****The Official 5G Home Broadband Thread**** (Three/EE/Vodafone/etc)

Associate
Looking at trying the three 5G deal see what speeds are like round my way. Would like to know if anybody has this whats the supplied router like, will it pick up a good signal on its own, whats the WIFI like and is it ok to keep it on for long without having to reboot?.

Associate
Looking at buying a flat and would have to go with either EE or Vodafone with the 5G home broadband, just don't trust the coverage checker enough and don't want to get one and find out the coverage is poor inside the flat, I jump on the Xbox now and then with mates and have a few smart home bits, iPads, phones but just not sure this meets the criteria I need, I'd settle for 150mbps but not sure I'd get it, wonder if they'd allow you to return the item and cancel the contract if not good signal.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking at trying the three 5G deal see what speeds are like round my way. Would like to know if anybody has this whats the supplied router like, will it pick up a good signal on its own, whats the WIFI like and is it ok to keep it on for long without having to reboot?.
I have the new ZTE (mc801) router, nice bit of kit but be very careful plugging in external Ariel’s as the ports are really weak. I had one snap off inside while plugging my external in and I was being pretty gentle.

Soldato
Looking at buying a flat and would have to go with either EE or Vodafone with the 5G home broadband, just don't trust the coverage checker enough and don't want to get one and find out the coverage is poor inside the flat, I jump on the Xbox now and then with mattress and have a few smart home bits, iPads, phones but just not sure thismeets the criteria I need, I'd settle for 150mbps but not sure I'd get it, wonder if they'd allow you to return the item and cancel the contract if not good signal.
I believe, but better to check before going ahead, you get 14 day cooling off period. So if you ordered and no good and we're within 14 days you can still cancel. I've done that before.

Associate
Can someone answer this for me?

I have the Huawei 5g CPE Router and I have LTE Monitor Software.

My issue is twofold.

Firstly I am finding that I lose signal on the Router and need to do a reboot. This probably happens twice a week? Is there a suggested fix?

Secondly, and this is the main issue really, in LTE Monitor on the Events Tab I see my Router switch back and forth between two cell towers. Cells 11820 and 11507 on Cellmapper. When I am on a voice/video call with Work (using Webex) and the Router switches I observe audio and video glitches in Webex. Sometimes I also lose my Webex connection. My regular browsing or downloading etc isnt affected.

Is there a way to test the performance of each Cell Tower and more importantly to lock to one of them to stop the flip/flopping or is this "just normal behaviour"? Thanks Neil.

Last edited:
Associate
Is anyone else having download issues with torrents on Three 5g ? It looks like p2p traffic is blocked. I can't get download speeds any higher than a few kbps.

Associate
Hi all.

I have had a good time with Three and the Huawei CPE PRO 2 over the last few months. Very stable and good speeds.

However in the last 3 weeks, I've noticed a massive drop in speeds. The router is located in the same place as it has always been. The router is green light for both 4g and 5g. However when i press "optimise location" on the app/web interface, it drops the two green lights for 4g/5g and i get an abysmal signal reading.

Moving the router around doesn't really help. Has anyone had the same issue? Is it the weather? The network being rubbish? or has my router had enough. Its very strange that it went from really good to really poor in the last few weeks...

RSRQ
-9.0dB
RSRP
-99dBm
RSSI
-69dBm
SINR
-3dB

These are my current readings as we speak which i can deduce are rubbish. Three have said there is no reported works/outage near my area so not sure what it could be.

Any help would be appreciated.

Associate
Hello!

I am currently using a Huawei 5G CPE Pro 2 Router - (H122-373), bought from the bay. Just wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to change which bands the router uses. I'm currently very close to a mast (almost LOS) however don't really get more than 200mbps (feels like it's capped). On Cell Mapper the mast is 5g enabled (bands 1,3, 20) and I do fall into the coverage area map on 3's website.

I've seen many a videos of people using Huawei Manager mobile apps (probably virus infested) and other PC software LTE H-Monitor to force a router to use a certain band, however my experience has been unsuccessful so far. When it comes to LTE H-Monitor I understand the free version is just a read only version for monitoring - do you have to buy the licence to be able to change network modes? While I can log into the router via H-Monitor the options (the free version at least) seem very limited and don't change anything - signal strength, network and device name aren't picked up either.

Would love some help if someone has had some experience so far.

Soldato
For anyone struggling with 5G signals with the antenna placed in a window, move it away from the window as many types of glass will reflect the 5G signal depending what polarisation it hits the windows at.

Associate
For anyone struggling with 5G signals with the antenna placed in a window, move it away from the window as many types of glass will reflect the 5G signal depending what polarisation it hits the windows at.
I've tried this. Near the windows is my best location and I've not moved it from original location where I had great speeds.

It is either the router or the mast. I have used LTE monitor and it isn't locked to any 5g band -_-.

I will have to try moving the router around and see if that makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom