Your country needs YOU!

Soldato
If Russia attacks Sweden, Norway or Finland we signed a defence pact to defend them.

If they were attacked and we got involved I can see Putin launching a missile at us. He's already committed acts of death a few times on British soil and we've never replied back.
A missile strike is a bit more direct than putin likes. He likes the idea of misdirection blaming. The nerve agent attacks he blamed on rogue elements.

I don’t think he’ll mess with nato affiliatiled countries, I think he’ll target our allies in the Middle East and Africa,if he can gain /put in place favourable regimes he could cut Europe off from energy/material and othe trade resources.

I expect a lot more we’ll equipped rebels in a lot of friendly countries

Associate
The story doing the rounds today is if the UK is involved in a future war the public might be required to join the armed forces.

If we got into a war with Russia not just another re-run of Iraq. Hardly news really, given that it would rapidly become World War 3.

I think in the event Russia attacked other European countries then I'd do my part, as it's a rerun of the start of WW2 when Hitler took over Czechslovakia, and then attacked Poland. We'd be in the firing line anyway.

If Britain was under genuine threat of invasion by Russia then I would be prepared to kill Russians. I've seen the brutality of their miserable society first-hand. The casual sadism of officialdom, institutionalised racism, persecution of minority groups and anyone who prefers to think for themselves etc. I would not want that scum ruling here. Britain has its problems, that's for sure, but it's 10 times better than Russia.

I think this is a signal that we should be having a national service like they do in Nordic countries.

Nordic countries have national service because many of them have bitter memories of being invaded/occupied in the last century (Norway - Nazis, Finland - Soviets) and the threat from Russia in their region persists. We are fortunate to be on an island which has not been successfully invaded since 1066, hence there is not the same necessity to maintain large Armed Forces outside of World Wars.

Soldato
I don’t think he’ll mess with nato affiliatiled countries
I mean he's been doing that for years, just not in the direct military sense. He's had great success when it comes to undermining the democratic process and getting NATO members eating themselves. I don't see that stopping anytime soon as much like Russian money it serves some peoples interests.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I’m loving this, it shows the hypocrisy in the current generation.

“We want all the rights and privileges of living in a first world country but we don’t want to risk our freedoms or lives defending” they’d much rather someone else do all the work so they can sit on their collective arses.

My favourite take is the “they can’t make me do it” and the “I’ll just go to prison” not realising that dodging a draft during a time of war comes under military law not civil law. You won’t get that nice jail cell or the same rights as civilian prisoners. You should look up the punishments available to the military police for people failing to follow orders.

But I digress, the majority of the British public wouldn’t even be taken on. Ask the average person to run 5k or hump a Bergen over the Brecon Beacons and they’ll have a heart attack.

Any punishment is better than near certain death. Besides it would never come to war On the ground anyway. Not now. Anyone attacks a western power and nato would respond and it would be game Over.

Caporegime
Presumably, this is an attempt to shift the needle in public discourse on the military. There was a bit of an uptick in support of the armed forces in the immediate aftermath of the Russian invasion of Ukraine but since then it's back to ''more money for the NHS/Education etc''. Not unworthy causes to be sure but the peace dividend that Europe and ourselves have had for the last 30 years has put us into this situation where we are not a credible force. I understand that as part of the 2010 spending review, the cost of the nuclear deterrent was moved from the treasury to the MOD budget which is effectively a cut in of itself even before you get to austerity cuts ontop of that.

Politicians will largely follow public opinion, if the voters don't care it won't get any attention. Imo if the public won't support increased military spending (and therefore cuts to other areas/increased borrowing/increased taxes) then we should get rid of the nuclear deterrent and spend that cash on conventional forces. What we have been doing for the last 30 years cannot continue.

“There are currently 30 Tranche 1 aircraft on the military register of which 26 will leave service by the end of March 2025.”

Where is the order for a 1:1 replacement? The 6th gen GCAP/Tempest is over a decade away, and the F35 acquisition is slow due to us not wanting to pay to upgrade older planes to the block 4 standard that is due in 2029. Lets just hope nothing kicks off between now and then!

