• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

So hold on, a 2500K 4c/4t is fine, but a CPU that has 3x as many threads and is potentially faster than an 8700K at total cost just over than of said CPU or the 8c/8t 9700K? You don't think that if you get a £189 CPU, that the saved £110 won't buy you a faster CPU by the time your 6c/12t part is too slow and you'll have spent the same or less money in total?

Also the board I listed is a brand new X570 board, not an old one at £139, what extra is that £80 more going to get you? Also what RAM are you buying for £160 that is going to be over 100% faster than the same amount of RAM from a different brand at £65-75?

If you had bought an i7 2600K not a 2500K I think your argument would be more valid, but you went for the budget option then, what is wrong with it now?

Different times. Back in 2011 single threaded perf was king. 2500K was not a budget option... it was the 2nd best chip in the lineup, for gaming and single-thread performance.

And look how long that 2500K lasted.... years and years. In the last couple years it's been flagging a bit.

The fact is I don't expect a 6 core CPU to have the same longevity today. Game devs are increasingly able to use multiple cores. And the PS5 will dictate some of that. 8c/16t in the new consoles - and fast cores - will dictate that PC gamers will also need 8+ cores. Esp with Windows, AV on top.

I fully expect a 6-core PC CPU to deliver a sub-console standard performance within a couple years at most. It's not going to be the next 2500K imho.

Different times. Back in 2011 single threaded perf was king. 2500K was not a budget option... it was the 2nd best chip in the lineup, for gaming and single-thread performance.

And look how long that 2500K lasted.... years and years. In the last couple years it's been flagging a bit.

The fact is I don't expect a 6 core CPU to have the same longevity today. Game devs are increasingly able to use multiple cores. And the PS5 will dictate some of that. 8c/16t in the new consoles - and fast cores - will dictate that PC gamers will also need 8+ cores. Esp with Windows, AV on top.

I fully expect a 6-core PC CPU to deliver a sub-console standard performance within a couple years at most. It's not going to be the next 2500K imho.

Which I understand, and partially agree - yet none of us can predict the future only guess. What we can say for certain which you did not address, is that a £189 6c/12t CPU (R5 3600) is going to perform almost as well or even on par with an 8c/16t CPU in the present day, and potentially for two or maybe three years. We can also agree that spending less now means you saved money, and that those more expensive CPU's that you 'need' will be come entry level and much cheaper, and much in the same way many 2500K users have in recent years upgraded to 2600K or 3770K's to extend the life of the system while not spending as much as getting the I7 at the start of its life.

So if you are saying you 'have to' spend £700, that isn't true, you can spend £700 but will it be good value or could you do better by thinking ahead and maybe holding off and trading up in two or three years and having an even better than you expected, e.g you could end up with a 3900X for £150 in 2021-2022, as by then 16c/32t CPU's will be mainstream.. yada yada yada.. :)

As for the gaming and PS5 or Xbox2 theory, it takes devs years to take advantage of the power of a new console, yes years, not months or weeks. So around November 2020 when the new console finally come out you'll be getting games that take full advantage of them by 2022-2023.

At least on AM4 even if you go 6c now you know 16c will be an option years down the line.

This isn't certain. For now, we have no confirmation that a 16-core part will be launched as part of the 3000 series, and with Zen 3 the development can go in another direction, 8-cores with 4-threads each, resulting in 32-thread. But we will see.

Manufacturer, Tier, VRM cooling, VRM power delivery...
Might not support the demands 16c needs to operate (power, vrms, temps)

So are you assuming that AMD are only going to release a CPU that is over 105w for 16c? Pretty much any board you can buy with AM4 that is B350 or above will support a 105w CPU, the only limiting factor will be the BIOS support later down the line.

Which boards are you keen on?

Asus, but my latest MSI B450 pro Carbon is a great mobo for the cost...

I bought an Asrock with my 9900k and sent it back as it wouldn’t overclock, got the ASUS Hero and got 5ghz all cores in minutes...after I ditched 9900k to go have a play with Ryzen I bought an MSI as not had one for years and it shipped with a decent VRM and cooling for the money....well impressed with it...overclocks great and has been rock solid. :)

It supports 16c too...:)

Back
Top Bottom