Who here owns a Fiesta ST?

Soldato
I got an insurance quote for a 54 plate standard ST - horrified at the quote.

33yrs
8yrs no claim
1 claim (protected) theft of audio equipment (cost £400)
no points
CR8 postcode (this I presume is the killer punch)
Kept on driveway

£708 with £200 excess

That's horrific.

I'm 22. 1 years NCB and mines around £650. I think i have a £500 excess on that. But i'm not wanting to have a crash any time soon.

That's with 1 claim where i was at fault a couple of years ago.

Soldato
My postcode has a lot to do with it i suspect. When doing quotes when i was 20 they were over a grand and nearly £1200-£1400.

Soldato
Got my mud flaps through today. Only ones you can get are these gratuitously big rally ones. Hopefully they'll look alright on the car. Coming from a 1.4 mark 6 before they do really need mud flaps to protect the arches, side of the car and under the car.

Soldato
They do look ok but they look better when the car is lowered, a lot IMO.

What colour did you go for in the end?

Yeah, i'm anticipating them to look stupid with stock springs but i would prefer to save the paint of the car! :p

Went for black. So surprised at how expensive these things are...

EDIT - Would you suggest jacking the car up and fitting them that way?

Last edited:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
  • Mountune 185 kit (full exhaust inc manifold and sports cat, cams, valve springs, induction system and remap)
  • H&R Monotube Coilover suspension (around 45mm drop)
  • Ferrodo DS2500 pads all round, Pagid discs, HEL braided brake lines and Motul RBF600 fluid
  • Whiteline Rear Anti-roll bar
  • Quaife ATB LSD
  • Helix 4 paddle clutch (wanted an organic clutch but Jamsport made a mistake..)
  • Braid Winrace A 16 inch alloys (apparently unspeakably awful according to this forum, but from a handling point of view the best thing I have done to the car and with 45 profile tyres it rides better than standard)
  • Gloss black smoothed bumper plastics and black headlight internals, and blue headlight rings
  • ST500 Carbon effect interior parts (dash surround/vent rings) and various other small aesthetic mods I won't bore anyone with :o

It will also have the Mountune inlet manifold and larger throttle body, with associated remap, when that is available taking it to 200bhp...

superb spec Will, what improvement if any did the LSD make to the car?

Then decided to sell the charger and now only have a Mountune CAIS and a Piper flexi
can understand your reasoning for selling the charger, may I ask if you notice much difference in performance having just the mountune CAIS on the car over the as I am looking to buy one but not sure if it is worth it on its own.

my main reasoning is that they knock the cost of it off the 165/185 upgrade but if its not going to benefit a stock engine then is it not worth it?

Only a few pics I took on my phone when picking the car up, so they're not amazing. Eventually I'll get round to a write-up and some better pictures for you all.

those anthracite wheels look brilliant. you happy with the car?

I got an insurance quote for a 54 plate standard ST - horrified at the quote.

33yrs
8yrs no claim
1 claim (protected) theft of audio equipment (cost £400)
no points
CR8 postcode (this I presume is the killer punch)
Kept on driveway

£708 with £200 excess

thats about right. my first year when i was 24 was £990
mine is very low this year though - £520
25yrs, 6 years ncb, no points, driveway.

direct line wanted £1200 off me for renewal :rolleyes:
i could insure a focus st/impreza sti for less...

Soldato
Definitely.

The fronts are a pain in the ass to make level, the rears simply bolt on so they arn't too difficult although on mine they didn't tend to sit straight.

Best way to do the fronts is get a mate to help you, align them with the car on the ground, not jacked up.

Soldato
can understand your reasoning for selling the charger, may I ask if you notice much difference in performance having just the mountune CAIS on the car over the as I am looking to buy one but not sure if it is worth it on its own.

my main reasoning is that they knock the cost of it off the 165/185 upgrade but if its not going to benefit a stock engine then is it not worth it?

Yes you notice a difference. The standard air box is very restrictive, not forgetting it sits on top of the engine bay too so the air temps gets rather hot.

I used to have a normal K&N on its own when I first got the car and that made a difference but stuck in traffic or after a long drive, the car would feel sluggish due to heat soak. Although the CAIS is bloody expensive and you do wonder where the money goes, it does work better than the standard K&N.

The small price reduction of the 165/185 kit also swayed me towards getting the CAIS rather than a K&N again, if I go down that route in the future that is which I'm tempted to do.

Last edited:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
may go for it then.
anyone with a mountune had their car rolling roaded since their upgrade?
i have read that the mountune upgrades are conservative power estimates and that many cars make much higher power than quoted?

any mountune owners got any RR runs they can quote?

