*** Zelda: Breath of the Wild ***

Soldato
Anyone worry this one may be trying to do too much? It looks great I just hope it's still Zelda, lots of open world inspirations in here, just hope it's not gone too far

Associate
I expected there to be DLC given how big this game is and considering the DLC trend on Wii U for games like Smash, MK8, etc. I was just discussing this with a friend the other day.

This is great news though more Zelda is only a good thing, especially when it's decent sized expansions / a new story.

The bonus stuff is mainly there to get people buying in to the expansion pass early, it's expendable content.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Not sure how I feel about DLC for Zelda. I much prefer a single complete game. Not really a fan of DLC, so will have to wait and see if it is any good. Maybe grab it on sale. Not interested if it is digital tat though.

Pet Northerner
Don
I'm on the fence about the dlc, I'm glad the cosmetic stuff is the season pass bonus. So if I did decide to buy it separately or just later on, the extra modes, dungeons and story won't be missed out.

I mentioned on reddit that Nintendo really need to do more of this to stand a chance at getting more third parties on board, as DLC season passes are the industry standard now is AAA games

Associate
Not sure how I feel about DLC for Zelda. I much prefer a single complete game. Not really a fan of DLC, so will have to wait and see if it is any good. Maybe grab it on sale. Not interested if it is digital tat though.

Well, these are expansions to the base (complete) game, not patches.

EDIT: Ah I misunderstood your post a bit. I get what you mean, but more content for great games is always a good thing if done right and decent value. Witcher 3 DLC was amazing, I don't think this will top that but value seems fair.

fGg2I4J.png

Anyone worry this one may be trying to do too much? It looks great I just hope it's still Zelda, lots of open world inspirations in here, just hope it's not gone too far

It was time for a change I feel, with change comes some risk but the essence of Zelda still seems intact at least. Will it be one of the best Zelda games? We'll have to wait and see (I'd bet yes...).

Watch the 2017 trailer again :)

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Well, these are expansions to the base (complete) game, not patches.

EDIT: Ah I misunderstood your post a bit. I get what you mean, but more content for great games is always a good thing if done right and decent value. Witcher 3 DLC was amazing, I don't think this will top that but value seems fair.

fGg2I4J.png

It was time for a change I feel, with change comes some risk but the essence of Zelda still seems intact at least. Will it be one of the best Zelda games? We'll have to wait and see (I'd bet yes...).

Watch the 2017 trailer again :)

Yes. Witcher 3 DLC is what I call DLC worth buying.

DLC Pack 2 looks good for Zelda. Will see how it goes. I will complete the game, then if I really enjoy it and want to play again I will buy the dlc for my second play through.

Man of Honour
The dlc for other Nintendo games like MK8,Smash,Pikmin3 and Hyrule warriors has all been of good value for me. I think i,ll grab this aswell.

Nintendo do DLC well, unlike most of the mess of micro transaction guff developers/publishers try to pedal these days.

Looks like only DLC2 is interesting though with this.

Soldato
I'd have been ok with this if they'd waited at least a month or two after the game release before announcing it. Day one DLC just makes you feel like you're being mugged!

Associate
Nintendo do DLC well, unlike most of the mess of micro transaction guff developers/publishers try to pedal these days.

They mostly do it well. Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon's DLC was great. But other games like Fire Emblem and Smash Bros haven't been as good with DLC (they've been pretty egregious). With Mario Kart, the DLC was made/planned/announced well after the game had launched. Breath of the Wild isn't out yet and we already are told there's DLC on the way. That's not the "Nintendo do DLC well" way of things at all... it sounds like this game was made by the likes of EA or something considering that. Who'd have thought that a Nintendo game would have paid season pass DLC announced well before launch?

Anyhow, we can trust Nintendo to make a good thing and then promptly ruin it with bad decisions...

And I feel sorry for people buying the Switch version... £60 and then a bunch more for the DLC... at least Microsoft's games with season pass have the complete edition of the games available for £60 on launch. Nintendo are just digging themselves in a rut at this point.

Pet Northerner
Don
And I feel sorry for people buying the Switch version... £60 and then a bunch more for the DLC... at least Microsoft's games with season pass have the complete edition of the games available for £60 on launch. Nintendo are just digging themselves in a rut at this point.

It's not £60 like, the rainforest have it at 48 and it'll only get cheaper.

Game have it 60, but they also charge the same for the WiiU edition...

Associate
Hopefully the dlc tied to your account and not system!
No immediate rush to get it as dlc 2 is the real expansion, plenty to do in the game before then.

Associate
That's not the "Nintendo do DLC well" way of things at all... it sounds like this game was made by the likes of EA or something considering that. Who'd have thought that a Nintendo game would have paid season pass DLC announced well before launch?

The vast majority of major devs/publishers announce season passes before release these days. The reason EA have a bad rep for it is because major content is often released as day 1 DLC. Not the case here.

Why does announcing it before launch matter, wouldn't you rather know beforehand? (it's only 16 days away btw!). The DLC with any meaningful gameplay content won't be out until much later in the year.

Soldato
OP
I'd have been ok with this if they'd waited at least a month or two after the game release before announcing it. Day one DLC just makes you feel like you're being mugged!

This is pretty much my feeling, the day one chests and t-shirt sound naff, locking hard mode (whatever that is) behind the season pass seems mean as I can't imagine it took long to adjust some sliders. Maybe it'll make Zelda into a rogue-like with permadeath.

They must have made this stuff already but decided to keep it back until later which in my mind means it should be in the base game anyway.

Associate
This is pretty much my feeling, the day one chests and t-shirt sound naff, locking hard mode (whatever that is) behind the season pass seems mean as I can't imagine it took long to adjust some sliders. Maybe it'll make Zelda into a rogue-like with permadeath.

They must have made this stuff already but decided to keep it back until later which in my mind means it should be in the base game anyway.

Exactly. And your latter suggestion is especially digusting if it's actually true. I remember the likes of Evolve and Street Fighter getting hate for doing exactly that: DLC from content cut-away from the base game. It's funny that everyone wants Nintendo to be more like other companies, yet Nintendo seems to only have picked up the worst ideas from other companies and not many of the good ideas.

Back
Top Bottom