• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

The power readings are interesting since it is for the Core i9 9900K at its default 95W TDP. So its like a 65W class Core i9 9900K. So that means clocks must be not that high IMHO.

So what happens when AMD has similar 95W TDP equivalents?? I think we now know why the 9900KF was released.
They showed it using 180w, and we all know that only the Asus Maximus Hero XI even allows the 9900K to run at 95w.
Its easy to check anyway. The 9900K cinebench scores have been around for a while. Check them, then see how this demoed figure compares.
FYI, stock 9900K means all 8c at 4.7GHz.

Associate
I wanted it to destroy the 9900k

Fact is

We have Rad 7 for £700 thats as fast as my 1080ti

and a Zen chip thats on par with a 9900k

Now either you AMD lot are all on crack but thats the facts...

No mention of what tier zen it was, no mention of clock speed

Well you summed that up perfectly i agree, also remember you wanting a chip to destory your 9900k but some unknown chip that is if i watched the stream correctly was a 8c/16t from amd, who knows, so we will find out in the future.

Caporegime
Where was it mentioned it wasn’t? They use 8 core chiplets and the die shown had one chiplet. The 2700 already scores not much less than the 9900k does it not plus it was drawing much less power than the 9900k.

Everything points to it being 8 core unless you know different.

she said it was an 8 core 16 thread part... SHE SAID THIS!!!

Associate
If it had been an midrange R5 cpu vs the 9900k it would have been mentioned. It'd be a massive PR result, the fact they didn't means it's more likely to be a directly comparable tier of cpu.

Price is the big factor. It could still be inline with Intel because it'll drop into their existing platform. They know they'll get sales from people upgrading who'll be happy with just having a cpu to buy vs that and a mb.

Maybe but at the same time it's in their best interest to keep it a secret that way intel won't know how many cores their R7 will have and won't be able to beat them on core count for their retaliation

Associate
How have i made that up? I am making assumptions ok thats fine to say, but i am using a bit of logic.

Your assuming AMD put there best Zen chip up against the 9900k (lets forget about the clocks at the moment).. an 8 core v 8 core.
But are those chiplets ... 8 core chiplets? if they are then in the 9900k demo it was configured the same as the chip lisa showed in her hand i would guess... 1 chiplet + IO

Its not a leap of faith to think that another ryzen 7 and ryzen 9 sku is coming with that space next to the IO die filled with another 8 core (or failed 6 core) chiplet is it?

i am not claiming this is 100% right but come on it does all line up somewhat.

Associate
Jesus Christ, just how hard can DG and easyrider cry about this? I've seen some desperate deflections in my time, but this is almost embarrassing.
It must be a hard feeling. Feeling like you are going to die in 6 months. 9900K 4,7ghz allcore losing to Engineering Sample without final clocks of Zen2 and having nothing to answer back before 2020. Not to mention the clear prospect of AMD slapping another 7nm cpu chip next to its brother...

Permabanned
lets just take cinebench scores to the gaming world where does that put these gaming chips ? honestly ? it puts them still behind 6 months down the road. cinebench great scores . gaming which 90 percent want them for is behind still !
Dry your eyes mate you’ve just came here to troll. Grow up!

was it? I watched the presentation....and no mention of the model

so again you have just made this up.

it was an 8 core 16 thread part.
You know that they are using chiplets of 8c, and you know that they have space for another chiplet. Whilst we can't yet know for certain that there will be 8c+ SKUs, it actually doesn't matter one iota whether this one is going to be a R5 or R7 by name; it just matched a 9900k with room for another chiplet.

Soldato
They showed it using 180w, and we all know that only the Asus Maximus Hero XI even allows the 9900K to run at 95w.
Its easy to check anyway. The 9900K cinebench scores have been around for a while. Check them, then see how this demoed figure compares.
FYI, stock 9900K means all 8c at 4.7GHz.

The CBscore is with MCE off,so its basically a best case scenario for power usage for the Intel chip. So now look at the power readings for the AMD chip. This looks like a 65W class AMD 8C chip. So AMD is matching Intel with probably lower clocks.

The leaks also hint at lower clocks for the 65W 8C part too.

Soldato
Look at the facts, AMD purposely left this vague but showed enough so that anyone with half an ounce of common sense knows what's coming.

Die shot of an unannounced Zen2 chip clearly showing io die Ind single chiplet but confirming it's 8c 16t. Everyone knows 1700 /2700 are same core count but 2 dies. Knowing the Zen1/+ Achillles heel being ccx crossing issues, showing off a single chip elimates this issue.

Showing this head to head with the competition flagship CPU, which was at stock but hitting it's boost clock, drawing more power.

AMDs chip was equalling or beating it at lower overall power at unannounced clocks, I doubt it was heavily OC'd as that would lead to potential stability issues, and would also show higher power draws.

She was basically saying "here's our same core chip at same performance but lower power".

But short of a sly wink showing off that chip pretty much confirms it's the mid range part, you don't place the chiplet where it is if your not adding more. And if it's a mid tier chip then it's basically a harvested chiplet...

This is all very telling... Zen2 is going to be a monster in its higher tier guises.

Soldato
I wanted it to destroy the 9900k

Fact is

We have Rad 7 for £700 thats as fast as my 1080ti

and a Zen chip thats on par with a 9900k

Now either you AMD lot are all on crack but thats the facts...

No mention of what tier zen it was, no mention of clock speed

I'm with you on this. People getting hyped for performance we already have.
When its faster we will have something to talk about. Until then AMD are still playing catch up.

Back
Top Bottom