Your bad driving encounters

Man of Honour
Considering you were the one left driving through the hatched markings to get into your lane I can 100% understand why he wondered WTH you were up to. If that's the correct way to use that roundabout it's impressively bad.

Man of Honour
Considering you were the one left driving through the hatched markings to get into your lane I can 100% understand why he wondered WTH you were up to. If that's the correct way to use that roundabout it's impressively bad.

The other vehicle should have veered over to the left after the exit before, but it isn't well laid out in that respect - I can see a lot of people thinking their lane continued there along the path the van took. Looked to me like the poster could have held back slightly and slotted in rather than left it so late holding their line inflexibly to the last moment, making it a non-event.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah it looks like a very "unnatural" lane layout so the obvious way to use it isn't the way the lanes are telling you to.

Both the drivers are in the wrong tbh, this is the roundabout in question:

Neither of the drivers made the effort to start moving left towards the exit, the poster of the dashcam video is especially in the wrong since he took so long to start moving to the left.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah it looks like a very "unnatural" lane layout so the obvious way to use it isn't the way the lanes are telling you to.

The lorry did the same in-front cutting up the silver estate car. Just a bad roundabout and I know this roundabout layout so cut him some slack but no need for the brake check and finger.

Associate
Both the drivers are in the wrong tbh, this is the roundabout in question:

Neither of the drivers made the effort to start moving left towards the exit, the poster of the dashcam video is especially in the wrong since he took so long to start moving to the left.

No you are wrong because I had him checked in my wing mirror and he made no attempt to move over forcing me into the checked area.

Caporegime
No you are wrong because I had him checked in my wing mirror and he made no attempt to move over forcing me into the checked area.

Are you sure you posted the right video? :p

He looks to be about three car lengths in front at the point you should have been moving left, he wasn't forcing you to do anything

Man of Honour

Problem I find with a lot of road changes/new layouts of recent years, they aren't "natural", probably based more on maximising traffic volume than making it easy for the driver, and by the time you realise if doing it for the first time it is too late.

Sometimes I suspect because someone did the minimum to get the job off their desk.

Caporegime
Your entitled to your opinion I guess

I'm just confused by you saying you had him checked in your wingmirror (implying behind you) but he's clearly way in front of you, it sounds like you're describing a different incident to the one in the video

Associate
I'm just confused by you saying you had him checked in your wingmirror (implying behind you) but he's clearly way in front of you, it sounds like you're describing a different incident to the one in the video

Ok I give up lol. Do you see the black car sandwiched between the lorry and the silver offender? that is the correct route to take on this roundabout and thats the end of the discussion as far as i'm concerned. No harm done, no accident because I am a defensive driver.

Maybe this guy will break check the wrong person in future and get a lamping.

Caporegime
Ok I give up lol. Do you see the black car sandwiched between the lorry and the silver offender? that is the correct route to take on this roundabout and thats the end of the discussion as far as i'm concerned. No harm done, no accident because I am a defensive driver.

Maybe this guy will break check the wrong person in future and get a lamping.

I can see what the correct route to take would be, I can't see that he's forced you to do anything though, he was far enough in front that you could have continued to take the correct path rather than hugging the kerb like the pickup in front of you did. He'd have ended up in front of you (which would obviously be wrong on his part) but there was no need for you to go driving through the hatched area or anything really - you could have just maintained speed and watched him go in front rather than speed up a bit so you could get on the horn and make a point.

Associate
I can see what the correct route to take would be, I can't see that he's forced you to do anything though, he was far enough in front that you could have continued to take the correct path rather than hugging the kerb like the pickup in front of you did. He'd have ended up in front of you (which would obviously be wrong on his part) but there was no need for you to go driving through the hatched area or anything really - you could have just maintained speed and watched him go in front rather than speed up a bit so you could get on the horn and make a point.

That would be a merge in turn roundabout lol

Man of Honour
I dunno what the traffic was like around you off-camera but defensive driving would have been realising he was continuing into the wrong lane at 25-26 seconds and easing in behind instead of pushing up late into your turn - looks to me like he made a mistake, like the lorry ahead, due to a somewhat clunky layout, rather than malicious intent.

Personally I hate roundabouts - one I used the other day has a horrible exit which is a silly angle from the intended lane and where pedestrians often cross just after the apex of the corner the exit turns into, in taking a slightly wider line to increase visibility, though I was indicating into the exit I gave someone about to join the impression I was going on round as I was mostly into the next lane and they went to go before realising I was cutting across them then gave me a scowl. (EDIT: Also kind of bad on my part in that if driving anything bigger than the Qashqai you pretty much have to take that line, but I was driving the Qashqai and mostly just took it out of habit rather than necessity though still advisable due to visibility).

Last edited:
Caporegime
This one from Stoke-on-Trent this week going north on A500, car undertakes me and then cuts in front giving me the finger.

You was too over to the right. You even went over the hatch markings. You were not following the lines on your nearside. From 21 seconds on you were in completely the wrong position. You were in the right lane initially but stayed far too right as if you were going to loop round and go back up the A50 instead of onto the A500.

You can use both right and second from right lane to get on the A500 but the second from right has a second merge further up the road to join the A500 (This is where most people panic as they think they are in the wrong lane and heading towards the A5006) whereas the lane you are in takes you directly onto the A500. The van most likely thought you were going all the way around back up the A50 towards Derby because your positioning was all wrong.

The lorry was a complete numpty though as he forced the Mercedes over and couldn't even be bothered to indicate that he was changing lanes.

Last edited:
Associate
You was too over to the right. You even went over the hatch markings. You were not following the lines on your nearside. From 21 seconds on you were in completely the wrong position. You were in the right lane initially but stayed far too right as if you were going to loop round and go back up the A50 instead of onto the A500.

You can use both right and second from right lane to get on the A500 but the second from right has a second merge further up the road to join the A500 (This is where most people panic as they think they are in the wrong lane and heading towards the A5006) whereas the lane you are in takes you directly onto the A500. The van most likely thought you were going all the way around back up the A50 towards Derby because your positioning was all wrong.

The lorry was a complete numpty though as he forced the Mercedes over and couldn't even be bothered to indicate that he was changing lanes.

Y, I think he had already taken my lane without realising it, fault of the poor markings and layout of the roundabout I guess.

Don't think it was worth brake checking me though? or is that acceptable on here?

Caporegime
Y, I think he had already taken my lane without realising it, fault of the poor markings and layout of the roundabout I guess.

Don't think it was worth brake checking me though? or is that acceptable on here?

Of course brake checking isn't acceptable but he only did that in response to you speeding up a bit so you could beep at him, the whole thing was entirely avoidable on your part even though it was him primarily using the road incorrectly, you chose to escalate it

It would be perfect for one of those dashcam compilation videos full of people making insignificant incidents much worse by their own actions just to get a bit of footage but you've unfortunately failed to shout "YOU'RE ON DASHCAM" so it might not make the cut

Soldato

It wasn't your lane to take, by the time you beeped at him the first time you'd effectively missed your exit and were across the hatched markings. You should have gone round and tried again rather than turning it into an issue.

Back
Top Bottom