand new AW are REALLY fresh, mine is from August 23, so actually after the model has been removed from Dell's website.

Last edited:
What's even more bizarre that the brand new AW are REALLY fresh, mine is from August 23, so actually after the model has been removed from Dell's website.

I'm guessing they are just keeping a good amount of them on hand for the eventual returns as the DW seems quite prone to faults from what I've seen since it released, Likely the reason they chose to delist it.

Last edited:
I'm guessing they are just keeping a good amount of them on hand for the eventual returns as the DW seems quite prone to faults from what I've seen since it released, Likely the reason they chose to delist it.

What faults? Main thing I think people had issue with was the fan noise?

Think the DWF had quite a few faults with flickering, hdr not being accurate (apparently isn't quite as good as DW still but improved) but these were fixed with firmware upgrades a few months back.

I do hope they keep the DW going for longer as personally wouldn't want to go to the DWF due to reports from pcmonitors.info on the vrr flickering being more obvious (which can be already quite obvious on the DW in the right conditions), may at some stage, file for a replacement sooner than later!

What faults? Main thing I think people had issue with was the fan noise?

Think the DWF had quite a few faults with flickering, hdr not being accurate (apparently isn't quite as good as DW still but improved) but these were fixed with firmware upgrades a few months back.

I do hope they keep the DW going for longer as personally wouldn't want to go to the DWF due to reports from pcmonitors.info on the vrr flickering being more obvious (which can be already quite obvious on the DW in the right conditions), may at some stage, file for a replacement sooner than later!

Faults like lines of dead pixels, Half the screen going black, Terrible flicker etc... everyone I personally know with a DW is on their 3rd or 4th unit.

As for the DWF, The latest firmware fixed the HDR, Only real notable differences between the 2 models now is the G-Sync module being replaced with Freesync Premium Pro and 10Hz lower.

I do think the DW was really beta hardware due to it being the first QD-OLED which is why I never got one.

Back
Top Bottom