Worst places in England.

Soldato
Derby is going down hill, very fast recently. We are thinking of moving up north. Middlesbrough/Darlington way. Some will say why there. My wifes family are up that way and she can get a transfer to the main hospitals around those areas. Some good schools for my lads special needs if we need them, closer to the coast, cheaper houses, fresh start and away from the history that follows us here in Derby.

Soldato
Make sure to live outside of both of those towns if you do move up here as they are both dumps.

If you've got some money, have a look at Wynyard, the villages around Yarm and Stokesley or Great Ayton.
Of course, we don't like city living. Villages are out of our price range and I don't drive (wife does, but am the carer for our kids and school runs will have to be on foot or bus). Her grandparents are in Darlington in one of the eastern residential areas, a way from the main city/town. It seemed nice around there when we visited a few months back.

Man of Honour
That was my second choice of comment to highlight the absurdity in this thread - where someone has unilaterally decided that moon man moved to Stoke (despite him never saying anything of the sort) and then got increasingly angry at him about typos - while continuing to refuse to countenance any suggestion that he is not, in fact, living in Stoke.

At this point moon man, I think you just have to accept things and move to Stoke.
We'll have to add "appeasing a mad man" to the list of three acceptable reasons.

We are getting some strange people.
Another new poster has joined recently and decided to not read what I actually wrote and then goes on to prove that what I wrote is what I originally told him :)

Permabanned
OP
We are getting some strange people.
Another new poster has joined recently and decided to not read what I actually wrote and then goes on to prove that what I wrote is what I originally told him :)
We are all strange in our own ways my dude, some just show it more freely, some are inscure about their strangeness and try to push it back so point fingers at others being strange.

But you have a point.

I am a strange one too, I can bridge different topics into the same one with out-there things because the majority don't dabble in actually trying to learn things that are not mainstream.
Most believe what they are taught and take it at face value.

Last edited:
Soldato
Erith is just as bad. Feels like I am in a different country when driving through there.

Like most truckers say the best road in London is the slip road coming onto the M11 Northbound. :D

The UK is like an Italy or Greece in the making anyway. In 100 years time the whole place will be a dump. If you have a chance to get yourself another passport. Get out while you can :p
Lol i live in Belvedere which isn’t great either.

Associate
Stoke,Wolverhampton, Bradford.

Those are the most depressing towns I’ve been to in the U.K.

Few bits of London that are pretty grim as well but for some reason they aren’t as depressing, probably because London’s quite a busy and lively place.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Of course, we don't like city living. Villages are out of our price range and I don't drive (wife does, but am the carer for our kids and school runs will have to be on foot or bus). Her grandparents are in Darlington in one of the eastern residential areas, a way from the main city/town. It seemed nice around there when we visited a few months back.

There's always Redcar too

Soldato
Interesting reading in this thread.

We're currently in NZ (been for 8 years now) and loosely toying with the idea of moving back to the UK in a couple of years.

Looking at Edinburgh or Oxford as possibilities but nothing definite.

I took citizenship a few years ago so Australia also a possibility with free movement between NZ and OZ, but the thought of living there don't really spin my wheels.

But good to know the places you absolutely don't want to live in!

Soldato
I was born in Dewsbury and yes its pretty grim now ,back in the day there was an independent cinema and an M&S now its brighthouse a few charity shops and low end product shops and empty units.
The thing that gets me is the people there look beaten by life ,existing not living but i see that in lots of places i visit like Swindon for instance

You need to be where you love to be or you are wasting your life

Swindon has been on a decline for decades though. The town honestly haven't had any serious investment in at least 20 years. There have been a number of big employers who have pulled their HQ out of Swindon. If Nationwide closed down half the town would be unemployed.

They were supposed to be having a big brand new shopping center built even with an indoor ski slope. But as expected that flopped when the investor pulled out.

The problem they have is that after years of no investment people travel to Bristol or Oxford for shopping etc, so there's very little money spent in the town.

Soldato
Make sure to live outside of both of those towns if you do move up here as they are both dumps.

If you've got some money, have a look at Wynyard, the villages around Yarm and Stokesley or Great Ayton.
Wynyard has no soul. Houses are beautiful, no community feel at all though.

Soldato
Wow, 1 minute into that first video and I can't watch any more. Just listing random city names without quantifying anything other than his 'thorough research and visits and chats to mates'.

What utter nonsense.

Soldato
Swindon has been on a decline for decades though. The town honestly haven't had any serious investment in at least 20 years. There have been a number of big employers who have pulled their HQ out of Swindon. If Nationwide closed down half the town would be unemployed.

They were supposed to be having a big brand new shopping center built even with an indoor ski slope. But as expected that flopped when the investor pulled out.

The problem they have is that after years of no investment people travel to Bristol or Oxford for shopping etc, so there's very little money spent in the town.

tbf i didn't see much of it, went to a bridal warehouse there, experienced the magic roundabout and it just seemed a lot of mass concrete in town .my eldest lives in Farringdon Oxfordshire, nice place but the surrounding main roads seem a little manic

Soldato
Derby is going down hill, very fast recently. We are thinking of moving up north. Middlesbrough/Darlington way. Some will say why there. My wifes family are up that way and she can get a transfer to the main hospitals around those areas. Some good schools for my lads special needs if we need them, closer to the coast, cheaper houses, fresh start and away from the history that follows us here in Derby.
Where in Derby are you? Like most places there are bits on the decline and others that are not. To be honest there are scum everywhere really. My neighbour is a violent scum POS and i live in the better (Yes there is a better part) of Sinfin. My mates dad had his house in a really nice area of Mickleover(Near the hospital) rented out for years with no issue but then they started not paying the rent and not answering the door etc, he got them kicked out and while they were seeing what they needed to do to get the house back on the market they found they had a massive weed grow in the attic... Its more the people that make places scummy not the actual place. Yeah Derby is boring, small and the town is shadow of its self and the traffic can get bad at times but it takes me 20 mins to get to work. I have not seen a massive amount of trouble but then again i dont really frequent town any longer or go near Normanton or Chadd.

Back
Top Bottom