• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8700K OcUK Stock and Binned Processors

Associate
Associate
Thanks!

From what was being said I was expecting to see pre-order bundles with the ROG Apex and 4ghz+ memory, I will wait I think.

That 5gbit ethernet appeals to me.... I could move all my steam games to my file server...

A few of us are waiting on the APEX to be released hence why it's been mentioned so much over a couple of threads. Hopefully 8 Pack will no more by the end of the week as I he mentioned there was a public holiday in Taiwan yesterday in one of these threads somewhere.

Associate
A few of us are waiting on the APEX to be released hence why it's been mentioned so much over a couple of threads. Hopefully 8 Pack will no more by the end of the week as I he mentioned there was a public holiday in Taiwan yesterday in one of these threads somewhere.

I've just realised the Apex is 2 DIMMs though and while I probably don't *need* 32GB I don't want to downgrade, and I don't think there are many 16GB 4000mhz+ dimms about!

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...4133mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-099-tg.html These look pretty! I don't suppose running 4 of these is going to be possible on many z370 boards though. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
It sure would! But I don't see that happening. I'll settle for 5.2! More realistically though, because I'm not delididng I am going to be happy with 4.7-5 on all cores.
4.7ghz gives me around 80c using 1.2v under heavy load. I'm going to be delidding mine this weekend hopefully.

To those that have delidded kaby/coffeelake did you guys use anything on these gold contacts under the IHS?

105egm1.jpg

I imagine getting liquid metal on these would be chip suicide?

Associate
4.7ghz gives me around 80c using 1.2v under heavy load. I'm going to be delidding mine this weekend hopefully.

To those that have delidded kaby/coffeelake did you guys use anything on these gold contacts under the IHS?

105egm1.jpg

You would have to make a right dugs dinner of the process to get liquid metal on those contacts. Applying the stuff was really easy, I sat and done it with Gamers Nexus guide on you tube. You are putting on a small blob and spreading. Prep the blob on a bit of kitchen roll to get the size you want, then you just put the tip of the syringe on the blob and it sticks to the end, move it over the chip, and ease it off with a cotton bud. It doesn't slide around, needs some work to paste it on and really easy not to go outside the edges. I guess the blob is under half the size of thermal past you would put on for the cooler.

I think you can put nail varnish on those contacts to protect them, but I didn't bother with that.

I also left the black glue on the cpu, remove the IHS glue, supposed to help as a guide to get the lid back on square which I can say it did help. I put a tiny dot of super glue on each corner to stop it sliding. Put it all back together and bobs you aunty, apart from the super glue all up my elbow when I leaned on the kitchen roll, rid raw from scrubbing scotchbrite on it, better than a skin graft!

Soldato
You would have to make a right dugs dinner of the process to get liquid metal on those contacts. Applying the stuff was really easy, I sat and done it with Gamers Nexus guide on you tube. You are putting on a small blob and spreading. Prep the blob on a bit of kitchen roll to get the size you want, then you just put the tip of the syringe on the blob and it sticks to the end, move it over the chip, and ease it off with a cotton bud. It doesn't slide around, needs some work to paste it on and really easy not to go outside the edges. I guess the blob is under half the size of thermal past you would put on for the cooler.

I think you can put nail varnish on those contacts to protect them, but I didn't bother with that.

I also left the black glue on the cpu, remove the IHS glue, supposed to help as a guide to get the lid back on square which I can say it did help. I put a tiny dot of super glue on each corner to stop it sliding. Put it all back together and bobs you aunty, apart from the super glue all up my elbow when I leaned on the kitchen roll, rid raw from scrubbing scotchbrite on it, better than a skin graft!

Thank you. I've never used liquid metal so no idea how easy it spreads. That was kind of my fear of having it spread when I put the lid back on and having it touch the contacts.
Did the glue not set before you knew the lid was in the correct position?

Soldato

105egm1.jpg

Yes I used clear nail varnish. costs very little and adds a few mins of time for peace of mind.

Associate
Mine has shipped now, so im a happy bunny, i need a new case though and was going to go for the h500p but my god its had some bad reviews regards quality for price (the top and front are dreadful and literally fall off), its really put me off of it and it isn't even available for a little while yet (out of stock all over)...only case i can think of getting that's got good water cooling options with a nice tg side panel is the phanteks evolve atx but that chokes the front fans from air intake and the top fans (exhaust) most of the air rebounds back off of the top and back into the case. I know phanteks do the same internal layout but with better air flow than the evolv in their pro m case but Ive had one of those before and although it's a great case design it feels and looks cheapy compared to the evolv. Anyone got any reccomendations for a case with decent watercooling options, tempered glass side panel and half decent air flow? 570x 460x ....what do you think?

Ps thanks to ocuk for the rapid sourcing and sending of the retail 8700k.

Associate
My order just shipped today and I was not expecting it so soon (i7 8700k), good job ocuk :)

I was prepared to wait until 1/11 as that seemed to be when competitors listed their stock landing.

Associate
Thank you. I've never used liquid metal so no idea how easy it spreads. That was kind of my fear of having it spread when I put the lid back on and having it touch the contacts.
Did the glue not set before you knew the lid was in the correct position?

I put tiny spots on, then lined up and got it dead on first time, so no idea if it would have popped off to realign. I also don’t know if the lid would move around while placing in to to socket without glue, I doubt it, maybe it would move if the old glue was remove from the chip side, If it doesn’t move i would be tempted not to bother with glue, the clamp does the job.

The liquid metal isn’t like mercury, rolling around willy nilly. If you are unsure, just practise on another metal object to get the hang of it.

The part I didn’t like was the removal tool, much more force than expected, lid didn’t slide, just went crack as the seal broke. Intel use good glue at least!

Soldato
I put tiny spots on, then lined up and got it dead on first time, so no idea if it would have popped off to realign. I also don’t know if the lid would move around while placing in to to socket without glue, I doubt it, maybe it would move if the old glue was remove from the chip side, If it doesn’t move i would be tempted not to bother with glue, the clamp does the job.

The liquid metal isn’t like mercury, rolling around willy nilly. If you are unsure, just practise on another metal object to get the hang of it.

The part I didn’t like was the removal tool, much more force than expected, lid didn’t slide, just went crack as the seal broke. Intel use good glue at least!

Think I'll just use the socket tbh.
What tool did you use to delid?

Associate
finally got email for parts being shipped :D, anyone know my z77 chipset board should just be a straight heatsync swap to z370? got a corsair h100 so im hoping i can throw it on until i get some more cash to get a new AIO

Back
Top Bottom