Cities Skylines 2 is Official!

Associate
Was thinking of upgrading to 64gb of RAM tail end of this year, now I’m wondering if I should just bite the bullet and go to 128 :cry::cry::cry:
I was legitimately considering it when i upgraded just the other week, just for CS2. The rainforest site had 64GB 5200mhz sets for £144 'like new' and they had 2 packs. I ended up going with 2x 32GB 6000Mhz at £125/ea from OCUK simply because of the lifetime warranty, so it would have only cost £40 to go to 128GB, but it just felt overkill and having had sticks fail in the last 3-4yrs and OCUK came to the rescue (at the time couldnt afford to replace it otherwise, so that was significant), so it made more sense to go down that route. The other consideration i had was the expectation of memory speeds improving, and likely buying something better down the line.

I bought the 7950X3D because i figured if CS2 does benefit from more cores, that'll help nicely, and the X3D aspect should help for all games. As things stand though, I probably lose out in more games compared to the 7800X3D, but im more interested in sim games like CS2 so may work out okay for the type of games i like.

Soldato
I was legitimately considering it when i upgraded just the other week, just for CS2. The rainforest site had 64GB 5200mhz sets for £144 'like new' and they had 2 packs. I ended up going with 2x 32GB 6000Mhz at £125/ea from OCUK simply because of the lifetime warranty, so it would have only cost £40 to go to 128GB, but it just felt overkill and having had sticks fail in the last 3-4yrs and OCUK came to the rescue (at the time couldnt afford to replace it otherwise, so that was significant), so it made more sense to go down that route. The other consideration i had was the expectation of memory speeds improving, and likely buying something better down the line.

I bought the 7950X3D because i figured if CS2 does benefit from more cores, that'll help nicely, and the X3D aspect should help for all games. As things stand though, I probably lose out in more games compared to the 7800X3D, but im more interested in sim games like CS2 so may work out okay for the type of games i like.

You are not helping me here dude, I don’t need anymore excuses to blast more money on an upgrade :cry:

Associate
I also read the 'using our own mod platform' as a way for them to make more money, especially given their previous form of dlc out the wazoo.

Benefit of the doubt - it may not be the case, but if they can squeeze that extra income stream out of the game then I'm sure the shareholders are pushing them to. I'm sure they're acutely aware just how many mods and assets were created and downloaded for CS1 which are just dollar signs to senior management...

Last edited:
Soldato
I built this PC from right at the end of 2020 with 64GB of RAM specifically for Cities Skylines as it know how much crazy amounts of RAM it can use. I already got a city using something like 36GB and it wasn't even that big, although I was using lots of mods.

I am hoping the second one is waaaaaaaaaaaay more optimised, it needs to be really it was one of the biggest flaws with the original.

Underboss
Any mods that circumvent a game mechanic or circumvent something in a DLC pack and it'll be "reviewed" and then "not approved".

I can see it now

Soldato
I built this PC from right at the end of 2020 with 64GB of RAM specifically for Cities Skylines as it know how much crazy amounts of RAM it can use. I already got a city using something like 36GB and it wasn't even that big, although I was using lots of mods.

I am hoping the second one is waaaaaaaaaaaay more optimised, it needs to be really it was one of the biggest flaws with the original.
Sadly Devs have already come out and said it isn't where they'd like it to be in terms of optimisation. D'oh!

Associate
Apparently in this afternoons live stream they said that PDXMods will be available days after CS2's release. So it seems reasonable to think we might only have to wait 2wk or around then.

Their Dev diary post also mentioned that the modding community have had access to a lot of the pre-release stuff for a while. It'll be interesting when their NDA drops and they're able to talk about what they've already accomplished, their plans, and their expectations for what the editor will allow with more time and their priority moved away from re-creating CS1 mods to stuff that simply wasnt possible before.

All the things i'd personally like to see added or changed from vanilla, i feel are pretty minor.

1) The modular buildings are nice, but inconsistent.
Some of the buildings, like the fire station i think, if you wanted extra engine garages, they'd plop onto the existing object in a specific location.
Then other buildings, like the College/Uni, the buildings are added outside of the base building, must be attached, not sure if they can be rotated, and i felt they didnt blend in seamlessly side-by-side. Its like they are 2 different assets made by different people coming together without seeing the others work.

2) A lot of the assets feel restricted. Theres a mix of regional styles to cover all bases, but in doing this they leave obvious gaps.
Shops/Commercial are probably the most obvious. Theres nothing that represents a European style city high-street/shopping center. Likewise theres no huge shopping malls or big-box retail outlets. Its small town European shops, and standalone US drive-thru types.
I feel this applies to a lot of things though, 1 train station, 1 fire station etc, theres no options, everything is city sized. Its a shame really, especially with a community of modders they could have brought in to fill things out. Instead its like they've settled on making just 1 of everything, and they can simply leave the gaps to unpaid modders.

3) Probably the one that bothers me most, the implementation of industries look kinda horrible. Why does a huge farm have multiple buildings randomly dotted through its fields?? All the industries have these randomly appearing assets in them which pop up as they level up.
I'd love to see them left alone, let people build huge fields/quarries/forests etc, and include plopables with zero cost, zero benefit, as set dressing. Let us put down tractors & combines, rock trucks & diggers etc. Dont give us huge zoned areas and then leave it to RNG to determine how it looks. It seemed so promising when they showed we could make huge farmers fields, and then up started popping random buildings, surrounded by crop (1 crop, not even multiple texture options for variety).

4) Doubt this is possible even with mods, but with the ability to zone things like farms & trash dumps, i think it would be been interesting if you could zone something like a school, and rather than the whole thing be plopped down in 1 asset, have a bunch of connectable pieces and build something yourself. Multiple playgrounds, an indoor sports hall, tennis/basketball courts etc. Need more capacity in an inner city school, build upwards (incremental costs). This could be applied to things like public services & energy, so they can start small and scale upwards as needed. How can we have small villages with reasonable crime levels when the only cop-shop is the size of a football field etc. Mods will give us smaller & larger options, but part of me thinks it shouldnt need to, but also it could have been really interesting if things could be fully modular. We've had DLCs that did things similarly (eg zoos & theme parks werent a bunch of fixed assets). I'd excuse the lack of variety in building types if they were modular.

All visual things really, as its hard to judge gameplay stuff without getting hands on. Stuff like beaches and that sort of themed stuff, Zoos, Theme Parks, will obviously come in DLC form because 1 building doesnt do them justice. These are just things that are being done in vanilla that i feel could have been better.

Man of Honour
Key points imo -

Will Cities: Skylines II launch paid mods or Micro-transaction on Paradox Mods?
No. There will not be any paid mods for Cities: Skylines II on Paradox Mods.

How will Paradox Mods handle creations with updates? Do they download as soon as Steam is opened?
When any mod that you're subscribed to has an update it will start downloading and updating automatically once the game is started.

Will you be able to publish copyrighted buildings or copyrighted brands?
You are able to publish anything that you create, but if we receive a cease-and-desist it will be removed. It is the same process as on Steam Workshop.

Last edited:
Soldato
2) A lot of the assets feel restricted. ……. Instead it’s like they've settled on making just 1 of everything, and they can simply leave the gaps to unpaid modders.

DLC my friend, DLC…. this is the way.

I’m pretty sure the base CS1 only had one of each and none of the unique buildings the ‘final’ version has with all the DLC.

Soldato
OP
I'm even more looking forward to the game now I know I've got game pass for £2.50 a month and I'm not getting a gimped version of Cities Skylines 2, it's gonna be awesoommmee, even if my 4080 can't really play it properly.

Soldato
I've shelled out for the Ultimate edition. It'll likely feel a little lacking in functionality initially before the first major pieces of DLC are added but the quality of life improvements to the base game have sold it for me. I was never happy having to install loads and loads of mods just to do the basics. I always found constructing highways and on\off ramps and roundabouts a nightmare in CS1.

Soldato
OP
I've shelled out for the Ultimate edition. It'll likely feel a little lacking in functionality initially before the first major pieces of DLC are added but the quality of life improvements to the base game have sold it for me. I was never happy having to install loads and loads of mods just to do the basics. I always found constructing highways and on\off ramps and roundabouts a nightmare in CS1.
I hope DLC will still be like £8 as per CS1 but I feel it's going to be £20 a go.

Soldato
I hope DLC will still be like £8 as per CS1 but I feel it's going to be £20 a go.
Pretty sure it was only £8 long after release when it was on sale and another DLC had come out.

They’ve been £15-£20 on release - all the most recent ones have.

Content creator (asset) packs were cheaper £4-£6 range.

Soldato
OP
Pretty sure it was only £8 long after release when it was on sale and another DLC had come out.

They’ve been £15-£20 on release - all the most recent ones have.

Content creator (asset) packs were cheaper £4-£6 range.

I started playing CS1 in 2018, got all the packs from the usual sites for about 5 quid each, the newer ones on release were about £6-£8

Back
Top Bottom