World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Caporegime
Thought this was interesting on the gsync module, from pcmonitorsinfo:

It’s still a bit better on the Nvidia side than AMD side, but both are just fine really and a big improvement over previous firmware versions. I still have an affinity to the ‘DW’ due to the other benefits I mentioned on the first page of this thread – related to the G-SYNC module (lower VRR flickering, seamless operation throughout VRR range and less ‘micro stuttering’).

The issue with what could broadly be called ‘VRR flickering’ can manifest in various ways. It can be caused by a panel’s sensitivity to the voltage fluctuations that occur when the refresh rate changes, particularly large changes that would occur for example when the LFC boundary is crossed. VA models are usually particularly prone to this. Very occasionally IPS models will have this issue, but it’s rare. G-SYNC modules offer more careful voltage regulation and tighter tuning and will generally eliminate this form of VRR flickering with any panel type. It can also be caused, to a more minor degree in most cases, by slight shifts in gamma as refresh rate changes in a VRR environment. These shifts usually occur for darker to medium-dark shades when significant fluctuations occur and can even be observed on OLED models – for example, this occurs on the Dell Alienware AW3423DW even though it has a G-SYNC module. Most IPS models are free from this sort of VRR flickering as well.

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Buy now and be prepared for eternal and infinite buyer's remorse when the new models drop.

Yeah that's what im thinking now, i know i will no doubt as it's not a huge wait for the new models to come to market. On the other hand, this is a stonkingly good deal though for just shy over £700.

Caporegime
I think if you're running sub 40 fps in games then maybe its better to use the money on a GPU upgrade...

That's a given but I'm not really that bothered on the advantage of gsync for <40 fps but more on the "consistently" varying fps and the impact this has on the micro stuttering and flickering mentioned by PCM (which is common in games nowadays). I personally notice some flickering in certain shades of grey on my DW so would be curious to see how much more noticeable this is on the freesync version especially when fps is variable to lows of 40-50s is common enough if playing new triple a titles.

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Yeah that's what im thinking now, i know i will no doubt as it's not a huge wait for the new models to come to market. On the other hand, this is a stonkingly good deal though for just shy over £700.

Is there any solid info on when we can expect them, beyond rumours?
I've been flipping back and forth deciding between one of these or one of the non ultrawide OLEDs for weeks now, finally decided last night I was definitely gonna get one of these, but now I might have changed my mind yet again!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
That's a given but I'm not really that bothered on the advantage of gsync for <40 fps but more on the "consistently" varying fps and the impact this has on the micro stuttering and flickering mentioned by PCM (which is common in games nowadays). I personally notice some flickering in certain shades of grey on my DW so would be curious to see how much more noticeable this is on the freesync version especially when fps is variable to lows of 40-50s is common enough if playing new triple a titles.

Yep. I notice it in some games to. For example Mortal Kombat 11 it is easy to see in the menus. It is usually the menus mind you, never noticed it in game play so not much of an issue for me.

Man of Honour
Why are some people (this example is from reddit) this way :rolleyes:
I would highly advise against using QD-OLED for photo editing if it's serious. The consumer OLED panels like QD-OLED and WOLED are unsuitable for colourwork. QD-OLED's in particular suffer from serious desaturation issues, particularly in red. The displays are also harder to calibrate reliably due to metameric failure. QD-OLED's suffer from this the worse, possibly due to the lack of polarizing layer. They also hold their calibration over time pretty poorly.

If you look at the professional displays, you'll notice a distinct lack of QD-OLED and WOLED displays. OLED's got some serious issues to overcome for colourwork and it's proving much harder than thought. Sony switched back to LCD and JOLED is bankrupt.

Yes, professional displays still haven't moved on from 60Hz LCD panels.... It's going to be a hot minute before they shift over to newer OLED tech panels no doubt.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there any solid info on when we can expect them, beyond rumours?
I've been flipping back and forth deciding between one of these or one of the non ultrawide OLEDs for weeks now, finally decided last night I was definitely gonna get one of these, but now I might have changed my mind yet again!

Honestly not a clue, im doing some research today so will post back in here when i find more. Some model numbers and variants would be nice to know especially pricing.

Soldato
Honestly not a clue, im doing some research today so will post back in here when i find more. Some model numbers and variants would be nice to know especially pricing.

Thanks, yeah be good to hear how you get on.
I've been searching myself and have found some people suggesting a few months, but another saying version 2 is a year or two away and that what we will be getting soon is more of a version 1 refresh.

Associate
just got this monitor its seems excellent!
flicking through the menus it says its on M3B103 is that the lastest firmware already installed?

edit - had a look the newest is M3B104.

do i also need to install other stuff like Alienware Command Center Application - Full Installer and Dell Display Manager Application or just the firmware update?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got my monitor now it's lovely I have to say. Updated the firmware to latest. Just a couple of questions.. What mode on desktop and in game does everyone use? Do I turn on use HDR in windows 11 and leave it. As it washes colour out somewhat when on. And do you use HDR 1000 all the time?

Back
Top Bottom