Your bad driving encounters

Soldato
from the camera you can't see if van driver was being flashed/antagonised by cyber, too, after he had to abort the overtake through hashed lines,
so brake checking, if you can call it that, touching brakes ? at what <20mph didn't seem OTT - van driver was probably just recovering after nearly being rammed from the side.

Caporegime
If I want driving skill advice the last place i'd take it from is in here.

I am a professional lorry driver and use this road constantly throughout the year. You were in the wrong. The only thing the van driver is guilty of is not indicating to change lanes whilst manoeuvring the roundabout otherwise it would have 100% all been on you. Nice to see you have now removed the video from Youtube as well :)

As I said before the actions of the bulk tipper artic was more dangerous but then I expect no less from tippers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cough cough...

Man of Honour
I am a professional lorry driver and use this road constantly throughout the year. You were in the wrong. The only thing the van driver is guilty of is not indicating to change lanes whilst manoeuvring the roundabout otherwise it would have 100% all been on you. Nice to see you have now removed the video from Youtube as well :)

As I said before the actions of the bulk tipper artic was more dangerous but then I expect no less from tippers.

Technically it would have been the same as if the van driver had changed lanes, if they'd indicated, and within their right to do so as they were at that point some distance ahead and didn't undertake as the poster suggested, though it might have looked like that, they were simply moving with the traffic.

However their lane did continue over to the left and they obviously thought they were following their lane - looking at it on Google maps it is yet another unnecessarily complicated roundabout layout with poor road markings and not great signage where you just have to kind of guess where your lane goes at one point if you've not done it before: https://goo.gl/maps/2GTQJfgNbeX2dcMG8

Associate
Had my first incident of dodgy driving in as far as i can remember today. Was in the middle lane on a roundabout going straight ahead (there were 4 exits). Joining the roundabout was a range rover, i indicated to turn off and turned towards the exit and at the same time he joined roundabout and not far off hit me, i assume he thought i wasn't coming off at that exit. I slammed on, he did too, he then gestured somehow, a wave or could have been a fist. I just carried on. He drove right up my rear bumper speeding up and slowing down for about the next mile, we were both turning off the road to join a motorway.

Again right up my chuff, i join the motorway with him about 5 foot behind me, i didn't go over 60mph with him that close, he comes past me, pauses when level, and does some sort of signal (might have been a w@nker sign lol) whilst mouthing off. I looked and looked away, i can't be bothered with things like this. Big black range rover the old shape possibly with a private plate. Was I the victim of road rage :D maybe he felt like he accomplished something?

Caporegime
Technically it would have been the same as if the van driver had changed lanes, if they'd indicated, and within their right to do so as they were at that point some distance ahead and didn't undertake as the poster suggested, though it might have looked like that, they were simply moving with the traffic.

However their lane did continue over to the left and they obviously thought they were following their lane - looking at it on Google maps it is yet another unnecessarily complicated roundabout layout with poor road markings and not great signage where you just have to kind of guess where your lane goes at one point if you've not done it before: https://goo.gl/maps/2GTQJfgNbeX2dcMG8

Oh yeah it is very crappy. The other way where the A500 joins onto the A50 is just as bad as you end up seeing queues on the A500 when you can quite easily stay in the second from left lane and merge in at the last moment as the slip is dual carriageway. Even worse is that the inside lane of that takes you to Stoke City football stadium instead of the A50 so is just as much a cluster bomb as the northbound route.

Soldato
have to wonder : say he had had an accident - other party saw there is a dashcam, but OP fails to present video, because camera wasn't working (/ forgot password)
whether that would count against you.

Man of Honour
have to wonder : say he had had an accident - other party saw there is a dashcam, but OP fails to present video, because camera wasn't working (/ forgot password)
whether that would count against you.
Depends if you've declared to your insurance company that you've got one I suppose, I've seen a few do ask these days when I've been getting quotes. I've got one but answer no because it doesn't lower my premium and if it decides it doesn't want to work then I don't want to give them any wriggle room.

Associate
Awww , late to the conversation and didnt get to see what it was all about :(

I'll continue to post on here, i'm not put off as long as the criticism is constructive.

Anyone who posts a vid on here expects people to comment on it and i've been a member since 2009 so I know what to expect.

Certainly created some debate, I don't accept that i'm a bad driver. I cover up to 1000 miles a week and my last accident was in 2014.

I see bad drivers on a daily basis so I thought i'd post some on here if you'll all allow me to.

Soldato
I don't think anyone is suggesting you're a bad driver, just that you made a mistake in this instance and that were not entirely free of fault yourself. Which happens to even the best drivers. What makes the best drivers, is being able to recognise when they might also have been in the wrong and adjusting, rather than dismissing any and all criticisms. Please, do keep posting and don't take it as a shun.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't think anyone is suggesting you're a bad driver, just that you made a mistake in this instance and that were not entirely free of fault yourself. Which happens to even the best drivers. What makes the best drivers, is being able to recognise when they might also have been in the wrong and adjusting, rather than dismissing any and all criticisms. Please, do keep posting and don't take it as a shun.

Doesn't happen to me. I'm awesome. :D

Soldato
I'll continue to post on here, i'm not put off as long as the criticism is constructive.

Anyone who posts a vid on here expects people to comment on it and i've been a member since 2009 so I know what to expect.

Certainly created some debate, I don't accept that i'm a bad driver. I cover up to 1000 miles a week and my last accident was in 2014.

I see bad drivers on a daily basis so I thought i'd post some on here if you'll all allow me to.

How many miles you cover in a week is irrelevant to whether you're a good driver or not, a common trope of a bad driver. "I can't be bad at the activity because I always do it"

However, a truly good driver will know that occasionally they will make a mistake & that recognising when they have and potentially learning from it is part of what makes them a good driver.

I've not seen the video because you took it down, due to the criticism, which puts you out of the 'good driver' category. You were shown to be in the wrong. Rather than accept and admit that you made a mistake, you're continuing to argue to the contrary and removed the evidence of your driving transgression.

Back
Top Bottom