Soldato
OP
Got my mud flaps through today. Only ones you can get are these gratuitously big rally ones. Hopefully they'll look alright on the car. Coming from a 1.4 mark 6 before they do really need mud flaps to protect the arches, side of the car and under the car.

Get some pics up when they are on.

I am considering buying some colarado red mudflaps but they are 100 quid which i think is a bit steep for some plastic....then a extra £25+ to have the ST sign put on them.

Associate
I suppose i'll show you mine, nothing compared to some of the others in here:

2011030606.jpg

2011042407.jpg

2011050714.jpg

2011050713.jpg

2011050715.jpg

2011050717.jpg

2011050721.jpg

Spec so far:

Bilstein B12 Suspension
ProPlus Bi-Xenon HID Conversion Kit
Ford 20.5mm Rear Hub Spacer Set
Pipercross Induction Filter + Red Samco Silicone Hose
Ford Power Starter Button

Roose Ancillary Hoses (not yet fit)
Roose Coolant Hoses (not yet fit)
Roose Heater Matrix Hoses (not yet fit)
Miltek 4-1 Manifold (not yet fit)
ST Side Stripes in White (not sure if to fit???)

Soldato
Get some pics up when they are on.

I am considering buying some colarado red mudflaps but they are 100 quid which i think is a bit steep for some plastic....then a extra £25+ to have the ST sign put on them.

Got them on now. They were a pain in the arse to fit. Had to bend the mount myself which i wasn't expecting to do and the front ones seem a bit flimsy. Forgot to take some pics. Might go out and take some pictures in a second though.

I like them, saves a load of dirt being sprayed up the side of the car which is worth it alone.

Soldato
DSC_4015.jpg

IMG_4855.JPG

IMG_4856.jpg

IMG_4069.jpg

Currently the car has:
Mountune 185 (full exhaust, cams+springs, CAIS and Map).
Eibach springs.
Etech Strut brace.
Uprated Gearbox/Engine mount.
PAS Cooler.
PAS expansion tank.
Uprated Sparks and HT leads (std needed replacing so spent a few quid more).
Carbon bits covering HT leads and Battery.
Rear Seats removed.
Satin Black plastics, instead of standard grey :/

Awaiting fitting:
Oil Cooler.
300mm front brake upgrade
Braided Hoses.

Its had 6 trackdays, and its 7th is about to be booked... :)

Oh and if you are anywhere near London or the Southeast. Join up to FiestaSTOC and we can go on trips to the sea and take big group shots like so:
London and SE to the SEA - FiestaSTOC

Last edited:
Soldato
superb spec Will, what improvement if any did the LSD make to the car?

The LSD is amongst the best mods I've done, it kills the understeer and tendency to wheelspin typical of most FWD cars.

You can be going around a medium/large sized roundabout in high revs in second gear, floor the throttle and keep your foot in (and hold on tight as you go round and round :o) and it just grips and grips and grips and goes round in circles....usually the rear steps out before the front lets go, with the suspension/ARB setup I have, but with the diff it makes it so controllable to add a bit of throttle and pull back on line.

Putting the power down mid corner is so much easier with it fitted, you can still get it to understeer on the throttle but you have to be really really silly with your driving...front end grip is just massively improved. I can see why people consider an LSD so important for performance FWD cars.

There aren't really any downsides to the Quiafe ATB to my mind, though it is an expensive mod - due to the way it operates (planet gears) you don't get the harshness of a conventional plated LSD so tight maneuvering isn't a chore, theres no sign of wheel hop and so on.

In the wet or on very bumpy roads when the diff starts to work (under a bit of throttle) it can feel as though the car is tramlining slightly as it pulls to follow the camber of the road or bumps...takes a little getting used to but its easily controllable, not really snatchy or harsh, and preferable to wheelspinning everywhere.

Associate
Do they have issues with overheating PAS fluid?

Some do, especially if you drive it hard. It's party caused by the close proximity of the reservoir to the engine.

It's a fairly easy fix though by simply relocating the reservoir with the aid of some longer hoses. Alternatively you can mount a small oil type cooler and run the fluid through that.

It's not something i've suffered from at the moment.

Soldato
They can do if you drive it very hard (trackdays or very aggressive road driving), the fluid degrades over time due the heat and this can have an adverse effect on the PAS pump.

The reservoir gets very hot due to how and where it is mounted to the engine block....you can buy a kit to relocate the reservoir from Jamsport (which I have and its frankly a bit crap and overpriced for what you get, but it does the job I suppose) or add a cooler and expansion tank like Overlag has done.

Back
Top Bottom