Zombicide!

Associate
Just got the game on the weekend, looking to play with my girlfriend (who is not fussed on zombies but enjoys board games with me) and my brother and his partner who aren't gamers but obsessed with zombie stuff. We did have a game of pandemic once which they got the hang of after a while though.

Had a practice on my own playing scenario 2, absolutely loved it! I succeeded with 1 survivor who had 1 wound. Should havs been 3 with no wounds but I turned a 'all runners get another move' card which completely screwed me over.

Still, great game and looking forward to trying to get others involved. Was tempted to house rule the ranged combat rule but I think it may be ok.

Also concerned about people dying and then they are out early on. One of my guys died on like the 2nd move in my practice game and if that happened with a group of us it would have sucked. May try some rule like left 4 dead where you can pick them up in say the next round or 2. Or create a room far away from survivors off the board with a locked door with the survivor inside and someone has to free them. Not sure which is the better route here, but I want everyone to enjoy it and want to play more in the future.

I'm just starting to get into board games (got Carcassonne, pandemic, kingdom builder, kahuna, love letter), and while my girlfriend enjoys most of them she isn't fussed on playing too often. I could go to Cardiff to a good shop there where they play games but I guess I'm not that great at putting myself out there, plus it means getting in and out via train or car as I'm not just 5 mins away.

Soldato
Which season do you have?

Players dying that early in the game is usually down to poor tactics. You just need more practice.

Rules of Play in Cardiff is a good stop, they have open days so just go along then. But avoid the teenagers with bad BO. I think they still have game nights in the taphouse IIRC.

Associate
I got season 1 to keep it as simple (and cheap) as possible.

And yes as soon as the guy died I realised my very simple mistake, and while I could warn others of it during the game I don't want to be 'that guy' dictating how the game is played throughout lol. Expected first time through I guess though.

And yeah, rules of play is great. When I went in there to get ticket to ride, I explained my situation (good with 2 player that also scales well with more players and is easy to pick up but has enough depth to keep me interested) and came away with kingdom builder instead which is now my girlfriend's favourite game! Great staff.

Not been to any events, loud teenagers would annoy me but I'm sure theres a crowd I would enjoy.

Associate
Received all my Black Plague Kickstarter extras yesterday & im more than happy!
A little overwhelmed by the sheer amount of heroes I now own, might sell a few of the Kickstarter exclusives at a later date to get some of the costs back.

Associate
Was tempted to house rule the ranged combat rule but I think it may be ok.

Change the ranged combat rule! It's a must.
I know the original rule makes the game harder, but why must a shot into the same location as a survivor equal a hit on the survivor first?!?!
I play with the rule that a hit from a ranged weapon hits a zombie and a miss them hits a survivor, I think these are the rules from season 3, and are definantly the rules in Black Plague. They just make more sense.

Last edited:
Associate
So I actually had an impromptu game of this last night with a few others.
My sister and her husband decided to come round just as me and my girlfriend were about to start, and so I also rang my brother and his girlfriend to come over for a 6 player game.

My sister was completely useless and had no interest (and left 20 mins in), so we ended up having a 4 player game which was a blast. It was actually going pretty well, but then on one zombie turn we flipped 2 'walkers get another turn' cards, and we were on orange experience level at this point so there were lots of zombies on the board. That killed 2 of us off. Then it was only a matter of time till the other 2 died because they couldn't kill them as fast as they were spawning/getting extra turns. It was a very sudden end to a fun game - and felt a bit cheap. I may take these cards out for future play-through's because it didn't seem like a fun mechanic (and with this group, fun will take over the strategy side of it).

Still, afterwards they said they enjoyed it and would like another game, so looking forward to that!

Soldato
I think those cards add a lot to the game. Makes you plan ahead.

We played the same map eight times in Rue Morgue (Season 3) before we eventually won. Different tactics every time and eventually breezed it. If only we had done that at the start

Soldato
Its arrived! Just in time for a session tonight

Quite light, must be lots of packaging...

zZky9d9.jpg

Ok, maybe not. I think I got carried away ordering stuff...

Vdblkhy.jpg

Dragon bile to kill perhaps?

oKZkGkM.jpg

Soldato
My extra stuff arrived today. I didn't order as much extra as you but have far too much stuff here! No idea where I will keep any of it. Half tempted to sell some on eBay but feel as though I might regret it.

Associate
So, is this game worth getting? ^^

What's a good way to get started? There seem's to be a lot of different products. Just buying the season 3 box, Rue Morgue?

Associate
I spent last night sorting through my box of new bits too. Similar to yours Bickaxe but no extra tiles or dice and went for just the John Howe guest box (had to get Hildir and her Sheep :) ). I will definitely pickup most of the others retail though. I did get the Crowz too, as I didn't get them with S3 but I did have the cards and bonus minis.

It is an almost overwhelming amount of plastic but those Bosses are great. I need to find some new shelf space for this lot now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Each season differs slightly where rules have been refined. Season 3 being the latest (Black Plague came after) of the modern day settings. I'd suggest that one but each has its merits which you won't see until you play each one.
Ultra powerful weapons are from season 2 (IIRC).

We've finally finished all the campaigns from the rule book of Black Plague. We had to make a house rule for the final map otherwise it would have been finished within 10 minutes using new characters.
Wolfsburg (expansion) will begin after Christmas I think so we can play other stuff for a while.

Back
Top Bottom