• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Just saw the review of the 3080Ti. So much for the “extra ram on the 3080Ti won’t cost much” and “better of waiting for the 3080Ti”.

Terrible price for performance as I predicted. 3080 at £649 with all the codes that came with it was a steal relative to this. After all this time there is still not a single new title worth mentioning that 10gb cannot tame :D

But the 3080 doesn't cost 649 in anywhere

May my local store right now the 3080ti is up for order at less than most 3080 prices

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

May my local store right now the 3080ti is up for order at less than most 3080 prices
It cost that much just today if you was quick enough in the UK actually. I also paid that much myself last year for it.

End of the day if one was going to pay such silly sums for it, might as well have picked up a 3090 FE ages ago. They have been relatively easier to get too due to higher price.

Soldato
It cost that much just today if you was quick enough in the UK actually. I also paid that much myself last year for it.

End of the day if one was going to pay such silly sums for it, might as well have picked up a 3090 FE ages ago. They have been relatively easier to get too due to higher price.

Yeah you guys are lucky, we get ripped off here - only card at 649 is a rtx3060

Caporegime

Hindsight is always 20/20... right? No consumer could have known or predicted how the current market would turn out. It is unprecedented insanity.

Soldato

There are 3080 FE drops at £649, that's what I paid about a month ago. There was another one just after the 3080ti went live, several people on here have commented they got one.

It's not like winning the lottery level difficulty.

Caporegime
I would say after many many months now though - regarding the Ti delay and debacle that in this example bagging a 3090FE at launch and having it for ages to play games was the better prospect. Waiting did not really pay off on this one.
Yup, that's amazingly how it turned out, against all sensible and logical expectations. If the market is still bat-**** crazy with the release of the next-gen in Q3 2022 then I will be ordering the 4090 and not selling my card until the new one is firmly in my hands. As long as I will be gaming I never want a repeat of what happened this gen.

Soldato
Yip 3080 was never an option for me personally, glad I got a 3090 FE for MSRP.

To be fair, I'd say the 3080 is fine at 4k with games released upto 2020. The titles I've played after this, all push right up against the 10GB frame buffer and I have noticed the occasional stuttering when this happens.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Hindsight is always 20/20... right? No consumer could have known or predicted how the current market would turn out. It is unprecedented insanity.
Indeed. However even without the current market being like this, I do think it was not hard to predict that the price of the 3080Ti would be silly (maybe not this silly) which is what my prediction was.

Yup, that's amazingly how it turned out, against all sensible and logical expectations. If the market is still bat-**** crazy with the release of the next-gen in Q3 2022 then I will be ordering the 4090 and not selling my card until the new one is firmly in my hands. As long as I will be gaming I never want a repeat of what happened this gen.
I do not game as much as I used to, certainly don’t do online gaming no more so that’s all worked out for me. Played all the graphically intensive games for 7 months and now I am happy to wait a year or even two if need be to pick up a next gen card. Plenty of steam games I can play on my laptop which has a 2060 in it. May also pick up a 3060Ti or 4700XT in the meantime. Essentially selling my 3080 for £1615 means I got my laptop, a 3060Ti/4070XT (yet to buy) and CPU upgrade from a Ryzen 3600 to 5900X for free and still left in profit :D

Permabanned
To be fair, I'd say the 3080 is fine at 4k with games released upto 2020. The titles I've played after this, all push right up against the 10GB frame buffer and I have noticed the occasional stuttering when this happens.

I do not play at 4k but want high FPS at 1440p as you may know LCD is crap so that is why we need higher than 60FPS (used to be the Golden number to hit) to make it smooth but still not like CRT/Plasma motion, added to Adaptive Sync tech

I would not class the 3090 FE as a 4k card unless you are happy with older games or lower FPS, could say nearly any recent card is 4k in that case (1080Ti/Titan Xp etc)

Permabanned
Well done, it will run cooler and quieter and may hit a higher Core than your 3080.

You can sell your 3080 for more than the you bought it for and may even pay off the 3090.

Caporegime
Indeed. However even without the current market being like this, I do think it was not hard to predict that the price of the 3080Ti would be silly (maybe not this silly) which is what my prediction was.

I do not game as much as I used to, certainly don’t do online gaming no more so that’s all worked out for me. Played all the graphically intensive games for 7 months and now I am happy to wait a year or even two if need be to pick up a next gen card. Plenty of steam games I can play on my laptop which has a 2060 in it. May also pick up a 3060Ti or 4700XT in the meantime.

I now game mostly at 4k120hz on an OLED TV, so definitely feel that I need all the muscle I can get going forwards.

Essentially selling my 3080 for £1615 means I got my laptop, a 3060Ti/4070XT (yet to buy) and CPU upgrade from a Ryzen 3600 to 5900X for free and still left in profit :D
Wow, that is one hell of a scalp! :eek:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I now game mostly at 4k120hz on an OLED TV, so definitely feel that I need all the muscle I can get going forwards.

Wow, that is one hell of a scalp! :eek:
Hehe. Yeah. Thanks to CeX. Was nice and easy. Dropped of the card, couple of days later money was in my account. Was lucky with timing too, as the price they were buying for literally went down the next day and has kept going down since. I knew it was coming due to big crash in crypto. Demand & supply and all that.

Yeah, gaming on an OLED is sweet. Recently hooked up my laptop to my OLED tv. Can now look forward to enjoying a bunch of titles again on it as taking my laptop downstairs and hooking it up is easy relative to lugging down my PC case which I never did get around to doing before selling my 3080.

Soldato
There are 3080 FE drops at £649, that's what I paid about a month ago. There was another one just after the 3080ti went live, several people on here have commented they got one.

It's not like winning the lottery level difficulty.

That really was a cheeky move to put up the 3080's after the Ti's - or maybe they went live at the same time but everyone was mashing F5 for a Ti and didn't really look. Dang cheeky.

Soldato
You obviously did not understand what I said if that is your response. Where did I claim nvidia does not control the end cost? Read it again.
Whose "them" in your previous post? Based on the post your previous post quoted i assume Nvidia.

All that matters is the end cost to us. Not them.

By the way you've worded your post you've seperated the end cost from Nvidia. Whether that is your intention or not is a different conversation.

Also who is defending Nvidia? Not me. Not that AMD are much better these days. None of these companies are our friends. That is why I have never had any loyalty to Nvidia or AMD. I buy what is best for me at the time.

Did you forgot what thread you are posting in?

Like I just picked up a 5900X for £413 today. Already stuck it in my sig too ;)

I think Nvidia ran benchmarks with AMD cpus? What's your point?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Whose "them" in your previous post? Based on the post your previous post quoted i assume Nvidia.

By the way you've worded your post you've seperated the end cost from Nvidia. Whether that is your intention or not is a different conversation.

Did you forgot what thread you are posting in?

I think Nvidia ran benchmarks with AMD cpus? What's your point?
You seem to have a way of looking at every single thing I say in the worst possible way. I do not understand why you do that but it seems like it is what is causing the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom