1 Series - F20

[TW]Fox;21533826 said:
What? How does it?

125i M Sport: £26065
Golf GTI 2.0TFSI: £25905

They are the same price really?

I dont understand why most of your posts contain random made up things :(

5 Door Golf GTI DSG + Xennons + Leathers & Metallic paint £28,915.00. That's excluding other essentials like folding mirrors, fixed price service etc.

125i at same spec (automatic gearbox) £29,975.00

So you have a point, but the 125i is a fair bit faster not to mention more economical. Really the 125i competes against the GTI 35 in terms of performance which in equivalent spec is greater than £30,000.

My main point is that if the 125i didn't look so horrendous then surely it would be the obvious choice here?

Last edited:
5 Door Golf GTI DSG + Xennons + Leathers & Metallic paint £28,915.00. That's excluding other essentials like folding mirrors, fixed price service etc.

125i at same spec (automatic gearbox) £29,975.00

So you have a point, but the 125i is a fair bit faster not to mention more economical. Really the 125i competes against the GTI 35 in terms of performance which in equivalent spec is greater than £30,000.

My main point is that if the 125i didn't look so horrendous then surely it would be the obvious choice here?

Hardly a fair bit faster either is it?

215bhp v 200bhp?

Is this right, as I know the Leon Cupras have 240-250 bhp?

But yeah 15 bhp is hardly 'a fair bit faster'

I really don't like this car. I hate the front headlights. I personally think you're bonkers.

But hey, it's not my money. If you're happy with it and it's what you want then grats on your new purchase.

Really should have gotten the visibility pack and pro nav though

Hardly a fair bit faster either is it?

215bhp v 200bhp?

Is this right, as I know the Leon Cupras have 240-250 bhp?

But yeah 15 bhp is hardly 'a fair bit faster'

The Golf will have the newer TSI unit with 211BHP so it is even closer.

On paper the BMW is faster but in the real world with average drivers there will be bugger all in it.

Seriously - you would buy a 10 year old Golf (design) with front wheel drive over this ?!?!

125d3Private.jpg

Seriously - you would buy a 10 year old Golf (design) with front wheel drive over this ?!?!

I'd buy neither if I had nearly 30 grand to spend on a car to be fair, however much I like BMW's. It's nice but it's not 30 grand nice. And non-projector headlights are such a pet hate of mine - they are deliberately cheap. There is no reason to use a reflector over a projector bar saving money on construction costs. Heck projectors have been around for 20 years now, they really should be a standard feature on all cars of this calibre.

If you put a gun to my head I'd definately have the 125i over the Golf but not your 118i. At just £1500 between them I am simply amazed that you could get as far as what, £27000 on a 118i without just adding that extra £1500. If you are going to blow your brains out with depreciation on a hatchback at least do it properly.

Like I said earlier, my budget couldn't go to a 125i.
Anyway, the difference is minimal and traffic lights GP's don't thrill me anymore :)

Also, taking into account all of the other comments in this thread, it's not just another £1,500 is it.

Sat Nav : £2k
Leather : £1.2k
Vis Pack : £1.2k

I guess it's easy to suggest something is a must have when it's not your money ;)

I agree in a way, I think whatever I end up speccing as a co car I likely won't bother with the Nav as there's no real point for me.

I never use sat nav, and don't need it for resale, so short of just having it because it looks prettier I'd rather spend the cash on getting a better model :)

Probably wouldn't bother with leather or vis for same reasons (I actually like the alcantara seats).

Would be different if I was purchasing, but I'm not just renting ;)

Also, taking into account all of the other comments in this thread, it's not just another £1,500 is it.

The difference between a 118i of your spec and a 125i of the same spec is, yes. I'd almost guarantee you get that back at resale, too :)

That colour is absolutely epic though, bet you are glad you didnt go for white :)

Last edited:
Lack of traffic light GP used as a justification for getting a 118 over a 125, yet you want RWD over FWD.
It's an extra 40 bhp - I really don't need to get to the next stop sign/red light one second quicker :)

[TW]Fox;21558615 said:
That colour is absolutely epic though, bet you are glad you didnt go for white :)
Yes, at least this thread has been useful for something - it looks amazing in that photo :)

My car should be ready early June.

It's an extra 40 bhp - I really don't need to get to the next stop sign/red light one second quicker :)

Should have saved yourself £2k and gone for a 116i M Sport then ;)

The 118i seems to be the odd one out in the range - it's £2k more than a 116i yet only £1500 less than a 125i. The 116i therefore makes sense if you are trying to save money (if such a thing is possible with these kind of list prices) and the 125i if you don't. Not really sure where the 118i comes in?

The 116i and 118i share the same 1.6 litre turbo powerplant, the 125i gives you the 2 litre turbo from the F30.

Last edited:
[TW]Fox;21558788 said:
As above - they are different engines. The 116i/118i have the same engine, the 125i has a larger engine.

Therefore it has totally different characteristics. All of which would have been considered by someone who discounts FWD, surely?

Doesn't make sense.

Back
Top Bottom