• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 2 Owners Thread!

Soldato
Don't worry, I'm even further down the pecking order for BIOS updates than you :p

One the plus side, at least the newer 3rd series CPU's are less affected by memory speeds than the 1st and 2nd gen :D
I suppose. I still managed a 3.5% bump in x265 just by tightening the timings at 3200 MT/s though so there's definitely something to gain!

Saw this user on Reddit with basically the same problem on another ASRock X370 motherboard with ComboPI 1.0.0.3:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASRock/comments/cbm4aw/asrock_x370_fatality_gaming_pro_and_ryzen_3900x/

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys,

I'm finally upgrading my 5820k to the 3800x.

If my budget for a motherboard was around £350, is the Taichi the best board in this price range and does anyone know when those G.skill Neo 3600 ram sticks will be released?

Thanks

Also asked in the main Zen 2 thread.

Associate
Finally got my 3900x installed, everything seems to be working ok in my Gaming K5 motherboard.

However I still can't get the memory to run above 2666mhz with or without XMP, it's Hynix based 3200mHz ram tho :/ ... Anyone have suggestions on getting the ram running a little bit faster ?

Associate
got my 3700X today from OcUK and using it in my Asus X370 Pro with latest bios 5008. Ram is 3000mhz DDR4. All seems to work. Cinebench R20, 4686, Geekbench Single-Core Score=5598, Multi-Core Score=35141.

Bios is all Auto, with ram on DOCP. Not sure about PBO, it is set to Auto. Should I set it to Enabled?

Temps are a bit high, I like low noise so fans are turned down to silent mode and idle temps are around 50C ish, when stressing in prime95 for a few mins it gets to 85C ish.

I haven't actually seen single core boost past 4.2Ghz. Any ideas what I need to do?

Soldato
Finally got my 3900x installed, everything seems to be working ok in my Gaming K5 motherboard.

However I still can't get the memory to run above 2666mhz with or without XMP, it's Hynix based 3200mHz ram tho :/ ... Anyone have suggestions on getting the ram running a little bit faster ?
Even that motherboard's latest BIOS is AGESA ComboPI 1.0.0.2 so you might be suffering the same issues as a few of us here on older boards. Might have to wait for 1.0.0.3+.

Associate

can you be more specific on ram :S I guess its hynix c die, if yes should work just fine ;)

Associate

What motherboard and ram are you on? I started a Ryzen 3 ram thread here (just me though...)

Is anyone seeing boosts over 4.3Ghz yet?

Associate
Associate
also for some reason sitting on desktop Ryzen master shows VCore jumping between 0.9V to 1.46 volts! WTF is going on with that.

Yeah, that's a thing I see as well and was the stock behaviour in cpuz until I lowered the voltage to 1.35 in the bios. Ryzen master overrides the bios config so I would reccommend not running it unless you're benching and want too see good stats.

Gogabyte users, if you use the bios tool in the bloatware app they provide then it will DOWNGRADE the bios. Took me from F4 to F2, I'm also seeing awful usb performance from usb3 ports, 500kb/s on my drives. Have to use the usb2 for speeds that aren't from the 90's.

Associate
Hi gents, happy owner of 3700x here. 4400 allcore 1.352v with medium digi vrm vcore settings (gets to 1.406v during stress test) 76c max under Noctua D15s.
BmTcHAq.png

Associate
I was one of the lucky ones that got my delivery on Tuesday, because of work and stuff I've had to wait until tonight to build my new pc. The Dan case was an absolute joy to build with, it's my first itx build so I was expecting it to be really difficult and fiddly but it was so easy! I've got the 3600x and the 5700xt. I'll be using it for living room gaming and general htpc use. As always the haribo was greatly appreciated :D
http://imgur.com/gallery/YjUjZeE

Associate
Yeah, that's a thing I see as well and was the stock behaviour in cpuz until I lowered the voltage to 1.35 in the bios. Ryzen master overrides the bios config so I would reccommend not running it unless you're benching and want too see good stats.

Gogabyte users, if you use the bios tool in the bloatware app they provide then it will DOWNGRADE the bios. Took me from F4 to F2, I'm also seeing awful usb performance from usb3 ports, 500kb/s on my drives. Have to use the usb2 for speeds that aren't from the 90's.

Any idea how I can lower the cpu voltage on an asus x370?

I uninstalled ryzen master, cpuz has all the info I need.

Soldato
Been trying out the 3600 today.

Under Intel Burn Test at stock the boost is a solid 4.05ghz. In my experience this is the worst load a CPU can get.

Just realised I had PBO off when doing the stock runs. With PBO it stays at 4.1ghz under Intel Burn Test, so a slight gain. Less intensive all core workloads actually allow it to maintain 4.15ghz. Peak clocks remain at 4.2ghz which only happen when a few threads are loaded.

I've decided this is preferable to an all-core overclock of 4.2ghz (max achievable with voltage <1.4v in bios or <1.36v after vdroop) as under PBO the voltages drop off at idle and the clocks can also drop.

Associate
Just realised I had PBO off when doing the stock runs. With PBO it stays at 4.1ghz under Intel Burn Test, so a slight gain. Less intensive all core workloads actually allow it to maintain 4.15ghz. Peak clocks remain at 4.2ghz which only happen when a few threads are loaded.

I've decided this is preferable to an all-core overclock of 4.2ghz (max achievable with voltage <1.4v in bios or <1.36v after vdroop) as under PBO the voltages drop off at idle and the clocks can also drop.
That is actually 1 point i can't get, so Cool'n'Quiet is been with us since 2003 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool'n'Quiet , but keep seeing ppl complaining that their cpus doesn't downvolt, downclock if oc, how, why? :confused:

Soldato
That is actually 1 point i can't get, so Cool'n'Quiet is been with us since 2003 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool'n'Quiet , but keep seeing ppl complaining that their cpus doesn't downvolt, downclock if oc, how, why? :confused:

It depends entirely on how your motherboard allows you to overclock. If you can use offset voltage then generally it will reduce voltage. However, if you are controlling a fixed voltage then by it's nature it is fixed.

It is also worth noting, even when the voltage is high, if there is no actual load then the current (amps) flowing through the processor is very low and so power consumption is very low anyway. So it's not actually much of a problem if voltage remains fixed.

The best way to overclock on Ryzen chips would be to use P-states (power states) which would have the desired behaviour, but it requires a bit more effort.

Associate
4.3 1.3vcore stable still gotta tune timings.

d813ed61-c793-4ac6-9f94-2fdc4c4009e4-original.png

Back
Top Bottom