World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Associate
Oh aye.......never drops below 80/90 or so, but never feels like it. Even locked at min/max 60 it never seems smooth.
It's strange because I don't recall seeing such issues the last time I tried it out months ago on the previous 21:9 monitor setup so not sure if some update or driver issue has messed things up. Looks fine enough I suppose, especially with the HDR, but pan that camera around espcially in a Wasp up high and its jutterville.
Ah well...

Associate
I’ve been following this thread with interest. Some great info.

I was lucky enough to receive my AW3423DW a couple of days ago. Wow. The picture quality is jaw dropping. Very pleased indeed.

However I’m wondering if anyone can share their experience with the fan noise and operation.
I’m coming from an AW3821DW – I could only hear it's fan by putting my ear next to the monitor, the sound was a low woosh – typical fan sound. Absolutely fine.

I understand the AW3423DW has two fans – one of them on mine sounds ‘buzzy’ a bit like an electrical hum sound.
And the most concerning thing is it doesn’t seem to turn off! 12 hours in standby and it was still on.

Does anyone else’s monitor exhibit this behavior?

Thanks.

Man of Honour
^^ I was just typing about fan noise as an update and saw your post pop up!

The fan noise now that I've been using the replacement a while is definitely on a different pitch to my original one. I actually don't mind at all the resonance of this one whereas the other one once the monitor was warm from being used all day would spin at a higher pitch that, depending on the position I was sat at, would either feel slightly annoying to my ear or be a resonance that I could just put to one side.

This one has a different resonance that is just less obvious, more in the background if that makes sense. It's still audible, but it's not being a distraction regardless of how I sit.

And yep the two fan thing is correct, the one on the left side is the one that sounds buzzy and is seemingly constantly on. I've only ever heard it off a couple of times from memory, and that was after I manually turned the screen off with the button before going to be rather than relying on standby through an OS trigger or no signal etc.

Man of Honour
How you finding the Nad 3045? Was eyeing that up, but is it worth 600 quid?

It's a terrific little amp with big power for both speakers and headphones. I had the much more expensive D 7050 before it and the 3045 sounds louder/better due to improvements in the components. It also has 200 wpc for speakers as and when it needs which probably explains why it sounds louder than the 7050.

I only paid £500 for it though so kinda worked out a decent value for the upgrade as my 7050 had a fault and was out of warranty.

Some will no doubt recommend a Topping or SMLS equivalent as they are much cheaper but also sound really good. But I'm a huge fan of the "NAD sound" that I haven't been able to find anywhere else and just how easy they are to pair with whatever speaker or headphone.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Anyone else been messing about with DLDSR on this monitor? Thoughts?

Been trying it out in a few games now and I am rather impressed. The uplift in image quality was not that much when I did it on my 4K monitor as I recall and upscaling to 8K was crippling anyway. But here you still end up with decent fps in most games.

Soldato
It's a terrific little amp with big power for both speakers and headphones. I had the much more expensive D 7050 before it and the 3045 sounds louder/better due to improvements in the components. It also has 200 wpc for speakers as and when it needs which probably explains why it sounds louder than the 7050.

I only paid £500 for it though so kinda worked out a decent value for the upgrade as my 7050 had a fault and was out of warranty.

Some will no doubt recommend a Topping or SMLS equivalent as they are much cheaper but also sound really good. But I'm a huge fan of the "NAD sound" that I haven't been able to find anywhere else and just how easy they are to pair with whatever speaker or headphone.

Ya, I managed to get mine for £479.99 iirc -- great little amp for that (the size was one of the selling points for me too). Paired great with my B&W 607 S2 Anniversarys :p

Associate
I’ve been following this thread with interest. Some great info.

I was lucky enough to receive my AW3423DW a couple of days ago. Wow. The picture quality is jaw dropping. Very pleased indeed.

However I’m wondering if anyone can share their experience with the fan noise and operation.
I’m coming from an AW3821DW – I could only hear it's fan by putting my ear next to the monitor, the sound was a low woosh – typical fan sound. Absolutely fine.

I understand the AW3423DW has two fans – one of them on mine sounds ‘buzzy’ a bit like an electrical hum sound.
And the most concerning thing is it doesn’t seem to turn off! 12 hours in standby and it was still on.

Does anyone else’s monitor exhibit this behavior?

Thanks.

Gaming wise how does it compare to the 3821 I always wanted one of those originally but didn't have the GPU to drive it.

Going back to my g7 today and the image sharpness in motion isn't as good but it did burn my eyes out when I went back to it I used to run it at 100 brightness after using the 3423 I'm down to 60on the g7 now as my eyes were watering

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Give the DLDSR a go, it works quite well in combination with dlss although still won't get you to the same clarity/sharpness levels as a 27" 4k screen.
I agree it is not exactly the same, but it really helps (more than I expected actually) and comes especially in handy for me in older games where you have tons of fps available you can spare on improving IQ.

Got a few more games to test and going to then do a clean install of Windows 11. Once done doing more tests on that might get Game Pass for a month to try out Guardians of the Galaxy and Halo Infinite. Nothing else on that service right now interest me so for £1 for a month can easily get through those two games :)

Man of Honour
I tried DLDSR earlier in Cyberpunk and the image felt sharp and fluid. Although it was sharp anyway at native 3440x1440 without it (I am on DLSS Balanced but with everything else maxed and RTX/SSR on Psycho for ref).

I'm assuming that it's basically in nvidia cpl just had DSR Factors set to 2.25x DL for global and then any game you then play at whatever res will use DSR at that 2.25x rate?

If so then Cyberpunk was still giving me 60fps+, and if that game with RTX on gets that, all other games will be even better lol.

Associate
Monitor continues to impress....caught up with some Dying Light 2 I'd been putting off.

But.....Halo Infinite is a real puzzler. Played through it on the Series X, so not really checked out the PC version too much, but a smooth experience it is not. Don't care what the monitor says on the OSD or Afterburner etc, whether it's down to frame pacing issues or whatever, it's a real stuttering mess.
you need to lock it to 60fps otherwise it stutters.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I tried DLDSR earlier in Cyberpunk and the image felt sharp and fluid. Although it was sharp anyway at native 3440x1440 without it (I am on DLSS Balanced but with everything else maxed and RTX/SSR on Psycho for ref).

I'm assuming that it's basically in nvidia cpl just had DSR Factors set to 2.25x DL for global and then any game you then play at whatever res will use DSR at that 2.25x rate?

If so then Cyberpunk was still giving me 60fps+, and if that game with RTX on gets that, all other games will be even better lol.
I only have a poorly 3070 so no chance of using DLDSR in Cyberpunk. Will do once I get my 4070/80 though.

I was messing about with it in Resident Evil 2 & 3 remakes and at native without any aa the games have jaggies and shimmering galore. When you select the higher resolution enabled by DLDSR it really cleans up the image, not perfect but so much better and looks way better than using TAA which blurs the hell out of those games for a completely different look.

Got one question for you. To get 10bit working I go to nvidia control panel and do it from there and set refresh rate to 144hz. Yet picking 10bit does not disable 175hz in the menu. So say I load up a game I was in that had previously been set to 175hz in the game settings then it just uses that even though I am am at 10bit 144hz in windows outside of the game, but obviously at that point it can’t be 10bit then no? Maybe this is a Windows 10 thing or maybe I am missing something?

Associate
Gaming wise how does it compare to the 3821 I always wanted one of those originally but didn't have the GPU to drive it.

Going back to my g7 today and the image sharpness in motion isn't as good but it did burn my eyes out when I went back to it I used to run it at 100 brightness after using the 3423 I'm down to 60on the g7 now as my eyes were watering

I much prefer it to the 3821. A bit easier to drive and looks amazing. The 38 was a bit too big for my setup, I had to pull my desk away from the wall to get a better viewing distance and I was still too close. I wasn't properly seeing the edges of the screen in my peripheral vision.
The 38 was my first ultrawide and I thought bigger was better. I should've bought a 34 to begin with. But all is good now. :)

^^ I was just typing about fan noise as an update and saw your post pop up!

