• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Thread**

Associate
I was 99% sure I was going for an FE card today just because I am an impatient sod. But these last 2 quotes have convinced me to hang fire and do without my PC for 2-3 more weeks. It will give me a chance to get through a dozen 4k movies bought for me at Xmas :)

Same here, but come on! This cannot be right.

Are there any youtube reviews that would show the noise of the fan?

Soldato
Unless you can live the the noise, you will end up paying top money for a card which in real life tests wont be that much faster than an AIB 1080. If you are going to pay £699 for a great card, you may as well pay another £50 for one with a decent cooler which won't throttle unless you are putting it under water.
I think it will be closer to £100 for coolers which significantly outperform the FE. Gibbo has already said that some AIB FE cards will be priced at more than £699.

Soldato
From what I have read the reference throttles at 70% fan on an open test bench. If you want a reference card then you will have to put it under water or lose the performance you are paying for.

With the exception of SLI. Ref cards will run cooler in SLI than AIB cards will.

I remember my MSI frozr V 980Ti's. In SLI they ran at 82c even with fans nearly at 100%.

But yes single card, an AIB custom cooler is far superior.

Caporegime
This can't be right.. nvidia wouldn't sell a product like that. You're saying that everyone who buys reference card (FE) will be buying 1080 cause it throttles down when gaming?

Well it looks like the 1080ti is no better than the Titan cooler. At normal profile setting that was awful and only allowed you a 1900 boost and I have seen it drop below 1800. Compare that with decent cooling and 2088 all day long.

Seems daft to give up 10 to 15% of the performance gain from moving to a 1080ti.

Of course, if its fine with you, you can just whack the fans up to maximum and you will get its full potential from the FE version. Personally I cant stand noisy gfx cards even if I game mostly with headphones on.

Just seems silly not to wait a week or two for AIB cards thats all.

Associate
I owned a Titan XP but sent it back due to coil whine. But I guess this card is equivalent to the '1080 ti FE' and when I benched the Titan XP, it was quite loud compared to the 1080 Gaming X i evenutally settled with, which was super silent 99% of the time.

I read they improved the fan on the ti but it seems like they did very little.

Soldato
The cost of the card this time is as close to the actual dollar value as we've had (I'm pretty sure). Can't imagine you would save much getting from the states this time around.

True and I've saved a lot on the EVGA AIO (just the pump + radiator) which I was going to put on a 1070/1080 but decided to wait for the Ti. I won't run a standard blower though that's for certain!

The 980 ti was ~£200 less last time for me.

Soldato
This can't be right.. nvidia wouldn't sell a product like that. You're saying that everyone who buys reference card (FE) will be buying 1080 cause it throttles down when gaming?

There is a difference between throttling and not boosting as high. on the FE cooler the 1080Ti like previous cards will meet all the speeds laid out in the literature so yes Nvidia are selling the product performing as intended, also the fact the FE cooler is part of their marketing brand and the blower style cooler is useful for some situations is why they are sticking with it. Now Boost is different in that if you have more headroom in terms of volts and temperature the card will clock much higher then the box specs. on the FE cooler the boost will usually be very small due to hitting a thermal limit pretty soon rather then power constraint (why when under water the FE cards can clock as high as after market as thermal constraint is removed) This is where after market come in which increase that thermal margin will allow you to maintain a higher boost.

Soldato
True and I've saved a lot on the EVGA AIO (just the pump + radiator) which I was going to put on a 1070/1080 but decided to wait for the Ti. I won't run a standard blower though that's for certain!

Gamersnexus are doing a hybrid Ti now. Parts 2 and 3 to follow later this week/next week.

But it will be pretty much the same as the 1080 hybrid they made.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was thinking.. today we should see FE cards from other brands as well, right?
What if I buy today EVGA stock cooler version, then in a month or two use step up program and swap for FTW version - is this possible?

I don't think you can step up to a different variation of your current card. I would check evgas terms and conditions on this.

Soldato
What cpu do you think would best complement this gpu for 1080p 144hz gsync monitor?

My concern is a 1080 ti would be wasted at that res due to cpu bottleneck in a lot of games.

Man of Honour
End of story thank you,no competent answer....there is the proof on the video,you just ignored.I speak german as my nativ...

The only proof on that video is how he is doing it wrong.

How do you know what languages I speak?

The bottom line is you said I could not get those clocks with Witcher 3, I did it easy, end of story.

Associate
It would be good to see what prices they are pegged at and if any are cheaper or priced the same as the founders edition.
My guess is best part of £100 for a decent brand. Might just eat it with the founders, any extra performance from aftermarket I can probably claim back by lowering shadows from ultra to very high ha.

Soldato
Apologies for skipping the thread, I'm at work and don't have a great deal of time *right now* to read through.

Does anybody know the ETA for aftermarket coolers / non-reference cards? Is there a confirmed date?
If not, how long is it usually judging by past releases i.e. 1080, 980Ti?

If somebody could quote my post so I get an alert, that'd be brilliant. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom