Votes: 533 59.4%
  • Series S

Votes: 105 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 234 26.1%
  • Both

Votes: 25 2.8%

• Total voters
They should have done that to start with. The Series S is holding back this generation.

Is it holding anything back though? A lot of games just use a lower spec, similar to Sony who have made 99% of PS5 games for the previous generation PS4 console. The games just look and run worse. These new consoles are just like budget PCs, you can scale the quality up and down.

What held the Series X back was not enough supply at launch, so they couldn't cut ties with the old generation with the next years version of COD etc. They didn't drive any demand for kids to get them, 95% of my sons school mates are still playing fortnite or whatever on an xbox one. They didn't have a big title to say 'Gears 5' is an xbox series only game. The industry is so diluted now and games so reliant on selling seasons and passes that you cannot launch Gears 5 and say series X only.

Ignoring load times and quick resume I could have quite easily carried on with my Xbox one this gen and been just as happy.

Quick question to Xbox owners, do I need a monthly subscription for access to Sky go. Assessing options and an Xbox series S?? (the speaker one) seems to be a viable option
You no longer need a paid Xbox Live account to use video apps like SkyGo but I think you at least need SkyGo extra to use it on a console.
I use SkyGo on my Series S and I'm really impressed with it, I was surprised with the interface the most as it mimics the Q interface very nicely

Is it holding anything back though? A lot of games just use a lower spec, similar to Sony who have made 99% of PS5 games for the previous generation PS4 console. The games just look and run worse. These new consoles are just like budget PCs, you can scale the quality up and down.
Baldur’s Gate dev’s had to hold back the Xbox release because they couldn’t get it running on Series S and had to get special permission from Microsoft to drop feature parity. So split screen co-op had to be dropped for Series S.

Black Myth: Wukong is getting getting held back to later date for Xbox, which is presumed so they can get it running on Series S to a decent performance.

For a lot of dev’s PS5 is the target and sometimes it’s hard to cut the game back enough to run a far weaker system.

Last edited:
Baldur’s Gate dev’s had to hold back the Xbox release because they couldn’t get it running on Series S and had to get special permission from Microsoft to drop feature parity. So split screen co-op had to be dropped for Series S.

Black Myth: Wukong is getting getting held back to later date for Xbox, which is presumed so they can get it running on Series S to a decent performance.

For a lot of dev’s PS5 is the target and sometimes it’s hard to cut the game back enough to run a far weaker system.

Most PS5 games have made it to PS4, they just use lower settings / cut features. It's not holding anything back from the PS5 version. I.e in that example it's the PS4 version that is limited.

Most PS5 games have made it to PS4, they just use lower settings / cut features. It's not holding anything back from the PS5 version. I.e in that example it's the PS4 version that is limited.

It’s a matter of scale though. How much was ps5 version scaled down so they could get the game to work on the ps4?

There must be an upper limit for doing that before the visuals, gameplay and features simply can’t be scaled down enough to make it work in the PS4.

So the question is, has the full potential of the PS5 been realised or is there an imposed plateau to necessitate downscaling games to PS4?

It’s a matter of scale though. How much was ps5 version scaled down so they could get the game to work on the ps4?

There must be an upper limit for doing that before the visuals, gameplay and features simply can’t be scaled down enough to make it work in the PS4.

So the question is, has the full potential of the PS5 been realised or is there an imposed plateau to necessitate downscaling games to PS4?

I think the Series X hit it's limit with Hellblade 2, out of the two consoles I'm sure the X is more powerful so really is a possibility they are already at the ceiling. Rumors of a PS5 Pro soon, but I imagine that will just be more of the same, i.e higher frame rate or more consistent maintaining 4K. We probably need a real jump in spec, a true generation jump before seeing anything truly different.

Last edited:
I think the Series X hit it's limit with Hellblade 2, out of the two consoles I'm sure the X is more powerful so really is a possibility they are already at the ceiling. Rumors of a PS5 Pro soon, but I imagine that will just be more of the same, i.e higher frame rate or more consistent maintaining 4K. We probably need a real jump in spec, a true generation jump before seeing anything truly different.

I still don't see the need for a ps5 pro tbh. I never really saw the need of PS4 pro or one x either tbh, better off just doing a full next gen

I still don't see the need for a ps5 pro tbh. I never really saw the need of PS4 pro or one x either tbh, better off just doing a full next gen

Not really needed, but gotta keep the shareholders happy, big hardware releases every 8 years ain't gonna cut it :)

Consumers are as much to blame, if we didn't but them they wouldn't sell them. I'm as guilty as anyone though as owned a PS4 and bought the Pro and had a launch Switch and bought an OLED...

Spent the past few weekends playing through Cyberpunk 2077, waited nearly 4 years and it's still not perfectly bug free but I've really enjoyed it non the less. Around 42 hours in and loving the world. Was going to buy the DLC but it's out of stock.

So decided to look around HotUKDeals to see what was cheap on Xbox. Ended up buying Turok. I had an N64 but never played Turok, I was all about the multiplayer on Goldeneye, Mario Kart and Duke. Had a few hours on Turok yesterday and it's brilliant, so bad it's good old school first person shooter. Hands were sweating doing the jumping platforming sections :D

Ended up buying Turok. I had an N64 but never played Turok, I was all about the multiplayer on Goldeneye, Mario Kart and Duke. Had a few hours on Turok yesterday and it's brilliant, so bad it's good old school first person shooter. Hands were sweating doing the jumping platforming sections :D

Similar, I recently picked Turok up on PC and have been playing on Steam Deck. Lovely modern port of the original. The movement feels like you're driving a vehicle given how you tilt and lean when turning. Great, old school fun as you say.

Does Turok have updated controls? Remember it being an absolute pig on the N64 to control, have they updated it with modern FPS controls?
In short; yes.

Digital Foundry's retrospective, they talk about the PC/Xbox/Switch port

On the Steam Deck the default controls are d-pad for menus, left analog stick for movement, right analog stick for aiming and the then uses the 4+4 standard & trigger buttons. I'd imagine Xbox & Switch are the same.

EDIT: Just realised there is a PS4 port too now.

Last edited:
Similar, I recently picked Turok up on PC and have been playing on Steam Deck. Lovely modern port of the original. The movement feels like you're driving a vehicle given how you tilt and lean when turning. Great, old school fun as you say.
The tilt and lean when turning felt weird when I first started but soon got engrossed when I had a raptor charging at me :D

The game on Xbox controls the same as on Steam Deck, they feel good IMO.

Both Turok 1 & 2 are Xbox One games, Turok 3 is a Series game so I'm expecting 4K @60 FPS with HDR :)

Still going to be those that like to buy a remaster of a remaster, thats what's its going to be, remasters of all the games that have been before. Then the PS6 will come along and people will say what was the point of a ps5 pro.:cry:

Back
Top Bottom