The fan noise now that I've been using the replacement a while is definitely on a different pitch to my original one. I actually don't mind at all the resonance of this one whereas the other one once the monitor was warm from being used all day would spin at a higher pitch that, depending on the position I was sat at, would either feel slightly annoying to my ear or be a resonance that I could just put to one side.

This one has a different resonance that is just less obvious, more in the background if that makes sense. It's still audible, but it's not being a distraction regardless of how I sit.

And yep the two fan thing is correct, the one on the left side is the one that sounds buzzy and is seemingly constantly on. I've only ever heard it off a couple of times from memory, and that was after I manually turned the screen off with the button before going to be rather than relying on standby through an OS trigger or no signal etc.

Thanks. Is the buzzy fan for the G-sync? I don't understand why it needs to be permanently on. Bug perhaps?

I've just had a look at the specs -

Power Consumption Stand by
0.5 Watt

Power Consumption (Off Mode)
0.3 Watt

Two modes?

Man of Honour
I only have a poorly 3070 so no chance of using DLDSR in Cyberpunk. Will do once I get my 4070/80 though.

I was messing about with it in Resident Evil 2 & 3 remakes and at native without any aa the games have jaggies and shimmering galore. When you select the higher resolution enabled by DLDSR it really cleans up the image, not perfect but so much better and looks way better than using TAA which blurs the hell out of those games for a completely different look.

Got one question for you. To get 10bit working I go to nvidia control panel and do it from there and set refresh rate to 144hz. Yet picking 10bit does not disable 175hz in the menu. So say I load up a game I was in that had previously been set to 175hz in the game settings then it just uses that even though I am am at 10bit 144hz in windows outside of the game, but obviously at that point it can’t be 10bit then no? Maybe this is a Windows 10 thing or maybe I am missing something?

Ah yes the nv control panel setting for changing colour bit and refresh rate, the supporting option is only selectable once you click apply on the first one. So if you selected 175Hz, 10bit will still be available until you actually click apply, at which point the screen refreshes and now only 8 bit is available. That's how it behaves in Windows 11 anyway.

If you select 144Hz and 10 bit in nv contorl panel and leave it at that, then if you then go to right click desktop > Display Settings and from there choose say 175Hz, it will switch to 175Hz and 8 bit. If you then select 144Hz again, it will revert back to 144Hz and 10 bit.

I much prefer it to the 3821. A bit easier to drive and looks amazing. The 38 was a bit too big for my setup, I had to pull my desk away from the wall to get a better viewing distance and I was still too close. I wasn't properly seeing the edges of the screen in my peripheral vision.
The 38 was my first ultrawide and I thought bigger was better. I should've bought a 34 to begin with. But all is good now. :)

Thanks. Is the buzzy fan for the G-sync? I don't understand why it needs to be permanently on. Bug perhaps?

I've just had a look at the specs -

Power Consumption Stand by
0.5 Watt

Power Consumption (Off Mode)
0.3 Watt

Two modes?

I think what that refers to is when you press the power button to turn it off, that s the 0.3 watt rating. If you let it go into standby via no signal detection or OS trigger (sleep mode for the display etc in Windows), then that is th e0.5 watt as the screen has to have residual power flowing still in order to detect when the OS/system wakes again.

Yes I think the buzzy fan is the Gsync fan. The other fan that you hear is likely the power supply fan as this has that internal.

Caporegime
Completed dying light 2 earlier on just in time before I have to go back to my ips 34" for a week or so :( So just replaying some games for the time being now.

Still amazed at how much better the colours, hdr and general IQ is compared to my LG e7. Gsync is defo better than freesync for lower fps range too.

ZrUHrqs.jpg

qLLig60.jpg

1L0LRam.jpg

BdG5AAE.jpg

nx5nA9w.jpg

UBu0JmM.jpg

I agree it is not exactly the same, but it really helps (more than I expected actually) and comes especially in handy for me in older games where you have tons of fps available you can spare on improving IQ.

Got a few more games to test and going to then do a clean install of Windows 11. Once done doing more tests on that might get Game Pass for a month to try out Guardians of the Galaxy and Halo Infinite. Nothing else on that service right now interest me so for £1 for a month can easily get through those two games :)

RDR 2 is a very good show case for DLDSR in combo with dlss. I don't use it much though as prefer higher fps, especially now on this thing and getting a taste for 170+fps/hz!

Man of Honour
I want to reinstall RDR 2 but really CBA with Rockstar Launcher.. I've given up on all other storefronts other than STEAM now, so if the game doesn't launch through STEAM then I'm unlikely to ever buy into it (GTA 6 may be an exception though lol).

Have to say though God of War HDR isn't as impressive as Cyberpunk. The game's animation style and colour grading means that the pros of HDR don't seem to be realised to the fullest like they do in Cyberpunk's neon lit world.

I'm also less fussed about HDR sinceany screenshots of game footage captures are all washed out since there is no way to capture HDR gameplay yet it seems.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Ah yes the nv control panel setting for changing colour bit and refresh rate, the supporting option is only selectable once you click apply on the first one. So if you selected 175Hz, 10bit will still be available until you actually click apply, at which point the screen refreshes and now only 8 bit is available. That's how it behaves in Windows 11 anyway.

Basically same as 10 then. Weird why windows does not allow you to select the 8 or 10 bit though I thought. Also felt that when in 10bit 175hz should not show up full stop u til you are in 8bit again.

If you select 144Hz and 10 bit in nv contorl panel and leave it at that, then if you then go to right click desktop > Display Settings and from there choose say 175Hz, it will switch to 175Hz and 8 bit. If you then select 144Hz again, it will revert back to 144Hz and 10 bit.

Cool, that’s what I thought might be the case.

Completed dying light 2 earlier on just in time before I have to go back to my ips 34" for a week or so :( So just replaying some games for the time being now.

Finally you finished it… not a patch on Far Cry 6 right? :cry:

RDR 2 is a very good show case for DLDSR in combo with dlss. I don't use it much though as prefer higher fps, especially now on this thing and getting a taste for 170+fps/hz!

Might give that a go at some point. But no rush, will wait until I have nothing else I fancy playing as that game just did not grab me.

I want to reinstall RDR 2 but really CBA with Rockstar Launcher.. I've given up on all other storefronts other than STEAM now, so if the game doesn't launch through STEAM then I'm unlikely to ever buy into it (GTA 6 may be an exception though lol).
I have been doing this for sometime. I do have RDR2 on steam, but still needs the rockstar launcher anyway which is annoying. Steam is where it’s at for me. Not interested in any other launcher if I can help it.

I'm also less fussed about HDR sinceany screenshots of game footage captures are all washed out since there is no way to capture HDR gameplay yet it seems.

Yea, I tried taking a print screen earlier today and it did not look right at all when in HDR.

Man of Honour
Yup, I feel we are still in HDR infancy, on PC at least anyway.

Here's what the fan noise is like on mine. The monitor has been on all day and the front of the screen does exert some warmth if I put my palms up close. There's no backlight so I did not expect an OLED panel to release such heat so I imagine this is in part due to the power supply being internal , and the Gsync Ultimate module perhaps? Or is it because of the higher refresh rate resulting in extra heat generation perhaps.

Either way, the screen has loads of ventilation circling the whole white area of the back so ample cooling.

Oh you can also feel the fan's airflow if you place your palm on top of the monitor around the ambient light sensor areas. There's also some airflow on the top left area above where I suspect is the Gsync module's fan.

Back
Top Bottom