Your bad driving encounters

Associate
How many miles you cover in a week is irrelevant to whether you're a good driver or not, a common trope of a bad driver. "I can't be bad at the activity because I always do it"

However, a truly good driver will know that occasionally they will make a mistake & that recognising when they have and potentially learning from it is part of what makes them a good driver.

I've not seen the video because you took it down, due to the criticism, which puts you out of the 'good driver' category. You were shown to be in the wrong. Rather than accept and admit that you made a mistake, you're continuing to argue to the contrary and removed the evidence of your driving transgression.

I'll take your comments for what they are, aggressive. You've not seen the video and jumped on the bandwagon with some people on here with whom I don't agree with their comments.

Regardless of the road layout the fact remains that the driver did not adhere to their lane and then dangerously stopped on a slip lane to break check me. I'm not going to comment any further on this video.

Last edited:
Soldato
Woman in a Mini comes out a pub car park, some way ahead of me, then weaves about the road for a few miles before misjudging a bend on a narrow country road, locks up on the grass verge, then proceeds to dig the front wheels in about 9 inches scrabbling to drive off. We had a deluge for hours last night, the verges are sodden.

i pull up and she gets out, very unsteady. "I think I had a bit too much to drink" she offers. I reply I'm damn sure she has. So I suggest she gets her belongings out of the car, locks it up and gets in my car.

"Are you taking me to the police?" she asks, nearly in tears. I reply no, I am offering to put some miles between you and the bogged down Mini before the rozzers arrive. She spends the next 15 minutes thanking me profusely. I drop her in Whitchurch and she says she'll get a friend to pick her up, and her friend's husband will pull it off the verge later. Left her in the town centre crying with gratitude. Getting soft in my old age for a supposed hardened misogynist <LOL>
Hope she doesn't get away with it next time, and gets stopped before she kills someone.

You helped no one.

Soldato
I think I'm being one of them now lol.
There's a single lane traffic calming measure where I live where one side has priority etc. You get people trying to sneak through behind others so you have to slow down or even stop despite it being your right of way. A guy yesterday took the **** though and tried to go while I was already committed to going through it (it was my right of way). I stopped in the middle and refused to budge. I made him mount the kerb to get round me as I refused to make it easier for him to get past. :cry:

Soldato
I'll take your comments for what they are, aggressive. You've not seen the video and jumped on the bandwagon with some people on here with whom I don't agree with their comments.

Regardless of the road layout the fact remains that the driver did not adhere to their lane and then dangerously stopped on a slip lane to break check me. I'm not going to comment any further on this video.

In what way was anything I wrote "aggressive"?

If you think that was aggressive then I think you've got bigger problems than simply making a mistake whilst driving. If you weren't in the wrong then why delete the video?

If you were innocent of what other commenters have said then why remove the evidence of that?

But it's totally fine, don't comment about the incident further, it speaks volumes anyway.

Soldato
The pub story reminds me of last week media article on father who was done for taking sons speeding points, and, in later incident, son crashed same car killing 2 friends.

e: I'd forgotten that chris huhne and his wife both went to prison when he covered for her

Last edited:
Soldato
The pub story reminds me of last week media article on father who was done for taking sons speeding points, and, in later incident, son crashed same car killing 2 friends.

Sadly seems to be a thing with people of a certain generation, that drink-driving is perfectly acceptable.

Does beg the question however, whether the response would have been the same if the driver in question was:
  • male
  • brown
  • not "tidy"

Soldato
Sadly seems to be a thing with people of a certain generation, that drink-driving is perfectly acceptable.

Does beg the question however, whether the response would have been the same if the driver in question was:
  • male
  • brown
  • not "tidy"
Your story mentions a father and sons. Which suggests the problem spans more than one generation.

Soldato
In what way was anything I wrote "aggressive"?

If you think that was aggressive then I think you've got bigger problems than simply making a mistake whilst driving. If you weren't in the wrong then why delete the video?

If you were innocent of what other commenters have said then why remove the evidence of that?

But it's totally fine, don't comment about the incident further, it speaks volumes anyway.

A story about roundabouts going around in circles. Who would have predicted that...

