** Apple Media Event - March 7th **

Soldato
Ok so I'm thinking Black over White. Size I'm still unsure about - 16 or 32GB?
A 1080p movie is going to be at least 6GB in size. Formatted capacity after iPad system stuff on a 16GB device is a shade over 11GB.

You may as well pay the extra £80 for a further 16GB. This extra 16GB is 'worth' an extra £50 on recycling websites (ie O2 recycle), and your device will be more in demand if you come to sell it come upgrade time.

Gee

Gee

Soldato
A 1080p movie is going to be at least 6GB in size. Formatted capacity after iPad system stuff on a 16GB device is a shade over 11GB.

You may as well pay the extra £80 for a further 16GB. This extra 16GB is 'worth' an extra £50 on recycling websites (ie O2 recycle), and your device will be more in demand if you come to sell it come upgrade time.

Just the answer I was looking for, thank you!

Will be placing an order after I finish work :D

Permabanned
yeah apps are going to be larger and 1080P video is going to be huge, so 16gb users are going to be squeezed, remember you probably on get 12gb of that 16 anyway due to IOS

Soldato
16gb wifi + 4g here for me :D

Don't really put actual films on my current ipad (If I watch a film on it I stream it), jus use the apps, so 16gb is plenty, I also looked at what I freqently use on my iphone and 16gb is plenty for that as well.

Mainly used for apps, and ibooks, and net browsing, so 16gb will be enough I think :)

Upgrading from ipad 1, so should be a good jump.

Soldato
A bit off topic, but does anyone else find iPhoto to run slowly? Seems they've intentionally scuppered it to make it seem as though you need a "new iPad" to run it properly?

Soldato
Put all your media on a NAS or the cloud and stream it. If you need local, I'm sure 16gb is enough. I mean once you have seen a film once you take it off and put another one on.

I'm impressed at how many they have managed to produce. The foxconn planet has been obviously running 24/7 for a few months. They are STILL in stock for 16th March delivery.

Last edited:
Soldato
Please tell me none of you who own an iPad 2 have bought an iPad 3 without selling the 2 first or plan to sell it later? Why would one person need 2 iPads?

Personally I've yet to see any reason for an iPad 2 owner to upgrade - if this is all that's on offer then I will happily stick with my iPad 2 for years to come. I mean, higher res screen and HD, is that it? I don't watch material on my TV in HD even though I have a Sky HD box so nothing to interest me on the iPad 3 I'm afraid. What alarms me is how many people swallow the hype.

Man of Honour
Personally I've yet to see any reason for an iPad 2 owner to upgrade - if this is all that's on offer then I will happily stick with my iPad 2 for years to come. I mean, higher res screen and HD, is that it? I don't watch material on my TV in HD even though I have a Sky HD box so nothing to interest me on the iPad 3 I'm afraid. What alarms me is how many people swallow the hype.

Totally, right? I mean what are people thinking... a vastly better screen on a device that is all about the screen... pfft, madness!

Caporegime
Personally I've yet to see any reason for an iPad 2 owner to upgrade - if this is all that's on offer then I will happily stick with my iPad 2 for years to come.

You won't be if some people on here are having slow down on an ipad 1 after 2 years. It doesn't look like they will allow the life of them to last you "years to come". :D

Soldato
16GB Black (WiFi Only) for me :) Going to be used around the house mainly so no need for much local storage. I found I wasted the additional space on my 32GB so I'm taking a downgrade this time round and saving 80 quid in the process.

Soldato
You won't be if some people on here are having slow down on an ipad 1 after 2 years. It doesn't look like they will allow the life of them to last you "years to come". :D

Not just one person though at least one other person on here, 3 at work. Soon as you open more than one tab it starts slowing down and stops been snappy. Which in my opinion is what a tablet is all about speed and convience

Soldato
Personally I've yet to see any reason for an iPad 2 owner to upgrade - if this is all that's on offer then I will happily stick with my iPad 2 for years to come. I mean, higher res screen and HD, is that it? I don't watch material on my TV in HD even though I have a Sky HD box so nothing to interest me on the iPad 3 I'm afraid.
What were you expecting? Bells and whistles? A coffee maker? Wheels? More buttons? A hard keyboard? Ie anything that would make the iPad a piece of crap? :rolleyes:

It's a vastly improved screen on a screen-centred device (duh), with a significant hardware bump to a personal computer (duh).

Soldato
You sure about that?

Anyway if your going to keep lots of video media locally on your iPad I'd get a 64GB one. That way you won't be worrying about space.

Lol I got the 64GB iPad 2 and managed to fill it with videos easily, considering every episode of South Park, Family Guy, The Big Bang Theory, Batman The Animated Series, not to mention Iron Man, Hulk, Fantastic Four and The Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heros is well over 100GB

It's difficult to decide what to fill it with considering I've got a 7 hour flight to America in April lol

Roll on the 160GB iPad

Back
Top Bottom