2019 NFL Season Thread

Soldato
What do you mean by "illegally physically abusing" as you make it sound although that was some sort of preceding event?

Tackling him to the ground when he didn't have the ball started it all off, no?

what are your thoughts?

I think these workouts are a scam of sorts tbh since teams will be focused for tomorrow etc

Yeah, for sure. I've heard it is perhaps all to do with his court case against the league. The league themselves doesn't generally arrange these things so they think it's part of some kind of deal. Apparently the league had tried to book it for a Tuesday and CK declined and said it needed to be later, so they end up with the Saturday.

Then, according to BBC news, CK missed the official workout and so they just did something else later in the day, not officially linked to the NFL's arranged workout... what a mess.

Soldato
Garret's late tackle is still a football play though and Rudolph reacting to it by trying to take off Garret's helmet is not a football play

Garret only swung because he came after him but he still shouldn't have used the helmet as a weapon

Somehow this wasn't showing to me yesterday, very odd.

An illegal football move, yes. Which was what caused the reaction from Rudolph, which wasn't really much and tbh probably wouldn't even cause a flag if it just ended there. 'Garret only swung because he came after him...' yes, after Garrett had violently dragged Rudolph about by the facemask to the point the helmet actually came off. You guys are talking like they did the same thing to each other. Rudolph, pulled at Garrett's helmet a bit with the palm of his hand, in the midst of a scuffle. Garrett picked Rudolph up by the face cage and repeatedly pulled at it until it came off. Me and the league are together apparently. Rudolph's reaction, whilst not correct, wasn't THAT bad and wasn't really dangerous. Garrett's was both bad and dangerous.

What damage could have been done dragging Rudolph by the facemask? Probably very bad. Aside helmet to helmet, bad facemask penalties are some of the scariest looking things in the game. What could have been done if he connected with the helmet to Rudolph's skull? Probably very bad.

What could Rudolph have done pulling at the back of his helmet with his palm while they were wrestling on the ground? I can't think anything that bad could have happened.

Soldato
OP
A late tackle is illegally physically abusing someone now :o :D let's just cancel the NFL today them because this sort of 'abuse' is rife, come on, really?

This topic has turned people into such drama queens, a helmet is now a weapon, a late tackle is now physical abuse. People need to get a grip of themselves.

Soldato
OP
Somehow this wasn't showing to me yesterday, very odd.

An illegal football move, yes. Which was what caused the reaction from Rudolph, which wasn't really much and tbh probably wouldn't even cause a flag if it just ended there. 'Garret only swung because he came after him...' yes, after Garrett had violently dragged Rudolph about by the facemask to the point the helmet actually came off. You guys are talking like they did the same thing to each other. Rudolph, pulled at Garrett's helmet a bit with the palm of his hand, in the midst of a scuffle. Garrett picked Rudolph up by the face cage and repeatedly pulled at it until it came off. Me and the league are together apparently. Rudolph's reaction, whilst not correct, wasn't THAT bad and wasn't really dangerous. Garrett's was both bad and dangerous.

What damage could have been done dragging Rudolph by the facemask? Probably very bad. Aside helmet to helmet, bad facemask penalties are some of the scariest looking things in the game. What could have been done if he connected with the helmet to Rudolph's skull? Probably very bad.

What could Rudolph have done pulling at the back of his helmet with his palm while they were wrestling on the ground? I can't think anything that bad could have happened.

You are imagining worst case from Garrett dragging at his helemt, but ignoring worst case of Rudolph dragging it his. To use your own dramatic wording "probably something very bad"

Same as people praising the lineman (forget his name) for coming to help Rudolph, again people imagining worst case on Garrett actions but are seemingly cool with someone punching another player and trying to then stamp on his head.

I really don't understand people being cool with Rudolph in this. Again not excusing Garrett, but Rudolph acted like a petty little **** head because he sucks and tried to get a bit of Garrett, twice, unfortunately he picked a huge bloke to try and fight with. Again, not excusing Garrett.

Holding Rudolph and the 53 lineman accountable for their actions does not exonerate Garrett, people need to recognise that.

Soldato
let's just cancel the NFL today them because this sort of 'abuse' is rife, come on, really?

But this is kind of my point, thanks. This bit, including the pulling of helmet type action and getting up all angry in someone's face, is quite common place. Ripping off a helmet and swinging at the person's exposed head, not so much.

a helmet is now a weapon

Of course it is. It always has been. Seriously, you stand there while I swing a helmet at your head and see how you feel about it. It's pretty serious. Why is spearing a penalty? Because the helmet is a weapon. I thought this was just accepted tbh?

You are imagining worst case from Garrett dragging at his helemt

again people imagining worst case on Garrett actions but are seemingly cool with someone punching another player and trying to then stamp on his head.

Well yes... worse case of punching a helmet is probably a broken knuckle for the person punching. I didn't see the stamping and tbh I'm not really commenting on what the lineman did. Stamping certainly is bad, I agree.

Rudolph acted like a petty little **** head because he sucks and tried to get a bit of Garrett, twice, unfortunately he picked a huge bloke to try and fight with. Again, not excusing Garrett.

To me it just seems you have something against Rudolph and are not looking at this in an even and unbiased way. I personally find it amazing you guys think (I think?) that what Rudolph did is any where near close to as bad as what Garrett did.

Rudolph - Pulled a bit at the back of helmet while wrestling on the ground. Maybe light pulled muscle to Garrett's neck?

Garrett - Violently pulled at Rudolph's facemask multiple times. Could... could have broken his neck, worse case scenario? (Yes, really, really unlikely, but surely it's possible?)

Rudolph - Ran at Garrett in aggressive manner. No risk in itself of injuring anyone.

