Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Soldato
Great talk! I'm starting to see why I like this game so much. The focus on a sense of awe & inspiration from JW Godward & JW Waterhouse are dreams come true. Only really missing a bit of Gustave Moreau but I sense his presence even if it wasn't mentioned.

Caporegime
Having now played both the mythology games, what are you thoughts if any that AC Odyssey does worse than Origins? I can't think of many things but I think the resource gathering system is better in Origins.

Soldato
Having now played both the mythology games, what are you thoughts if any that AC Odyssey does worse than Origins? I can't think of many things but I think the resource gathering system is better in Origins.

There is no weight to combat in Odyssey. It is too arcadey. Same with movement. To me, animations for everything seem too fast

Soldato

I think it's just a matter of taste ultimately. I enjoy the grandeur of Origins a lot more than the more provincial Odyssey, but at the same time the gameplay loop is tight for Odyssey while it's very simple in Origins & therefore more forgettable. The systems in Odyssey actually have a point and keep me engaged in using & developing them while for Origins at least 2/3rds of them were pointless. I also enjoy the graphical step up of Origins over Odyssey, it's just more crisp & detailed, with better LOD & draw distances. Another slight deficit for Odyssey is that it's sometime too contemporaneous in the narrative & characters, which throws me off a bit because it's a lot more obvious than in Origins and frankly I find the forced nature of it distasteful. It's just gender quotas gone wrong, instead of following Witcher 3's lead where the characters feel very much as belonging to that world & time period, often times in Odyssey you feel like you're seeing 2019 people LARPing. Not the worst Ubisoft has done, but not the best either. It's a minus either way, but not a big one. It's a fine line to tread though, and could easily have tipped over (like what happened with New Dawn, or for Bioware with DA:Inq, ME: Andromeda, etc.)

I'm still slightly biased towards Origins but truth is, they're both fantastic games and are definitely under my best games of all time list. I remember day dreaming years ago when I was playing Age of Mythology & the like obsessively about just such games and today I can actually play them, it's truly a dream come true.

I wouldn't want to pick one over the other, and I'm glad I don't have to!

Soldato
I may have to get Origins as I thoroughly enjoyed Odyssey. Like way more than I ever thought I would. Going to get the DLC and return to it soon. Over a hundred hours and I didn't even go to some islands.

Does Origin have the same sort of RPG nature to it and is the dialogue the same as Odyssey? I really enjoyed those changes over Syndicate which was the last I played prior to getting Odyssey

Soldato
I may have to get Origins as I thoroughly enjoyed Odyssey. Like way more than I ever thought I would. Going to get the DLC and return to it soon. Over a hundred hours and I didn't even go to some islands.

Does Origin have the same sort of RPG nature to it and is the dialogue the same as Odyssey? I really enjoyed those changes over Syndicate which was the last I played prior to getting Odyssey

Origins is more linear and less "RPG"ey then odyssey. Still do get some dialogue options but not quiet as open as Odyssey.

Also upgrading is entirely different. No perks in origins, you upgrade your parts (similar to a ship) but it means your sword arm can be upgraded as much as hidden blade so you can get powerful in every aspect really, armour is also aesthetic only.

Soldato
Have you got this the wrong way round? Origins has better graphics over Odyssey?

Yes, Origins has the better graphics detail. I'll take some screenshots and update.

Here (both 4K max without clouds, but irrelevant here, and highest AA): Look at the top left corner of the hill in this photo, you can very clearly see a flattened texture almost smeared, kinda like pastel. This is evident throughout the game as you play it.

Now compare it to how well the detail is preserved in Origins here and how much further the distance is before it starts being degraded in the same manner (centre right, hills behind the houses). Or here. And here.

Believe me, in-game, the crispness of Origins is way beyond Odyssey. I think they also used a softer AA for Odyssey as well, but it's also a difference in LOD & draw distances, as well as other issues which I won't bore you with. Suffices to say, Odyssey is a step below Origins in that regard. There's simply a cohesiveness in graphical detail well preserved in Origins as it changes in the distance and it looks almost seamless, which makes it a much better looking game. In Odyssey you have areas of the screen which look fantastic right next to areas which look like p00p and that detracts from the experience. The differences are too big and obvious.

Last edited:
Soldato
Origins looks better to me as well. Cleaner, better day/night cycle, draw distance as mentioned, effects, overall more detail and less repetition of assets.
The setting also makes a difference as the deserts with heat haze, sunsets and sandstorms are mighty impressive graphically.

Not saying Odyssey doesn't look very good of course.

Soldato
Comparing launch versions, they're both very close. But they both got downgraded through patches, and while Origins got some of its launch splendor back Odyssey is still very downgraded.

Not much we can do about that sadly because Ubisoft doesn't give a damn & we can't mod it.

Caporegime
Having finished Origins to my satisfaction (not total completion) I had a quick look at the Discovery Tour. Absolutely fascinating especially the bits on hieroglyphics and pyramids. Ubisoft have knocked the ball out of the park with these AC reboots. It seems there is a Tour coming for Odyssey but there is no word on when it's going to be available.

Back
Top Bottom