• Series S

Votes: 105 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 25.9%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Oh god yeah I remember. It's annoying because as you say AC:V should run better on SX by all accounts, but as it turns out both versions are sub par with tearing and choppy framerates :( I fear that having VRR will be used as a crutch despite it being an uncommon feature on most users tv's.

Ubi**** have a habit of this though. The games should run very well on both consoles but I've seen pages of complaints about stuttering, crashes and weird bugs and I don't even play it! The only reason they seem to have Siege running as well as it does is due to the maps being relatively simple and small, with 10 player controlled characters on.

Soldato
I'm not saying that, the hardware on paper is more powerful that is a fact. I think the car analogy is perhaps wrong here. I'd be willing to bet that an accomplished dev say Naughty Dog can and will make much better looking games (and performance) than a lesser dev on Xbox. The hardware advantage doesn't count for anything if you have lazy or not as capable people developing for it.
I'm not sure having a more powerful console that is performing worse is really something to be happy about regardless.

Of course not, but the point here is that developers only got the proper Series X and S dev kits in June, so these reports about the PS5 blowing the Xbox out of the water a week after the console have been released are premature at best. But what many developers are saying is that from what they've been looking at, the stuff that the Xbox can do is very exciting, and that's without even fully exploring RDNA2.

There's no doubt that they're both very powerful consoles. Owning either one is going to bring some very exciting things to the table; I'm just more excited about what they'll be able to do with the Xbox because I won't be getting a PS5 simply because I have no need for two consoles, a Switch, and a PC. It doesn't matter to me which does things better, but therotically it should be Xbox given the raw power and ability.

Soldato
Of course not, but the point here is that developers only got the proper Series X and S dev kits in June, so these reports about the PS5 blowing the Xbox out of the water a week after the console have been released are premature at best. But what many developers are saying is that from what they've been looking at, the stuff that the Xbox can do is very exciting, and that's without even fully exploring RDNA2.

There's no doubt that they're both very powerful consoles. Owning either one is going to bring some very exciting things to the table; I'm just more excited about what they'll be able to do with the Xbox because I won't be getting a PS5 simply because I have no need for two consoles, a Switch, and a PC. It doesn't matter to me which does things better, but therotically it should be Xbox given the raw power and ability.

Oh yeah for sure, I was really conflicted about which one to get because of this and ultimately I just stuck with PS5 for the familiarity, part of that was accepting I may not get the 'best' experience but as long as I still have a good one then I'm fine with it. Needless to say, from the comparisons I've seen nobody is blowing anyone out the water. I did actually try the SX but logic won and I sold it because I have a PC, it's great hardware (though I really didn't like the control especially the mega loud dpad)
Depending on my living situation in future I may end up with another X because I can imagine playing Fable will be great on it and I'm weening myself off PC gaming gradually.

Soldato
Power means nothing really it’s how the devs use that power. The Last of us 2 is easily one of the best looking and most detailed games I have ever played and it was on PS Pro which was down on power and ram compared to one x.

I gave up caring about how much power one has to the other or with anything tbh. I just play the games and enjoy them for what they are. Digital Foundry have created a PC like following with consoles with all their pausing and zooming in on the pixels. I miss the old days when all you cared about was the game itself rather than the PC like details of how it’s made. If it looks good and runs good and is enjoyable does anything else really matter. All the worry about missing the reflective shadow of a leaf in games is crazy.....

Last edited:
Soldato
For those who dont know apparently internal clips (not sure about screenshots) are auto deleted on internal storage, there is no way I can find to see how full your DVR space is, its reserved unreported space.

Also xbox live uploads are not safe either, there is an auto delete system, where if views and likes are low you at risk of deletion.

Luckily you can upload to onedrive directly from the console, which I am doing now.

I am probably going to stick an external drive in there now for clips, I dont think external DVR storage auto deletes, and has proper space management.

https://streamable.com/s2wh5w

Soldato
My first finished game on the series X - Hellblade: Senua’s sacrifice

Excellent game, can’t wait for the next one. Nothing alike, but couldn’t help but think of the previous God of war. I “just liked” GOW, certainly didn’t think GOTY like most others, this fleas far more down my alley.

Soldato
I think the click-y dpad is normal (for the series s). I'm sure in this thread or another me and a few others mentioned it and others all had the same issue so it's by design. Just takes some getting used to!

rp2000

Do the series X and standalone controllers not have the issue then?

Caporegime
Do the series X and standalone controllers not have the issue then?
Not certain as I only have the white series s one. I would imagine they are the same as it's just colour differences.

But would wait till an elite controller and a series X owner to answer as I'm not an expert!

rp2000

Soldato
Not certain as I only have the white series s one. I would imagine they are the same as it's just colour differences.

But would wait till an elite controller and a series X owner to answer as I'm not an expert!

rp2000

Yeah hopefully someone can confirm, the only other controllers I own that do this are cheap £10 one's.

Soldato
Digital Foundry have created a PC like following with consoles with all their pausing and zooming in on the pixels.

They do go quite OTT at times, don't they :p Like, if it takes a 300% cropped zoom to show off the difference in a texture or reflection, it can't be a hugely significant difference.

But some of it is useful; showing off how frame rates actually perform in game vs what the developers claom, comparing PC and console performance, detailing the actual difference between the Series S version of games and the Series X/PS5 version. That stuff can be useful. Splitting hairs over small differences in textures, reflections, and frame rate really isn't. As for dynamic resolution scaling, if they have to count the pixels to work out whether it's actually 4K, then it's probably doing its job... :p

Back
Top Bottom