I actually have no issue with the cuts to military.
Foot soldiers just aren't needed now. It's not like we are going to be sending masses of foot soldiers anywhere.

Ukraine is getting equipment mainly.
If someone invaded nato? No its gonna be WW3.

You need some sure. But no like it used to be.
Besides.. Out recent run hasn't been great on the ground.
Technology, equipment, drones, intelligence? Yes. That's very much needed. But loads of humans on the ground? It almost feels obsolete in the west.
Its why a EU military would be better imo. Spread the load. Optimise it.

When NHS is falling apart, and people are dying from the cold, you can't really blame people for wanting to divert funds.

Last edited:
Soldato
I actually have no issue with the cuts to military.
Foot soldiers just aren't needed now. It's not like we are going to be sending masses of foot soldiers anywhere.

Technology, equipment, drones, intelligence? Yes. That's very much needed. But loads of humans on the ground? It almost feels obsolete in the west.
Its why a EU military would be better imo. Spread the load. Optimise it.

When NHS is falling apart, and people are dying from the cold, you can't really blame people for wanting to divert funds.

I don't know why you think we don't need infantry, this war with Russia has shown the opposite and that we absolutely do need infantry.

Soldato
Not read the whole thread, but flicking through gives a nice indication that the effects of Active Measures seem to be quite widespread.

Tally ho!

Soldato
Never going to happen - this is just a dead cat spin story the Tories have put out to get everyone talking about something other than the mess the country is in.

Another Brexit bonus - the UK being part of a European army looks a lot more attractive now eh lads?

I reckon that is why the army has been cut down so much over the past three decades. The idea was probably to have a smaller army that would be part of an EU army. But since we have had brexit, that whole plan has gone out the window, and now we need to build our army back up again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Never going to happen - this is just a dead cat spin story the Tories have put out to get everyone talking about something other than the mess the country is in.

Another Brexit bonus - the UK being part of a European army looks a lot more attractive now eh lads?

Brexiteers should be delivering us another victory on the front lines

Soldato

This is nonsense.

No amount of force multipliers will replace infantry - and the army is already bare bones.

Last edited:
Associate
Still effecting our lives 8 years on.
..... and will no doubt effect it for many years to come, Brexiteers go-on like it was some historic loss in a football game or cup final that you just brush off and get over, it's literally something to this day that is affecting the UK in a whole, to include the gammons who flap their chops about "boat people" as Brexit pulled us out of the Dublin Agreement and Regulations, meaning that when we "took back control of our borders" we also then took full responsibility of anyone entering them, talk about shooting yourself in the foot, I'd laugh if it wasn't a total $hit show, lets not forget "Oven ready" :cry:

Last edited:
Commissario
During the last two wars, we had young men queueing up to go and fight for their country. Kids as young as 16 were signing up.

My, how the attitude has changed. I think the things I’m reading in this thread are despicable. Your grandfathers and great grandfathers would be ashamed of you.

I’m too old to fight on the front line but if there were an equivalent to the Home Guard, I’d be banging on their door, despite being old and unfit.

Associate
During the last two wars, we had young men queueing up to go and fight for their country. Kids as young as 16 were signing up.

My, how the attitude has changed. I think the things I’m reading in this thread are despicable. Your grandfathers and great grandfathers would be ashamed of you.

I’m too old to fight on the front line but if there were an equivalent to the Home Guard, I’d be banging on their door, despite being old and unfit.
Go cry me a river, who would want to defend the UK right now and the people running it? This isn't the 1940's anymore, most of our Grandfathers fought to avoid this type of thing ever happening again, so I doubt they'd be ashamed, I find it more despicable that you think you can speak for them.

Last edited:
Associate

I thought the point of our grandfathers fighting in wars was to avoid the need for future generations to do the same?

Regardless, I've no issue if it comes to defending the country, however if its for the latest "let's go defend X resource" then yes, I think many people will take issue with that.

The military absolutely needs funding, its an insurance policy, you hope you don't need it but you 100% want it ready and waiting. That being said with the current politicians I wouldn't be fighting for them. Well not unless they're drafted first.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom