Vanced discontinued

ALD

ALD

Associate
Not having much joy getting cheap YT premium at the moment - the faffing with re-vanced is ok for my mobile/tablet, but my little one watches YT on the TV and as Vanced is dying - I think I'll have to bite the bullet and get YTP (had Vanced on the Shield)

Tried adding it via Argentina (I have SurfShark) but it comes up stating that YouTube Premium is not available in your country, so I switched to India - but regardless what I do, it says that is £11.99 a month! I get this same result if I select Turkey too.

Tried to create a new Google account, but that won't let me pass needing a phone to verify - and I'm assuming it might pick up on the fact I already have the number registered with my ancient GMail account I use.

Anyone else had issues getting a good price for the service?
https://github.com/yuliskov/SmartTubeNext works good on the Shield.

Soldato
I had this pinned as the next thing to try, but wondered if it is going to be an ongoing faff to get working, unlike Vanced - that that needed a cursor to navigate in retrospect.

It's got to the point I don't mind paying for YTP - just not at the 15 quid a month mark, I like the idea of a couple of quid a month more :D

ALD

ALD

Associate
I had this pinned as the next thing to try, but wondered if it is going to be an ongoing faff to get working, unlike Vanced - that that needed a cursor to navigate in retrospect.

It's got to the point I don't mind paying for YTP - just not at the 15 quid a month mark, I like the idea of a couple of quid a month more :D
No faff at all, it is designed for a tv interface so works with the remote just like the native YouTube app.

Soldato
OP
This app is incredible! Only issue I have is trying to get my OLED 'magic remote' to get control of it/the Shield at times... nothing to do with the app really, just a gripe as I'm British andike to moan :D
More to do with HDMI-CEC, some TVs/devices don't always implement it properly. Notice it sometimes goes iffy with my Samsung and Shield as well, but I found using the Shield's remote to clear all apps allows the Samsung remote to work properly again, or use the Samsung remote to pick the Shield input, even if it's already on the Shield already. These solutions might work with your LG if I googled that remote right.

Soldato
More to do with HDMI-CEC, some TVs/devices don't always implement it properly. Notice it sometimes goes iffy with my Samsung and Shield as well, but I found using the Shield's remote to clear all apps allows the Samsung remote to work properly again, or use the Samsung remote to pick the Shield input, even if it's already on the Shield already. These solutions might work with your LG if I googled that remote right.
I think a software update borked it, on the LG I mean, as it worked fine before - might just chuck some new batteries in the Shield remote and save the hassle (proper first world issue eh :D

Soldato
I still get adds with this. Followed it as it says no issues patching but adds still show up. Vanced still working for now so back to that.

Last edited:
Soldato
I still get adds with this. Followed it as it says no issues patching but adds still show up. Vanced still working for now so back to that.
Yeah, I don't think it's perfect - the key (I've found) is that you need to get the right apk version of YouTube the Revanced Manager requests, or the patches don't work.

It pretty much works for me 80 to 90% of the time, but it sometimes seems to get to a point where no videos load, and I just get a black screen with a spinning circle - I've not had adverts though.

Whenever the patched YT plays up, I just open the site in the Iceraven browser and let all the ad blockers do their thing.

Soldato
OP
As above you need to make sure you've downloaded the recommended version (from places such as APKMirror) since the patches target that version, it won't work on the latest one. I also found certain patches don't work too well, example is the custom buffer patch can actually cause videos to not load.

Previous manager suggested 17.36.37 which is what I'm using and works fine for me, but I can see the current recommended is 17.41.37. Maybe rolling back to the 36 branch might work better.

Soldato
As above you need to make sure you've downloaded the recommended version (from places such as APKMirror) since the patches target that version, it won't work on the latest one. I also found certain patches don't work too well, example is the custom buffer patch can actually cause videos to not load.

Previous manager suggested 17.36.37 which is what I'm using and works fine for me, but I can see the current recommended is 17.41.37. Maybe rolling back to the 36 branch might work better.
That worked a treat thanks

Soldato
The SmartTubeNext seems to work fine on my Pixel 6 and old Samsung tab - do it looks like that app isn't locked to just Android TV.

Just found it a bit faffy to close with the P6 gestures, but with soft buttons on the tabket, it was fine.

Looks thus this will be my new go-to ad free YT (until it gets shut down lol)

Edit: navigation off an Android TV device is a bit flakey, but just about do-able once you access the menu on the left and access your subs. But it wasn't designed to run off Android TV AFAIK, so just a heads up.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Seriously guys why not just spend the £14 for 12 months of YouTube Premium.

It's not just about the ads, premium won't have:
Sponsor block
Tap on seek bar
Removing unneeded buttons like Create, Shorts, etc
Old quality layout (so you can pick the resolution instead of YouTube's weird "high quality", "data saver", etc)
Return dislike button

And a few other features that can make using the app more comfortable.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
It's not just about the ads, premium won't have:
Sponsor block
Tap on seek bar
Removing unneeded buttons like Create, Shorts, etc
Old quality layout (so you can pick the resolution instead of YouTube's weird "high quality", "data saver", etc)
Return dislike button

And a few other features that can make using the app more comfortable.
I've not used Vanced for a while so I'm not up to date with it's features, but..

Return dislike button - not sure what you mean? The dislike button works fine on YT, can press it then press it again to cancel the dislike no problems, if that's what you meant?
Resolution - I have it set to high quality and it always plays videos in at least 1080p. If I want it higher I can just select whatever resolution I want when the video plays, no issues.
Why is Shorts button unneeded? Shorts on YT are great watch them all the time, it's nice to have a button to go straight into it.
Tap on seek bar - as opposed to having to drag it? I would argue the opposite, dragging is better as can then select a specific time, instead of tapping which is guesswork.
Sponsor block - So Vanced will auto skip any sponsor stuff in a video? Is that only if it has 'Includes Promotion' thing showing? As a lot of videos don't have that and they still show sponsors.

With YT I can watch a video on my phone pause it, resume the same video at the same spot on my tablet, pause again, then resume at the same spot on my TV. Can I do that with Vanced?

Soldato
OP
I've not used Vanced for a while so I'm not up to date with it's features, but..

Return dislike button - not sure what you mean? The dislike button works fine on YT, can press it then press it again to cancel the dislike no problems, if that's what you meant?
Resolution - I have it set to high quality and it always plays videos in at least 1080p. If I want it higher I can just select whatever resolution I want when the video plays, no issues.
Why is Shorts button unneeded? Shorts on YT are great watch them all the time, it's nice to have a button to go straight into it.
Tap on seek bar - as opposed to having to drag it? I would argue the opposite, dragging is better as can then select a specific time, instead of tapping which is guesswork.
Sponsor block - So Vanced will auto skip any sponsor stuff in a video? Is that only if it has 'Includes Promotion' thing showing? As a lot of videos don't have that and they still show sponsors.

With YT I can watch a video on my phone pause it, resume the same video at the same spot on my tablet, pause again, then resume at the same spot on my TV. Can I do that with Vanced?

1. YT killed the dislike feature. The button is still there but you can't see the dislike count, it's private. It's now done via a 3rd party service, via browser extensions or patched into the app: https://www.returnyoutubedislike.com
2. The classical picker is still there but it's now behind an extra tap. I often change it depending on where I am as some area's 4G/5G is just too slow/congested.
3. Personal choice. Not everyone likes shorts. If you like it, then you can keep it. If you don't bother with shorts then it's just crowding the bottom bar.
4. Again personal choice. Older versions had tap to seek, and I prefer it over dragging as it feels faster to seek, to me at least.
5. Any sponsor, not just the ones with "Includes Promotions", it's community driven: https://sponsor.ajay.app

I'm not saying YouTube themselves should change the app to suit the examples I listed (ReVanced has more patches that can do more things), but rather give the user to change the UI/UX to suit the user's preferences. ReVanced does this, you don't have to apply every patch, only the ones you feel will benefit the way you use the app. Old Vanced had all the extra features built in but they still allowed the user to enable/disable the features they wanted. Everyone is different, there's no best way to suit everyone's usage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom