*** Alien: Covenant ***

Commissario
Presumably if it's a place they've been sent to colonise either there has been some sort of probe with instrumentation to test for dangerous things in the atmosphere, or the ship itself is equipped to do the main tests :)
Either that or a convenient (and common) sci-fi plot hole that has been seen in pretty much everything since the first "earthman goes to another planet" film/TV :)

I can't remember environmental suits being used in any of the aliens stuff (films, books, comics) except where the air was unbreathable.

Associate
I do wonder how big James Franco's part will be? I mean, we saw some of him in the "Last Supper" segment, but nothing in the trailers?

Unless I just missed it..

Soldato
Kinda wished this was prometheus 2 as the ending seemed like what happens next was gona be really cool with the woman going after the engineers iirc home planet to stop them.

Then again if this is decent and has a serious plot of alien in it then cool i just prey its rater r for blood and guts with what aliens should do when they attack. If its good then i hope theres a way they all die except for the lead and its one vs one with the alien at the end like in alien 1.

Soldato
Yep, looks like a combination of Prometheus and Alien.
Kinda wished this was prometheus 2 as the ending seemed like what happens next was gona be really cool with the woman going after the engineers iirc home planet to stop them.

Then again if this is decent and has a serious plot of alien in it then cool i just prey its rater r for blood and guts with what aliens should do when they attack. If its good then i hope theres a way they all die except for the lead and its one vs one with the alien at the end like in alien 1.

I was hoping they would follow on from events in Prometheus. Prometheus was disappointing and had plenty of faults, but the idea of going where the Engineers came from really intrigued me. The studio wanted a rewrite of what was an originally going to be two Alien films, in favour of something they could make a new separate series of films from. We get the shown who created the Xenomorph with the possibility of finding out more.

Scott mentioned some time ago about another 3 films being made after Prometheus, but as more details for Covenant emerged, it looked like they had abandoned the continuation of events from the end of Prometheus, in favour of giving us an Alien MKII story, with elements from Prometheus throw in.

At one point, I did think why the hell have they abandoned what was started in Prometheus. Sure they went about making that film all wrong. It could have been so much better, but among the mess there were some good ideas. No reason why Prometheus 2 couldn't be a far better film in the hands of a better writer and made to be Prometheus 2 from the word go, rather than a re-tool of a different film that Prometheus was. It is Hollywood though and it would typical to just chop and change something around, again.... but 2 pages back kiteloopy posted this:-

It could have been covered already, but I saw on the A:C facebook page that they are doing 'a starwars' with this movie, in regards to the order of future releases. The post had quite a lot of people 'liking' it but im not sure if its valid or not.

So the order would be:
Prometheus.
NEW Untiled movie A
NEW Untiled movie B
NEW Untiled movie C
Alien:Covenant
Alien

Any truth?

Hopefully there is some truth to that and they aren't just going to ignore what happened in Prometheus. Would be good to see the evolution of what we saw at the end of Prometheus to the Xenomorph that's in the Alien films.

Soldato
I do wonder how big James Franco's part will be? I mean, we saw some of him in the "Last Supper" segment, but nothing in the trailers?

Unless I just missed it..

It is odd, in the last supper trailer Captain Branson excuses himself from the party saying he's feeling unwell, and in another trailer Daniels (his wife/partner) addresses Billy Crudups' character as "Captain" - so either Branson meets an early fate or he stays onboard the main ship as possibly unfit to explore the planet and Crudup takes over as next in charge. This leaves the possibility of him being involved later in the movie if Daniels manages to get back to the orbiting Covenant, perhaps with an unwelcome stowaway :p

Soldato
1: Congratulations!!!:)

2: DO NOT LET YOUR MRS see this if the little one is overdue!!!! :eek::D

3:SURVIVE... brilliant!!! would give hope Daniels will make it to the sequel:cool::)

Cheers, hopefully the little on arrives on time on 4th May...Star Wars baby :D

Showed the missus the new trailer last night, she was really confused. Cue me ordering the Quadrilogy off amazon 2 minutes later on BR for a tenner. I know what we're watching this weekend.

Man of Honour
I saw the trailer for this at the cinema - iconic franchise but not sure how they can take it further without it watering down / padding out backstory that detracts from the first couple of firms.

Also I don't find the films particularly re-watchable and certainly not scary in the slightest. The first film is 5/5 until the chest exploding scene... it then drops to 3/5 IMO. Aliens is delightfully bombastic but very long on re-watches.

Associate
OP
Scream and you wont last long. :p

Really?? ... well the rest of the plan was...

1: Scream... whilst hiding behind opeth...

2: Running in the opposite direction to the Protomorph... pushing opeth toward said Protomorph to achieve escape velocity...:cool::o:D

...how could this possibly go wrong???:confused::D

Cheers, hopefully the little on arrives on time on 4th May...Star Wars baby :D

Showed the missus the new trailer last night, she was really confused. Cue me ordering the Quadrilogy off amazon 2 minutes later on BR for a tenner. I know what we're watching this weekend.

Sci-Fi weekend for the win!!:cool:

stumbled across this on imgur seemed appropriate if you want an Alien/ Star Wars mash up:
ppKNAwK.jpg

A StormoMorph:eek::D

Man of Honour
I'm a massive Alien fan, this also includes Prometeus as I thought it was superb..

Anyway, is it worth digging into the other material like the novels? If yes, where would I start?

If you like audiobooks I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the audio dramatisation Alien : Out of the Shadows. Its utterly fantastic, its like listening to an Alien film with brilliant acting and sfx. The story fills in what happens to Ripley between Alien and Aliens. The actress who plays Ripley sounds so much like Sigourney Weaver that I had to look her up to make sure it actually wasnt Weaver under a different name.

Thoroughly superb audio dramatisation. Make sure to get the audio dramatisation of it, not just the audiobook version.

Back
Top Bottom