World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

enchantedwilow.gif

I'm so torn between the new 34" and the current IPS 38" from Alienware, cannot make a decision at all.

Its going to be for everything form movies, games to some light productivity and dev....anyone?

I'm so torn between the new 34" and the current IPS 38" from Alienware, cannot make a decision at all.

Its going to be for everything form movies, games to some light productivity and dev....anyone?

My use is pretty much the same & I would advise to go for the 38". In fact buy mine from the MM after I get the QD-OLED. You definitely don't want this monitor, no sir! :p

Serious answer - this will almost certainly be better for movies and games, but given the text clarity issues reported above, I do have some concerns about how good it is for dev work. Since Dell's return policy is pretty good, I'm going to pick it up regardless and see what it's like for myself.

Yup monitor has too many issues (the purple and green fringing does seem to be pretty obvious even in normal usage according to quite a few users now especially since it's been highlighted what to look for) and little to no stock. Can see why it is priced rather well/cheaply now. All that and with coming into warmer weather, not much point bothering now. Think Samsung's one will be better as well, at the very least on the price front anyway.

[paranoid deluded mode]
I see your game, psyche folks out - all while your grubby fingers are smashing a page refresh with card details already entered into your browser. Yes, yes I see you!
[/paranoid deluded mode]

My use is pretty much the same & I would advise to go for the 38". In fact buy mine from the MM after I get the QD-OLED. You definitely don't want this monitor, no sir! :p

Serious answer - this will almost certainly be better for movies and games, but given the text clarity issues reported above, I do have some concerns about how good it is for dev work. Since Dell's return policy is pretty good, I'm going to pick it up regardless and see what it's like for myself.

Might await a flood of MM monitors then.....

The 38" is currently £999

But I have a 20% code so can get the new one for maybe £900 ish (obviously have to wait though)

I was incredibly hyped for this monitor, but the more comparisons I see, the more I think that for anyone that can fit a slightly larger screen, 42c2 is far better and more universal choice.

I have the 38” LG GL950G and this monitor. For gaming and movie watching, the OLED blows it away. You’d think the 38” was a budget monitor with these side by side, and I’m not exaggerating. Motion clarity is amazing, easily the best I’ve seen on any display when running at 175Hz.

I’ve no problems with the text and I write code for 5-6 hours a day usually. Compared to other 1440p displays, it is a bit worse in this regard but the color fringing is only noticeable to me when putting my face right up against the screen or less than 1ft away. I think most won’t have a problem, unless they are coming from a high pixel density display like the 27-32” 4K as text looks a lot better on those especially when DPI scaling is on.

HDR looks great to me on this panel. On the LG, it felt more like a gimmick in most cases and I never really used it. But here there’s an immediate PQ benefit. Doom Eternal looks absolutely incredible in HDR on the OLED.

I do wish this monitor was available in 38”, but going back to 34” doesn’t feel like a massive step down at least. For gaming the size downgrade is less noticeable- mostly it’s the vertical res for productivity that I miss.

Just had a look to see if a product page was there yet (no) but the 38 inch IPS still listed for £1,300 with a coupon code right on the page to get it for £1,000

Dell pricing is bizarre

Just had a look to see if a product page was there yet (no) but the 38 inch IPS still listed for £1,300 with a coupon code right on the page to get it for £1,000

Dell pricing is bizarre

Dell pricing has always reminded me of buying double glazing.

"Here's a ridiculous price with a ridiculous discount to get our product at something approaching sensible."

Dell pricing is bizarre

They've probably realised that most people aren't going to buy the 38" at full price at least until waiting to see what this is like. You also can't use the £300 code along with any advantage/student discounts, so tbh it just brings it down to parity with those prices.

I have the 38” LG GL950G and this monitor. For gaming and movie watching, the OLED blows it away. You’d think the 38” was a budget monitor with these side by side, and I’m not exaggerating. Motion clarity is amazing, easily the best I’ve seen on any display when running at 175Hz.

I’ve no problems with the text and I write code for 5-6 hours a day usually. Compared to other 1440p displays, it is a bit worse in this regard but the color fringing is only noticeable to me when putting my face right up against the screen or less than 1ft away. I think most won’t have a problem, unless they are coming from a high pixel density display like the 27-32” 4K as text looks a lot better on those especially when DPI scaling is on.

HDR looks great to me on this panel. On the LG, it felt more like a gimmick in most cases and I never really used it. But here there’s an immediate PQ benefit. Doom Eternal looks absolutely incredible in HDR on the OLED.

I do wish this monitor was available in 38”, but going back to 34” doesn’t feel like a massive step down at least. For gaming the size downgrade is less noticeable- mostly it’s the vertical res for productivity that I miss.

Guessing you are in the US if you have this already? Good to know you don't have any issues when using it for coding, it seems like it's very much down to the individual whether it's an issue, but the more people who report it isn't the better :)

For info I sold my AW38 on eBay a couple of days ago for £715 + £35 courier postage (it was a guess, ended up costing me £28.something via UPS Door-to-Door)

Back
Top Bottom