Man of Honour
Argh so hate having to share the road with other people LOL - got stuck behind a tractor for about 5 miles to the point there was 20-25 cars behind me in the queue - came to where the road changes to 2 lanes at a set of lights and there was 2 cars ahead waiting at the lights, one turning off left and the other in the right hand lane. Lights change to green and the car in the right hand lane barely gets going, almost stops, does maybe 20MPH in the 40 limit, tractor almost comes past us on the left before they finally speed up a bit, NSL dual-carriageway ahead but the speed limit continues at 40 there for 200-300 yards or so - they sit out in the right hand lane doing 20-30 then suddenly accelerate to ~50 and move over to the left so being a 40 I moved over behind them, cue 20 or so cars from behind coming past me at ~60 despite still being in the 40 limit, dual-carriageway starts and the car in front of me is still dong 50 so I have to sit there until the whole queue has gone past none of them doing more than about 60, then I pull out and get up to 70 and pass all the cars which are still doing 60 except 2-3 who've got up to 70+.

W T F is wrong with people.

Last edited:
Soldato
Argh so hate having to share the road with other people LOL - got stuck behind a tractor for about 5 miles to the point there was 20-25 cars behind me in the queue - came to where the road changes to 2 lanes at a set of lights and there was 2 cars ahead waiting at the lights, one turning off left and the other in the right hand lane. Lights change to green and the car in the right hand lane barely gets going, almost stops, does maybe 20MPH in the 40 limit, tractor almost comes past us on the left before they finally speed up a bit, NSL dual-carriageway ahead but the speed limit continues at 40 there for 200-300 yards or so - they sit out in the right hand lane doing 20-30 then suddenly accelerate to ~50 and move over to the left so being a 40 I moved over behind them, cue 20 or so cars from behind coming past me at ~60 despite still being in the 40 limit, dual-carriageway starts and the car in front of me is still dong 50 so I have to sit there until the whole queue has gone past none of them doing more than about 60, then I pull out and get up to 70 and pass all the cars which are still doing 60 except 2-3 who've got up to 70+.

W T F is wrong with people.
I'm noticing most people seem unable to overtake on single carriageway roads (not saying its your fault, or that what others did was best), but it annoys me when we get stuck behind a slow moving object and the guy at the front doesn't overtake, although it's normally a 60 road that they are going slow on. I've also made the wrong decision thinking a particular lane was quicker.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm noticing most people seem unable to overtake on single carriageway roads (not saying its your fault, or that what others did was best), but it annoys me when we get stuck behind a slow moving object and the guy at the front doesn't overtake, although it's normally a 60 road that they are going slow on. I've also made the wrong decision thinking a particular lane was quicker.

A lot of people won't overtake - as I caught up with them someone had to overtake 2 cars which just sat there behind the tractor on a half mile long straight with no traffic. No chance for me to overtake after that as there was traffic coming the other way any time there was a chance.

Last edited:
Soldato
A lot of people won't overtake - as I caught up with them someone had to overtake 2 cars which just sat there behind the tractor on a half mile long straight with no traffic. No chance for me to overtake after that as there was traffic coming the other way any time there was a chance.
That's what's so frustrating. I had one this morning on my commute. I was 7 or 8 cars back from 2hgvs, got to a dual stretch and nobody overtook (apart from me). Got inbetween the 2 hgvs (massive gap), but there was a modern audi a6 in front who could have overtaken but didnt :confused: . I would have overtaken just the hgv on the single stretch, but a car as well is just too much. Also saw a dorris just straight line a roundabout, despite me being in the right lane:rolleyes: (also in an audi, wonder if there's a common theme:D).

Man of Honour
To be fair I'm a lot more hesitant to overtake when I'm in the car simply because I'm used to over taking on my bike which means the over take is on 99% of the time and I forget the car can't do that :D

Soldato
Most of my driving is in city traffic. There's so much bad driving its unremarkable. Really only overtake on the orbital motorway on my commute. But mostly just trying to avoid everyone.

Started going on a drive of an evening out the rural back roads of an evening. Just to remind myself why I used to like driving...

Last edited:
Permabanned

• male
  • brown
  • not "tidy"

As a well known misogynist on here I'd probably be more likely to help a bloke out. I don't "assess" blokes as tidy or not, as I might a woman, I am not one of the alphabet soup people, thank you most kindly.

As for the third question I'll take the fifth ;)

If you can't do someone a good turn, don't try and do them a bad one is a good motto. Hopefully the lady will be more moderate in her drinking and also hopefully have a better view of humanity. Her foolishness was obvious, but being very imperfect myself I try not to be too judgmental, there for the grace of God and all that... Contentious subject though, I followed my own moral guidance, for better or worse.

Back
Top Bottom