29 million Bulgarians and Romanians will gain the right to live and work unrestricted in our country

Surely it would make more economical sense to get all those able bodied natives into work first, then look at filling any shortfalls with immigration ? I fail to see how allowing jobs to go to imigrants is actually going to help the UK when there are still over 2million people unemployed.................

Sounds great, but what do you do when people are unwilling?

I'm pretty sure I was involved in that discussion, but shall endeavour to read it.

Yes, a google of the crime statistics does show that ethnic minorities commit more crimes. However, these are crimes that have actually been accounted for.

Take this situation. A police force can concentrate on a limited number of people, I'm sure we agree on this as the force is a finite size. The police assign 2/3 of their officers to the area of ethnic minorities, and 1/3 to an area with fewer ethnic minorities. Shock horror, 2/3 of the crimes that people are arrested for a committed by ethnic minorities, and 1/3 are committed by the others.

Now, I'm not saying this is actually the case, but this is very much a plausible scenario. When I read that sort of statistic, I make the assumption that not everyone has been policed equally, and not everyone has been caught for their crimes.

Can you see, then, why I doubt such statistics?

Perhaps ethnic minorities do commit more crimes, but statistics like those are not sufficient evidence, in my opinion.

With regards to your other point, I don't think our cultures are as different as you seem to suggest. All cultures are very similar to some extent. I can understand your point, but you would do well do define it like that when you start arguing about it.

All cultures are not similar in the slightest! look at what happens to Japanese tourists in Paris, such a great difference in culture it's a recognised syndrome. Paris syndrome. Look it up.

And whilst you might see that police scenario, fortunately that's not how it works. Greater resources are allocated to areas with greater levels of crime. You'll also find criminals tend not to...crap in their own nest so to speak. So crimes are committed away from their homes.

most of which will likely be covered for them through the benefits / working tax credits etc, they would be likely to receive as there is a propensity for many of them to be on minimum wage and thus would require additional state benefits.

There is actually no evidence this is the case either. In most cases benefits are not able to be claimed unless they have lived and worked in the UK for a required length of time (The right to reside test) and also reciprocity within the EU. Aside from this, many economic immigrants (especially those from outside the EU) are skilled with significant incomes. Other taxes are also paid by employers, and the growth in the economy benefits the exchequer in various indirect ways through increased productivity, employment, exports and so on, even when an employee is on or near minimum wage, there is still a net effect on the economy and state revenues.

Surely it would make more economical sense to get all those able bodied natives into work first, then look at filling any shortfalls with immigration ? I fail to see how allowing jobs to go to imigrants is actually going to help the UK when there are still over 2million people unemployed.................

Sounds great, how do you propose to do this? Get all 2m (it's actually less than that) unemployed into work, I know a bunch of firms struggling to get suitable workers here.

Last edited:

I used to have this opinion until more recently.

This year I did nearly 50 job interviews for a large city based consultancy, out of all of them probably 2-3 were English, the rest were mostly immigrants on Visas of some sort.

The English guys I interviewed were a joke, most of the immigrants - in particular Indian and Pakistani, were very highly qualified and experienced, miles ahead of everyone else, all gunning for £80k+ salaries.

I was totally surprised by the absolute lack of "plain white english guys" considering we really struggle to fill some roles.

But I don't know - I guess my experience is pretty meaningless, but it was an eye opener for me.

There is actually no evidence this is the case either. In most cases benefits are not able to be claimed unless they have lived and worked in the UK for a required length of time (The right to reside test) and also reciprocity within the EU. Aside from this, many economic immigrants (especially those from outside the EU) are skilled with significant incomes.

Sounds great, how do you propose to do this? Get all 2m (it's actually less than that) unemployed into work, I know a bunch of firms struggling to get suitable workers here.

that still makes no sense. SO they stay here long enough to qualify for benefits, they then get those benefits to support their income and we ares till left with a bunch of unemployed natives in addition to now forking out for top ups to in work immigrants.

I know not all imigrant workers are here on minimum wage, however I would infer that the majority that come to the UK seeking the gold paved streets are not 100K + consultants / doctors / engineers, but are from the less well off demographic of their own country.

The problems with filling "low wage" jobs in the UK with natives is the fact that they can get more by sitting on their backsides doing nothing. Successive governments have made it too easy to have a comfortable life without working. Therefore in order to fill a lot of these jobs companies have looked to imigrant workers.

I still stand by my original point though, of how does filling jobs with imigrants make financial sense when we already have a case of more people uemployed than jobs available in the UK ? and how does this not affect unemployment considering that job vacancies are finite.........

Can someone explain to me why the standard of living is so high in England, for poverty striken Romanians?

It's not. In general they come over to make a bit of money so they can pay for things back home like an extension on their house due to having growing family and stuff like that. I've read a couple of interviews from Polish migrants that were just trying to earn enough to go back to Poland and open a business.

Increases in population also lead to increases in public expenditure. What's crucial is that this is balanced out by the increases in tax revenue.
What we don't want, and the government are trying to avoid, is a load of people turning up looking for jobs and not finding them then staying here relying on the state.
That is simply not a sustainable outcome.

It's more than balanced out as a decade long study has shown that EU immigrants contribute more in taxes than they take in benefits.

The exact figure is one of the earlier posts, something like 11%.

This might change in the future but it's unlikely to be by a massive amount as there isn't a massive change. Just two more countries populations allowed to work here compared to 2004 when we had Poland, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania etc.. Plus back in 2004 only the UK, Ireland, and Sweden opened their doors to these new countries.

It's more than balanced out as a decade long study has shown that EU immigrants contribute more in taxes than they take in benefits.

The exact figure is one of the earlier posts, something like 11%.

This might change in the future but it's unlikely to be by a massive amount as there isn't a massive change. Just two more countries populations allowed to work here compared to 2004 when we had Poland, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania etc.. Plus back in 2004 only the UK, Ireland, and Sweden opened their doors to these new countries.

What about expenses other than just benefits though? Did the study take into account the increased infrastructure, health care, police etc? Or was it purely tax vs benefits?

What are the wages like?

Far above minimum wages. For example, I know at least one of our local bus companies need at least 20 drivers...training is provided and wages are around the 20-22k a year mark. One of our supermarkets is recruiting both full and part time staff, wages begin at £7.50 an hour. My wife firm is having difficulty recruiting various skilled positions, from developers to accountants, again at competitive rates.

In fact my wife's firm is considering moving base toward London in an attempt to find staff...she doesn't want to commute so found a new job (which she starts in Feb) within two weeks of looking.

There are plenty of jobs to be had, you just need two things..motivation and the ability to move to where the work is.

What about expenses other than just benefits though? Did the study take into account the increased infrastructure, health care, police etc? Or was it purely tax vs benefits?

It was a study which looked at the entire economic and social impact of the EU policy.

Are you really suggesting people up sticks for £7.50 an hour?

Is that really your best response. :rolleyes:

Clearly the cost and benefit of moving would be determined on an individual basis..however there is a broad spectrum of jobs at increasing rates of pay and different levels of skill to be had. If you are suggesting that a British worker cannot move or commute for work then therein lies one reason why employers must continue to look elsewhere.

If someone is willing to move 900 miles for work, why is is incredulous to expect someone else to move 50?

In any case, if we are to fill all these vacancies with British people, how do you suggest we do that without increasing mobility within the workforce?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom