X4 Foundations

Soldato
Watched Cohh play some of this last night and it looked good, for someone who's never played an X game are they easy to pick up but difficult to master or more like Eve where I need to make it a second job?

Caporegime
it's a single player game why would you need to treat it like a job.
I'm assuming it's exactly like the other X games and you can work your way up to having a massive fleet of automated miners and trading ships making money for you whilst you explore/fight pirates or whatever.
Then eventually build your own stations.

I'm assuming in this one you will be able to own sectors of space and have your own proper mini empire. (if not someone will mod it in anyway)

Probably has a steep learning curve for someone who never played the older X games

Caporegime
Seems to have brought over the ship component idea from Rebirth and built it around the more free-roam X-X3 games instead, which is neato. And the Intro implied a gate was operational... so goodness knows if that's the story or what.

The docking thing is cool but it's only cool once, i hope a docking computer still works the same and insta docks...

Soldato
It still seems like it's stuck in the old days with the small zones of space, instead of using a procedural universe with planets etc.

Caporegime
It still seems like it's stuck in the old days with the small zones of space, instead of using a procedural universe with planets etc.

Which almost everyone realises is pointlessly boring once they play said games, you can't make an in-depth experience if you're just going to throw away universe building into a jumble of code. Especially since the X universe is already established.

Associate
The games just launched on Steam but against my better judgement I purchased it from CDKeys and despite it saying instant delivery have told me they don't have the keys yet.

Really can't wait to get into this game, the streams look amazing.

Soldato
Which almost everyone realises is pointlessly boring once they play said games, you can't make an in-depth experience if you're just going to throw away universe building into a jumble of code. Especially since the X universe is already established.

It depends how you generate it. Elite went for as realistic as possible using real starcharts and actual physics, you don't get many crescent moons and colourful starfields in real life.

But you don't have to do it like that and you can still hand make parts of it. It's a way to make a game without invisible walls, you could just fly off the edge of the map and keep going.

Last edited:
Associate
Previous games has always been a mix of story/campaign and sandbox.

You could ignore the campaign and set up own fleet, factory complex etc or join campaign at your choosing

Soldato
Yep, if I'm honest I have had a few performance issues but think it's my system more than the game because most are saying how good it is.

The game itself is amazing!

I was on a station earlier looking about and saw an option to visit a bridge in a teleporter. So I selected it and went and had a look. It wasn't until it was too late I realised I had gone onto the bridge of another docked ship which had then left the station and my ship behind lol. I could go to the outside docking bays and look back wondering how on earth I was going to get back :D

Not the greatest screenie as I'm messing with my settings but you can see the view I had :D

IlU62Pr.jpg

Soldato
I'm really tempted with this but after having issues with the previous X games and a massive list of games I still need to finish, I'll probably wait until it's on sale and the bugs are ironed out. Fingers crossed it's good though.

Associate
Now this came out of nowhere.

Some reports about the mouse not working? Can anyone confirm having the issue aswell?

Anyway I really think should try this. Skipped all the previous X - games without a good reason, but really tempted to get this.

Soldato
OP
I know it's a bit old but a i5 3570k is still decent ain't it for x4? I did oc to 4.5ghz but the aio water cooler started to leak so I got a big hsf instead so not sure if I can oc it as much now. I probs can get it to 4ghz at least.

Caporegime
playing it on a 4670k@4ghz, 8gb ram and 980ti
getting 60fps with vsync on but the game doesn't seem that well optimised imo
but had to set smaa 2x or it was like 40fps with 4x
one crash in about 6 hours of play.
turned shadows off and soft shadows but was still around 60fps with them on anyway.
I didn't really notice any shadows anyway apart from on the cockpit which went buggy after a while so it seemed better to turn them off, had like weird (black bars pulsating around some of the control panels)

weirdly smaa 4x is the max the game lets me choose because my gpu doesn't support higher wtf???
also for shadows there's only off and high, normal is greyed out???

first thing I did was a few missions, I found on stations they appear on the map as a yellow ! or whatever if you have a satellite down and you can start and finish them remotely. (some are easy as hell and pay like 75k)
hired a pilot and set my ship to auto trading, went afk to get some food came back and bought a mining ship.
Now running a miner and a medium trader.

Pretty cool how you can just afk on your own bridge and watch the other guy whos mean't to be piloting sitting there.

was on my miner and it got attacked by pirates, AI tried to escape as she was set to but ended up trapped inside a big asteroid with 7% hull lol... it saved the ship though, heard her radio for help on the comms and the military came over just before she escaped from inside the asteroid or we would have died.

Just going to play the game like an RTS/tycoon game until I've got a bit of money to buy a fun ship

I don't remember how x3 was but I can set the trading ship to trade for the mining ship or the mining ship to mine for the trader.

Probably not worth it with how dumb they are at mining though even with a resource satellite down that shows the how much asteroids with ore there is they still mine the empty roids.

AI likes to bounce off gates and stations a lot like in the old games though..

saw a few pop ups saying xenon have built stations in a few sectors so I guess the factions expanding and having proper wars for sectors must be legit.

Back
Top Bottom