Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Soldato
Okay will look into getting the origin dlc later on.

Just bought Odyssey gold off GMG never used them before so they sent me a 15% off code which brought the gold edition down to £28 that's a bargain.

Will make a start on it once I've finished my three kingdoms campaign and finished AC origins..will let you guys know what I think of it in 6 months haha.

Last edited:
Soldato
Decided to replay Origins and this time I think I'll grab the Season Pass as it's cheap.

It wasn't my imagination back then, the game feels significantly better than Odyssey. Better animations, more detail, more intersting setting, music and a lot less copy&paste, unique tombs etc. It's just a better designed world overall, one of the best in recent years IMO.

Egypt just can't be beat, I enjoyed Odyssey but I won't miss naval battles and half the map being water and all the samey tombs/locations just to make the game bigger than it needed to be.
Origins is simpler but it still feels better, even the combat (weightier) and it's just more AC.

Soldato
Is the combat somewhat similar or Odyssey? I really liked the combat in that compared to the last game I played which was Syndicate.

Annoyed I bought Odyssey on Steam. The season pass never gets a discount

Soldato
Is the combat somewhat similar or Odyssey? I really liked the combat in that compared to the last game I played which was Syndicate.

Annoyed I bought Odyssey on Steam. The season pass never gets a discount

The combat does feel largely similar yes. Was a definite change with Origins from prior games like syndicate, Odyssey is definitely a refinement of Origin, which is a good thing as playing the old games, combat feels so clunky now :o

With that said, there is some differences. With Origin, costumes are all cosmetic. you upgrade all your components at a base level, so in a way you are powerful in all the areas as with enough levelling you can get perks in all areas and as your base power is upgraded can excel in all areas. With Odyssey costumes are not just cosmetic, they add to your bonus's.

Caporegime
Decided to replay Origins and this time I think I'll grab the Season Pass as it's cheap.

It wasn't my imagination back then, the game feels significantly better than Odyssey. Better animations, more detail, more intersting setting, music and a lot less copy&paste, unique tombs etc. It's just a better designed world overall, one of the best in recent years IMO.

Egypt just can't be beat, I enjoyed Odyssey but I won't miss naval battles and half the map being water and all the samey tombs/locations just to make the game bigger than it needed to be.
Origins is simpler but it still feels better, even the combat (weightier) and it's just more AC.

+1

Been saying that since the beginning.

Origins is just simply a better game all round imo.

Man of Honour
It would be awesome if one day they could link them together, how cool it would be to ride across the desert to Alexandria, then sail from Alexandria to Athens etc. I can dream.

Soldato
Origins slightly better setting(but Greece is still great). Better combat imo. Better animations, and less arcadey feel. Almost everything else I'd give to Odyssey though. Both games are really well paced.

Overall I'd say Odyssey is a better game, but they are both great.

Soldato
I wouldn't even give story to Odyssey, TBH. Bayek is a more enjoyable character and the game itself dives deeper into mythology. None of AC stories are actually good of course but the one in Origins is more compact, sensible, flows better and is actually connected with the Assassins. The stuff Pighardia listed like setting, combat, animations is kinda the meat of the game so it's hard to treat Odyssey as the better title.

Odyssey has individual armor pieces, naval combat, dialogue choices and lots of skills, I can give it that. Greece is also a great setting but Origins is more mysterious and visually appealing. The biggest deal, though, is the fact the world is just better planned and less repetitive. There's more stuff going around, more detail and less "I think I've been here before". Having this big lump of land instead of islands makes me feel like I'm actually traversing a part of a continent and the deserts with all the fatamorganas, sandstorms and pyramids are really beautiful. It's still massive but not as bloated with identical stuff like Odyssey.

EDIT: I also think Origins has a better/more interesting mission structure? I might me wrong on that as Odyssey left my mind a bit blank, I can't really remember that much about it, though that might be the proof itself:D

Last edited:
Soldato
It's funny how opinions change.

I enjoyed origins, but love Odyssey. I spent about 7 years living on Skyros as a child,s bedtime stories were often Greek myths so the world just feels more relevant.

It's a great game.

Man of Honour
They are both amazing games, both with truly awesome gameworlds. So much so in fact that AC:Origins was my joint game of that year (shared with Divinity Original Sin 2) and AC:Odyssey was my game of the year for that year. I know that when the two games came out many AC fans bemoaned that they werent really AC and that the franchise was dead now because of it, but the franchise had become very stale, it needed a change and I think the change they have opted for has resulted in 2 of the best games I've played in recent years. I am absolutely hyped like mad now for the 3rd game in the sequence next year.

Associate
This game is such a time sink!

I'm around 30 hours in and a lot of the world is still yet to explore - there are so many things to do as well, in terms of story/mission arcs, it's great :D

Soldato
Nothing to regret, it's a good game, Origins is just a notch above for various reasons I find important. I liked Odyssey from the beginning but felt it's not as magical or polished as Origins and my replay confirmed it for me.

Caporegime
I still prefer Odyssey to Origins because I really do not like the woman character, Aya, in Origins. She got on my nerves from the very start. And the mythology bits were just so atmospheric.

Soldato
Yup, really digging this replay now. Just got the Season Pass which was -60% and traded 100 points for a -20% code on top of that. Great deal.

RDR2 and Origins are my two favourite open worlds this gen definitely.

Man of Honour
OP
Looking back, Origins was more interesting to me in terms of the world and environment, largely because of ancient Egypt and also the world feeling more alive. Much preferred the great RPG elements of Odyssey though and it is also a much bigger adventure. I hope they combine the best bits of each in the next title.

Soldato
I recently caved and bought the Odyssey Season Pass but that was because I enjoyed the game so much. 120 hours into it and I'm still loving just going around the map.

Once I've finished the DLC I guess I owe it to myself to try Origins.

Soldato
Looking back, Origins was more interesting to me in terms of the world and environment, largely because of ancient Egypt and also the world feeling more alive. Much preferred the great RPG elements of Odyssey though and it is also a much bigger adventure. I hope they combine the best bits of each in the next title.

I like the world in Odyssey and it's still beautiful but I'd say the game actually suffers for trying to be that bigger adventure. There were so many reused assets that it took all the magic away. Origins is more mysterious and a lot better planned map-wise as there are just enough unique and varied places to explore. Compare, for example, the pyramids with those rather pathetic tombs, caves and endless copy&paste camps in Odyssey. They went completely overboard with the amount of stuff versus its quality. Even the cities are pretty meh compared to the fewer but really distinct cities in Origins. Or the Phylakitai, who were limited and actually challenging but in Odyssey that turned into endless waves of easy mercenaries.

I also missed the assassinations and those atmospheric cutscenes after.

There's definitely stuff Odyssey does better, like armor stats, dialogues etc. but the core elements like world design, animations, mythology and combat all feel better realised in Origins.

I really hope the next game won't sacrifice variety and quality of content for size.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm only about 4 hours in, initially, I wasn't a fan but started to get into it, then ship combat, good fun but now I'm having to destabilise local areas and having done some reading it looks like this game is all about the Apple and not really about the assassins? :S

Back
Top Bottom