World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Cmon guys, OLED does not have a backlight, so it cannot have PWM! Its only how this matrix behaves, but its not PWM and its not causing headaches.
From rtings review of c1:
Screenshot-20220314-220852-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Hmm I guess the level of which it has an affect can only be determined by getting one and returning if it's one that does have an affect.
True. That's how I discovered that. Believe me, you really have no idea how severe it is. I guess people who are sensitive to PWM can not use PWM monitor like me. But one thing is for certain: your eyes are very important.

Cmon guys, OLED does not have a backlight, so it cannot have PWM! Its only how this matrix behaves, but its not PWM and its not causing headaches.
From rtings review of c1:
Screenshot-20220314-220852-Samsung-Internet.jpg
It's probably how the dimming has been handled. My LG A7V OLED doesn't have the waves-like dimming that you can see using phone camera for example.

Based on what I have read, I can't see this being anything other than a 10 out of 10 monitor for gaming.

Theres little weight, theres little heat, even an Eizo display is not going to come close to it.

I think some of these reviewers are sand-bagging the scores until Asus can get a price cut in or, their own OLED announcement.

I don't think many people were expecting an 175hz OLED gaming panel to come in at well under a grand, its blown my mind!

Also on the calibration side of things, this guy uploaded a video now too which covers that side of things which I found useful:

I have to say I don't really care about HDR modes in general. I just want to run in SDR with epic calibration results for colour accuracy, and then benefit from the pure blacks OLED is known for whilst gaining the higher refresh rates and virtually instant latency in games.

Well that has killed all my want for any version, even waiting in hope that in 12 months a 38" would be coming out because it just doesn't appear to have any true ability to get calibrated properly. Oh well. Saves £1100 for now for sure.

Good, there will be more stock for us! ;)

Fair but at that price point I expect proper menu options and seems this whole setup is convoluted and awful for end user and actually isn't as accurate as they wanted to claim without paying for someone to do a full calibration with 3rd party software. That is just a dumb move on what otherwise would have been ideal.

I used to have a pg27UQ for a couple years. HDR on it was really good but I ended up getting a full refund after having to RMA it about 6 times. I used some of the money a year or so ago to buy an LG GN950 as besides the HDR it was as good for a quarter of the price pretty much. I've always wanted that HDR back and ultrawide is something I've always wanted to try. I have an LG oled as my TV so I know how good it is, hence why I've been excited about these QD oled monitors. I'm really tempted to make the switch but my main concern is resolution. I have no way of actually looking at a 3440x1440 display to tell for sure but is it THAT much lower than 4k? I've done the numbers and obviously its a few million less but what I care more about is how it actually feels. I've heard no word yet of a higher res version so I'm kinda stuck as of what to do tbh. I currently have triple displays too for work at home and going back to a single display or even the UW +1 4k monitor is an option but less than ideal. Idk, what do people think?

I used to have a pg27UQ for a couple years. HDR on it was really good but I ended up getting a full refund after having to RMA it about 6 times. I used some of the money a year or so ago to buy an LG GN950 as besides the HDR it was as good for a quarter of the price pretty much. I've always wanted that HDR back and ultrawide is something I've always wanted to try. I have an LG oled as my TV so I know how good it is, hence why I've been excited about these QD oled monitors. I'm really tempted to make the switch but my main concern is resolution. I have no way of actually looking at a 3440x1440 display to tell for sure but is it THAT much lower than 4k? I've done the numbers and obviously its a few million less but what I care more about is how it actually feels. I've heard no word yet of a higher res version so I'm kinda stuck as of what to do tbh. I currently have triple displays too for work at home and going back to a single display or even the UW +1 4k monitor is an option but less than ideal. Idk, what do people think?
Well, 1440p is significantly less than 4k and it shows, especially in games with huge draw distance, like RDR 2. Everyone would be able to see missed little details. That said though, oled generally provide sharper image, so difference vs 4k ips/va will be less, especially in motion, when 1440k oled will provide better motion resolution than 4k ips hands down.

Well, 1440p is significantly less than 4k and it shows, especially in games with huge draw distance, like RDR 2. Everyone would be able to see missed little details. That said though, oled generally provide sharper image, so difference vs 4k ips/va will be less, especially in motion, when 1440k oled will provide better motion resolution than 4k ips hands down.

Hmm, maybe I should just pass and wait then. I did consider the 38 inch alienware thats 3840x 1600 but even then its not quite as sharp as 4k and I don't really want a monitor that big, nor does it give better HDR than I currently get.

I just wish the qd oled alienware had a 4k UW option lol

I have a 4K oled TV and several 1440P and a 1440P ultrawide monitors, there is quite an obvious difference in sharpness, but it does rather depend on what kind of content you are looking at exactly. I do feel like some detail is lost dropping to 1440P, that's just the way it is, nothing is as sharp as 4K that is lower resolution than it, of course ...how much you think it negatively impacts your experience is something you just need to try and see really. I personally don't feel enough of a take away for me to warrant me always gaming on my TV ...also even sitting back from it comparing 4K on a 55 inch TV is not really as useful as comparsing it to something that's the same size as my monitors all said and done.

Decided to get this over the oled42.

Cheaper and less likely to go down in price significantly.. plus can get student discount on this (hopefully).. and good warranty with Dell.

Just need to sell my aw 2721d now... anyone want it lol?

Im thinking the same. If I will be able to grab this on 22nd with delivery soon, I will take AW. If I will have to wait 2 months meanwhile 42c2 will be in stock, I will take LG. I am tired of waiting for everything these days. Im already waiting 13 months for a car, wont be waiting 2 months for a computer screen :D

Im thinking the same. If I will be able to grab this on 22nd with delivery soon, I will take AW. If I will have to wait 2 months meanwhile 42c2 will be in stock, I will take LG. I am tired of waiting for everything these days. Im already waiting 13 months for a car, wont be waiting 2 months for a computer screen :D

Can get the C2 for 1249 from richer sounds with TV50. More tempting but not as tempting as 930 for the AW :D

I think I will give it a try though still unless new info pops up between now and release![/QUOTE
Hmm, maybe I should just pass and wait then. I did consider the 38 inch alienware thats 3840x 1600 but even then its not quite as sharp as 4k and I don't really want a monitor that big, nor does it give better HDR than I currently get.

I just wish the qd oled alienware had a 4k UW option lol

A 3440x1440p 34" and 38" 3440x1600 are same pixel per inch so same sharpness.

Decided to get this over the oled42.

Cheaper and less likely to go down in price significantly.. plus can get student discount on this (hopefully).. and good warranty with Dell.

Just need to sell my aw 2721d now... anyone want it lol?

Lolll you just reminded me about student discount, I can get a nice 23% off alienware monitors. that alone has made me change my mind and I'm gonna get one now.

Back
Top Bottom