** Apple Media Event - March 7th **

It's a fair point really, iPad 1 was good but still flawed in a number of significant ways which iPad 2 managed to address all of them and make a very, very good product, in the same way that iPhone 1, 2, 3 etc was equally flawed then the iPhone 4 came along, improved just about everything and made a very, very good product.

It's not a 'diss' on the iPad 3, if anything the 'lack of innovation' of the 4S and iPad3 are just down to how ridiculously good the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 were (and still are) - the most impressive thing to me about the iPad 3 is presumably the number of iPhone 4 and 4S that have been sold and resulting investment have resulted in the screen fabrication process being enhanced to a level where they can now expand the 2+ year old tech from the iPhone 4 to the size of the iPad at decent enough yields to make the new iPad affordable.

*edit*

Tell a lie, I'm also very impressed with how they've managed to double the capacity of the battery in the same physical dimensions give or take, that's some sweet tech too which will be awesome when it starts trickling down into other devices :cool:

Apple stuff is all about the ecosystem/integration into your life now, and they wouldn't want to alienate a large % of users by changing too much in one go and making a load of things exclusive to the newest product. The reason they have such huge brand loyalty is because they know how to keep customer satisfaction super high. Also unlike phones, which are mostly sold on contract and get updated every 18-24months, you get the impression, like the Macs, and iPods, that people won't be upgrading as quickly with this (although probably not quite as slowly as the after mentioned lines), it's more an investment. It's not like Apple are the only company that do this, everyone does it (except with poorer legacy support lulz), and although I don't really count the days, ASUS and Samsung seem to churn out new product revisions waaaay more quickly. At least with Apple you have a fairly consistent schedule.

The iPod is no longer wow, the iPhone is no longer wow and the next one won't be either, the iPad is starting to lose it's wow. Macs have lost their wow ages ago. Once you've created a product that's got a very defined role/use, unless you change it radically and it becomes almost something else, then you're just improving on it and keeping it up to date, it isn't 'woah' any more. Not a bad thing, people still buy it because they know it's good and they know what it is.

I'm sure Apple understand that completely: while everyone is jumping on the ultrabook and tablet wagon, I'd wager their biggest creative types have their teeth sunk firmly into new product lines, obviously the proper Apple TV being one - and that is definitely something people won't be changing every year (unless you're very rich and slightly mental) - which is where the next 'wow' will come from.

Also humans, short attention spans etc. And yes, when you're held to high standards like Apple you want 'wow' all the time when it's not realistic.

Apple stuff is all about the ecosystem/integration into your life now, and they wouldn't want to alienate a large % of users by changing too much in one go and making a load of things exclusive to the newest product. The reason they have such huge brand loyalty is because they know how to keep customer satisfaction super high. Also unlike phones, which are mostly sold on contract and get updated every 18-24months, you get the impression, like the Macs, and iPods, that people won't be upgrading as quickly with this (although probably not quite as slowly as the after mentioned lines), it's more an investment. It's not like Apple are the only company that do this, everyone does it (except with poorer legacy support lulz), and although I don't really count the days, ASUS and Samsung seem to churn out new product revisions waaaay more quickly. At least with Apple you have a fairly consistent schedule.

The iPod is no longer wow, the iPhone is no longer wow and the next one won't be either, the iPad is starting to lose it's wow. Macs have lost their wow ages ago. Once you've created a product that's got a very defined role/use, unless you change it radically and it becomes almost something else, then you're just improving on it and keeping it up to date, it isn't 'woah' any more. Not a bad thing, people still buy it because they know it's good and they know what it is.

I'm sure Apple understand that completely: while everyone is jumping on the ultrabook and tablet wagon, I'd wager their biggest creative types have their teeth sunk firmly into new product lines, obviously the proper Apple TV being one - and that is definitely something people won't be changing every year (unless you're very rich and slightly mental) - which is where the next 'wow' will come from.

Also humans, short attention spans etc. And yes, when you're held to high standards like Apple you want 'wow' all the time when it's not realistic.

Speaking for myself I still find the "wow" factor with Mac Desktops but certainly far less so with tablets. To me my iPad is simply a taster of what my iMac is really all about and as such a far less satisfying experience than it's larger sibling. I much prefer sitting in front of a "proper" computer than surfing on the sofa with a much smaller screen. I have absolutely no need for a mobile solution and probably never will have which is why I have no interest in so called smartphones either.

Speaking for myself I still find the "wow" factor with Mac Desktops but certainly far less so with tablets. To me my iPad is simply a taster of what my iMac is really all about and as such a far less satisfying experience than it's larger sibling. I much prefer sitting in front of a "proper" computer than surfing on the sofa with a much smaller screen. I have absolutely no need for a mobile solution and probably never will have which is why I have no interest in so called smartphones either.

So you never leave the house and sit at your desk 24/7?

The article was simply pointing to analysts veiws, why can't you read the written word? :rolleyes:

The three analysts they name were all positive. The negative paragraph is how some expressed disappointment at some rumours not panning out. If your pointing out analyst views there is no one who is disappointed with the device itself.

So you never leave the house and sit at your desk 24/7?

Of course I do, I do lots of hill walking and all sorts of activities. I don't however have any need or desire to consume media on the move. I have also found from using computers since the early 1990's I have never had an email that was urgent enough it wouldn't wait until I got home. I don't even take a mobile phone on holiday but do take lots of books. I may at some point buy a Kindle (the e-ink variety) but that is all the technology I would want whilst away. It's amazing how therapeutic being away from technology and making your own amusements for a couple of weeks can be.

The three analysts they name were all positive. The negative paragraph is how some expressed disappointment at some rumours not panning out. If your pointing out analyst views there is no one who is disappointed with the device itself.

Could be me but I don't read these as being particularly bullish and positive -

Analysts at Gartner said they expected Apple to maintain its lead and increase the volume of tablets sold - but added that the launch did not contain any news to cause them to increase their "bullish" forecasts.

"I'd call the new iPad an evolutionary device with some revolutionary experiences," said research director Michael Gartenberg.

Others expressed disappointment following the news noting that the new device's display did not include haptic touch-feedback technology or access to the iPhone 4S' voice-controlled Siri "intelligent assistant" as rumoured.

I have to read a lot of financial reports as part of my job - it's often what's not said rather than what is. I'm not saying the reports are bad but they are not likely to create a further surge in sales either. That's what stock analysts are looking for.

Last edited:
The IPad 3 certainly looks good, but it's another iPhone 4S from Apple. A few tweaks and nothing more. I really don't see why there's so much fuss around it.

Could be me but I don't read these as being particularly bullish and positive -

You do understand the meaning of bullish right? Gartner created a bullish forecast sales figures for the iPad 3 before the announcement. Post announcement they decided not to increase that forecast further. That does not mean they are disappointed just that they are happy with their existing forecast.

It is fine that you don't want to upgrade your iPad 2 but in this thread you seem to be going out of your way to find reasons to dislike the iPad.

You do understand the meaning of bullish right? Gartner created a bullish forecast sales figures for the iPad 3 before the announcement. Post announcement they decided not to increase that forecast further. That does not mean they are disappointed just that they are happy with their existing forecast.

It is fine that you don't want to upgrade your iPad 2 but in this thread you seem to be going out of your way to find reasons to dislike the iPad.

No I'm not I'm simply saying there's little to interest me with this upgrade. I genuinely find nothing at all wrong with iPad 2 screen no matter how close I put it to my face. There again if you look back a few posts you will see my limited useage for the device. I don't even watch HD on my plasma t.v. despite the fact I have a Sky HD box. From twelve feet away SD looks more than good to my ageing eyes. :D

No I'm not I'm simply saying there's little to interest me with this upgrade. I genuinely find nothing at all wrong with iPad 2 screen no matter how close I put it to my face. There again if you look back a few posts you will see my limited useage for the device. I don't even watch HD on my plasma t.v. despite the fact I have a Sky HD box. From twelve feet away SD looks more than good to my ageing eyes. :D

There isn't anything wrong with the iPad 2 screen but the new iPad on paper has a better screen (I can't confirm until I see it) and for some it is worth the upgrade.

All the upgrades are going to be like this from now on... i am not sure what people were expecting with the ipad 3... i think upgrading the screen is the single most important upgrade they could have done, as the device is essentially a large hand held screen... all the other improvements they can make are now software based... and the usual increase in horse power every year.

The IPad 3 certainly looks good, but it's another iPhone 4S from Apple. A few tweaks and nothing more. I really don't see why there's so much fuss around it.

I suggest you go and educate yourself. Look at the comparison chart on apple.com between the ipad 2 and 3. Then come back and tell me if you still think it's just a few tweaks.

There isn't anything wrong with the iPad 2 screen but the new iPad on paper has a better screen (I can't confirm until I see it) and for some it is worth the upgrade.

Which is fine, especially if you don't yet own an iPad. However a number of posters are posting almost hysterical posts about New iPad (daft rebranding) and its screen. I mean come on its just a computer for goodness sake not the second coming. :D

Back
Top Bottom