29 million Bulgarians and Romanians will gain the right to live and work unrestricted in our country

Is that really your best response. :rolleyes:

Clearly the cost and benefit of moving would be determined on an individual basis..however there is a broad spectrum of jobs at increasing rates of pay and different levels of skill to be had. If you are suggesting that a British worker cannot move or commute for work then therein lies one reason why employers must continue to look elsewhere.

If someone is willing to move 900 miles for work, why is is incredulous to expect someone else to move 50?

In any case, if we are to fill all these vacancies with British people, how do you suggest we do that without increasing mobility within the workforce?

Why not move the jobs? Sure that corporate hq might look shiny on fleet place. Is it great for people working up north?

For the trans migratory workers from Bulgaria they can come over for 6 months or a year and make 3 times the amount. They don't need a career, they aren't here for one. Smash and cash grab yes.

If instead you had to rent a house in greater London and only got 20% more pay whilst your family lives back home - would that work out?

Why not move the jobs? Sure that corporate hq might look shiny on fleet place. Is it great for people working up north?

Sure we will run our local bus services from 350 miles away...make people travel 250 miles for their weekly shop, that makes perfect sense. Such practical solutions...

For the trans migratory workers from Bulgaria they can come over for 6 months or a year and make 3 times the amount. They don't need a career, they aren't here for one. Smash and cash grab yes.

Yet, there are also unemployed people where I live. And still these jobs go unfilled.

If instead you had to rent a house in greater London and only got 20% more pay whilst your family lives back home - would that work out?

I don't live in London. And why can't you move with your family for work if necessary? It happens pretty much everywhere else.

Last edited:
Because house prices are + xx % in the south? You'd have to change kids school. Lots of disruption. If you lose the job stuck with a high mortgage in an area you may not be able to afford.

Of course the bulgs can leave their wife and kid at home, not move, not disrupt. Live 5 to a shack knowing they will be going home in 6-12 months. Low risk to them with minimal disruption.

High risk to you and me with high cost of change.

what you are comparing is basically incomparable.

Because house prices are + xx % in the south? You'd have to change kids school. Lots of disruption. If you lose the job stuck with a high mortgage in an area you may not be able to afford.

Of course the bulgs can leave their wife and kid at home, not move, not disrupt. Live 5 to a shack knowing they will be going home in 6-12 months. Low risk to them with minimal disruption.

High risk to you and me with high cost of change.

what you are comparing is basically incomparable.

You have not explained how you fill regional jobs without external or mobile workforce?

Moving the jobs simply isn't practical.

As far as moving is concerned, lots of people do it all the time...I have done it, many of my friends have done it.

I know many people who went to Germany during the 80s and 90s to work, I know people who work abroad now.

All you are offering is lame excuses, not solutions...in fact your answers support the necessity of immigration rather than oppose it, which is ironic considering your opinion on most things.

Is that really your best response. :rolleyes:

Clearly the cost and benefit of moving would be determined on an individual basis..however there is a broad spectrum of jobs at increasing rates of pay and different levels of skill to be had. If you are suggesting that a British worker cannot move or commute for work then therein lies one reason why employers must continue to look elsewhere.

If someone is willing to move 900 miles for work, why is is incredulous to expect someone else to move 50?

In any case, if we are to fill all these vacancies with British people, how do you suggest we do that without increasing mobility within the workforce?

So move a few hundred miles for a zero hour contract job?

Low paid workers lack job security in the first 12 months, would you really move your family what that hanging over your head?

Moving to a new job isn't always practical either. You can't ignore the increase in cost of living as you get closer to the jobs which may or may not pay you more than enough to cover the cost of moving.

For the Bulgarian they know even taking a min wage job will be nearly 3x the amount in a wage rise.

If someone offered me 3 times the money I would think about moving. The elasticity is such that anything less than a 40-50% increase would simply not be worth it. Hence your comparison is wide of the mark.

importing more people doesn't help or fix this issue at all. The division between the rich who already own the land and the housing would only stand to increase further if we all had to move.

So move a few hundred miles for a zero hour contract job?

Low paid workers lack job security in the first 12 months, would you really move your family what that hanging over your head?

Who said they were zero hour contracts? They are not. And they are not all low paid jobs, unless you are saying it's not worth moving for a £20k+ job? And not all people have family commitments holding them, and not all unemployed people live far enough away that they would need to move. Yet these jobs remain vacant.

And yes I would, in fact we have moved, several times with work.

Who said they were zero hour contracts? They are not. And they are not all low paid jobs, unless you are saying it's not worth moving for a £20k+ job? And not all people have family commitments holding them, and not all unemployed people live far enough away that they would need to move. Yet these jobs remain vacant.

And yes I would, in fact we have moved, several times with work.

£20,000 in the north west goes a lot further that £20,000 in London.

Moving to a new job isn't always practical either. You can't ignore the increase in cost of living as you get closer to the jobs which may or may not pay you more than enough to cover the cost of moving.

Didn't say it was, but then increases in the cost of living apply to everyone, no matter where they come from.

For the Bulgarian they know even taking a min wage job will be nearly 3x the amount in a wage rise.

If someone offered me 3 times the money I would think about moving. The elasticity is such that anything less than a 40-50% increase would simply not be worth it. Hence your comparison is wide of the mark.

So, the increase from benefits or no job to one that pays £20k+ a year isn't worth moving for?

None of the jobs I mentioned were minimum wage, neither did I say that moving is necessary to fill them, local people are unemployed here also, yet they still do not apply or take these jobs. So how do you suggest those jobs are filled?

No one can seem to answer that fundamental question..instead replying with Strawmen arguments.

importing more people doesn't help or fix this issue at all. The division between the rich who already own the land and the housing would only stand to increase further if we all had to move.

What are you talking about now?

In fact my wife's firm is considering moving base toward London in an attempt to find staff...she doesn't want to commute so found a new job (which she starts in Feb) within two weeks of looking.

The trouble with most companies these days is they want their staff like you buy food out the box and ready to go.
It was all about training up when I was young. The UK will be worse off in the long run, unless we leave the EU asap.

The trouble with most companies these days is they want their staff like you buy food out the box and ready to go.
It was all about training up when I was young. The UK will be worse off in the long run, unless we leave the EU asap.

And yet, all the jobs I mentioned have or offer training programs to potential recruits, particularly the Bus Companies who require only a current car licence and will give you all the training and Licensing required as part of the job. My wife's firm runs a grad program as well...again undersubscribed or the applicant is unsuitable.

Leaving the EU won't fix that, only investment in our education and vocational training g infrastructure will do that.

Didn't say it was, but then increases in the cost of living apply to everyone, no matter where they come from.

So, the increase from benefits or no job to one that pays £20k+ a year isn't worth moving for?

None of the jobs I mentioned were minimum wage, neither did I say that moving is necessary to fill them, local people are unemployed here also, yet they still do not apply or take these jobs. So how do you suggest those jobs are filled?

No one can seem to answer that fundamental question..instead replying with Strawmen arguments.

A rented prop in Manchester is £500 quid a month some higher etc. Thats like 6000, a wage of 20k you lose 25-30% up front in tax etc... so after rent you're left with very little.

Move to London for a 5 k pay increase - how much better off are you net?

What are you talking about now?

Back
Top Bottom