Garrett - Swung helmet at Rudolph's head. Could... could have connected full on, easily causing concussion and possibly worse, temporary or permanent damage (given any concussion is likely some limited permanent damage)

We probably aren't going to agree and should likely just move on :)

Last edited:
Soldato
One last thing from me, maybe we can rate how bad actions were out of 10? (Don't know will help, but might help me see where you guys are coming from? Are you saying Rudolph's actions were actually as bad?)

Garrett late tackle 1 or 2 out of 10

Rudolph wrestle, pull at helmet 3 or 4 out of 10

Garrett pull off helmet 6 or 7 out of 10

Rudolph run at Garret 1 out of 10

Garrett swinging helmet at Rudolph's head 9 or 10 out of 10.

Soldato
OP
I agree with you in that what Garrett did was way out of proportion and he needs punished, as I say I'm not for a second trying to defend that tool who was ruined what was looking like a good season (for him personally, Browns suck)

I'm just a little shocked at how people seem to be ignoring the fact that Rudolph incited it all and if he hadn't over reacted to Garrets (admittedly slightly late) hit this would never have happened. Every week QB's get hit late and if they reached as Rudolph did then this sort of idiocy would happen most weeks, but all QB's realise it's a mostly unfortunate, sometimes a little naughty, bit of the game and you have to grin and bear it and hope the NFL sanctions them.

Again, Garrett = mega douche, I just don't think him being a dick excuses the fact this would never have occurred if Rudolph wasn't a petulant little PoS. You are right I have something against Rudolph, that he's a straight up horrible QB, that doesn't mean I think he deserves this. I do however think though that his little petty and petulant side also needs punished, a side we hadn't seen before. Think to the start of all this, if he hadn't started it with Garrett this would never have happened, if he hadn't have come for seconds this would never have happened. He incited it all. (One last time though, this doesn't excuse and I'm not defending Garrett)

Not looking for an arguement on this, just surprised at the free pass :p

Soldato
I don't know if even agree he incited it all. I would say that's a little more grey. Maybe not totally relevant, but have you ever played? It's easy to say don't react when someone does something illegal that might hurt and your supposed to just ignore it. It's a little like you're walking down the street and some bloke just pushes you over. You should ignore it, or maybe find a policeman, but most would react in the instance. Not a perfect similarly, I know. These guys are professionals and should be better at turning the other cheek.

I would argue we do see players every week getting angry and reacting to someone doing something they shouldn't. We often hear about the person reacting is the one that gets the flag, which is why I think Rudolph didn't do too much different than others have in a similar situation.

Associate
What a disaster CK turned his (probably) last chance to impress an NFL team enough for them to sign him. I'm dubious of the NFL's motivation in all of this (and given their suit with CK is over that's not a reason.), but it's important to remember that the NFL can't sign him. That's for a team to do.

His (CKs) overwhelming need for attention combined with his constant whining have put him in a position where even 3 years after he was released no team is willing to deal with him. He's getting bad advice and he's making poor decisions. He seems to honestly believe that he can make the rules and 3 years on he still hasn't figured out that no team is going to stand for that. You'd think he might begin to understand that given only 8 teams bothered to show up and then only 6 actually made it to the 'new location'.

Superstar QB1's do have some power above others on their teams, but not to the extent that CK seems to insist upon. QB2's STFU and carry the clipboard.

Wake up CK!

I'd bet the ranch that no team will sign him. And truthfully I can't blame them. This despite the fact that I'd much rather have CK as a QB2 than Cooper Rush. (Cowboys)

Soldato
OP
I don't know if even agree he incited it all. I would say that's a little more grey. Maybe not totally relevant, but have you ever played? It's easy to say don't react when someone does something illegal that might hurt and your supposed to just ignore it. It's a little like you're walking down the street and some bloke just pushes you over. You should ignore it, or maybe find a policeman, but most would react in the instance. Not a perfect similarly, I know. These guys are professionals and should be better at turning the other cheek.

I would argue we do see players every week getting angry and reacting to someone doing something they shouldn't. We often hear about the person reacting is the one that gets the flag, which is why I think Rudolph didn't do too much different than others have in a similar situation.

Played at uni for 2 seasons. Season and a half at WR and half a season at FS so been on the giving and receiving end of things, been in a few scraps on the field only one getting out of control and, funnily enough, that was a D lineman who couldn't take a hit (after a picking up a fumble)

Most get on with it or at the most whine to a ref.

Anyhow, as you said earlier I don't think we will agree here so not worth arguing over :p

Soldato
I think I give up with the Redskins. Obviously I'll always be a Skins fan at heart, but I can't imagine they'll be up to much for a good few years. I think maybe I'll pull for the Ravens as now Jackson will be my keeper QB for many years to come (hopefully). I did it a bit with the Colts while I had Luck. At least it keeps me interested into January that way!

Soldato
another awful night from the rams, we got lucky that the bears were even worse.

goff gave up another stupid interception, love to know what he thinks he sees sometimes :(

as for the redskins, how in the hell did they do so badly, it was the jets, they've had some "decent" games but the ones against the 2 new york sides have just been terrible, saying that i'm still not sure what they saw in haskins to draft him as high as they did.

vikings game was something else, the stat the commentators came out with was along the lines of the record for teams down by 20+ points was 0-99 :eek:

Soldato
OP
In the 100tg year the hundredth team to be 20 down at the half are the first one to upset the odds.

It was actually a decent evening for close games, Niners game, Cowboys and the Vikings were all pretty exciting.

@mp260767 at least Gurley got some running done.

Associate
Fun fact to chew on:

In games where both teams have a winning percentage < 25% ( Jets @ Redskins) whoever is the initial underdog in the Vegas lines is 15:1:1... Now it's 16:1:1.

Not sure it really means anything but it's interesting... imo.

Back
Top Bottom