Game is well worth the £26 I paid :cool:

Told you so :p

Using DLSS performance with 1.78x scale here and it looks noticeably better than even DLSS ultra and quality @ 3440x1440, performance is maybe about 4-5 fps less but still 60+ fps in the intense scenes so all good.

DLDSR like DLSS has become a must have feature for me now.

Funny how it goes. I was saying that way before Digital Foundry. Mrk's response was can't be asked with the extra click to enable DLDSR or even worse claiming there is no difference.

Now Digital Foundry post it and suddenly it becomes the best thing since sliced bread :p:cry:

Suffering memory loss @TNA? :D I said I couldn't be bummed to click every time on games that didn't have a proper fullscreen presentation setting in the menus, so you'd have to change desktop res to DLDSR before loading the game every time. Avatar thankfully has a fullscreen option so can select DLDSR and it remembers it on next load. Also, some games have fullscreen, but forget the DSR res so you then need to change it in0-game each load which is equally as annoying so I just stick to native 3440x1440 for those :p

Cyberpunk is the only exception I leave on native 3440 because with path tracing the input latency is noticeable and I much prefer that side of things to be near instant in response as I do not wish to sacrifice on not using path tracing etc.

I've been using DLDSR for ages anyways :cry:

Plus it looks amazing in Cyberpunk at native and highly detailed so it's a non-issue.

@mrk what monitor do you have? Should get this free when I upgrade over Christmas (hopefully), just can't fully decide what monitor to get. Looking forward to trying this though.
Alienware AW3423DW :cool:

I wouldn't say it's low res, 3440x1440 is still a decent res. Some game engines work better at higher res as you combine DLDSR with DLSS so the internal render res has more to work with in those engines resulting in improved detailing, whereas other engines it makes no difference so on a capable GPU it's a nice way to take away any CPU limitations and dish it all to the GPU whilst at the same time benefitting from the denser pixel count being output on a smaller native res monitor etc.

That's the exact same I've been looking at :D

Is there a difference between the DW & DWF models?
DWF is FreeSync Premium pro DW is Gsync Ultimate. Now that you can upgrade the firmware on the DW, there's not much reason to go for the DWF if you can find a well priced DW still. Looks like Dell USA still sell the DW, as do Amazon UK, although the price is a shade over £1k lol, many of us got it for £850 back at launch!

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it's low res, 3440x1440 is still a decent res. Some game engines work better at higher res as you combine DLDSR with DLSS so the internal render res has more to work with in those engines resulting in improved detailing, whereas other engines it makes no difference so on a capable GPU it's a nice way to take away any CPU limitations and dish it all to the GPU whilst at the same time benefitting from the denser pixel count being output on a smaller native res monitor etc.

DWF is FreeSync Premium pro DW is Gsync Ultimate. Now that you can upgrade the firmware on the DW, there's not much reason to go for the DWF if you can find a well priced DW still. Looks like Dell USA still sell the DW, as do Amazon UK, although the price is a shade over £1k lol, many of us got it for £850 back at launch!

Is that Samsung G8 exactly the same just more expensive? Also looks like MSI do one too.

Last edited:
Samsung, Asus, MSI etc they all have QD-OLEDs in their model line now, others are coming too. Some are 240Hz, there are gonna be 360Hz ones too next year if I recall.

The G8 (G85SB) is QD-OLED too, it's the one with the metal stand/casing, otherwise it's on the same panel level as the DWF but with a few extra connectivity features and stuff.

@mrk yeah it's decent, I was just surprised at how much of an upgrade in visuals 4k was. Then again when I saw how many more pixels it was % wise it wasn't really a surprise any more. Text clarity was the biggest issue, the rest of it was great. Just happens that 42" is perfect for my setup and also I had that nagging feeling I wasn't getting the most out of my GPU.

Last edited:
If you're on Windows then BetterCleartypeTuner utility sorts the text fringe on QD-OLED issue out. There is no solution for Linux/MacOS it seems but sod those OSes :p

If you're on Windows then BetterCleartypeTuner utility sorts the text fringe on QD-OLED issue out. There is no solution for Linux/MacOS it seems but sod those OSes :p

I tried it but still wasn't acceptable to me, plus was a lot of faffing trying to find an optimal solution. Ultimately you could mitigate it a little bit, but it is just inherent with that design of sub pixel layout. I would say I look forward to seeing how it improves in future, but I can't see any reason why I'm going to need to change my monitor unless it breaks of course.
I quite liked the ultra-wide but there was a few games it didn't work on. Plus I can mimic it with my current screen as long as I'm happy with black bars above and below lol.
Anyway, I'll stop derailing now. Maybe point wilko to the thread in monitors where he can read up on it.

I found the tool to essentially completely fix the text fringe really, as long as RGB contrast value 2200 was set. It's only a set once and forget task too:

7WmrpHl.gif

(the camera is more sensitive than the human eye here though)

Here's the thread on the QD-OLED @Wilko_Dog

Last edited:
Suffering memory loss @TNA? :D I said I couldn't be bummed to click every time on games that didn't have a proper fullscreen presentation setting in the menus, so you'd have to change desktop res to DLDSR before loading the game every time. Avatar thankfully has a fullscreen option so can select DLDSR and it remembers it on next load. Also, some games have fullscreen, but forget the DSR res so you then need to change it in0-game each load which is equally as annoying so I just stick to native 3440x1440 for those :p

Cyberpunk is the only exception I leave on native 3440 because with path tracing the input latency is noticeable and I much prefer that side of things to be near instant in response as I do not wish to sacrifice on not using path tracing etc.

I've been using DLDSR for ages anyways :cry:

Plus it looks amazing in Cyberpunk at native and highly detailed so it's a non-issue.

Alienware AW3423DW :cool:

Lol. Not me. Well, sometimes... :cry:

But still. How can you leave such image quality improvement on the table for the sake of a click or two? ;)

Last edited:
Anyone else got anything like this in Event Viewer?

Faulting application name: afop.exe, version: 1.0.0.5, time stamp: 0x6578d711
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22621.2506, time stamp: 0xbced4b82
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000002169d
Faulting process ID: 0x0x45DC
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DA2F945E9999E2
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\AFOP\afop.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report ID: 2615127a-9f04-4fd1-b36d-e896c299ee4d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Twice now, the game has randomly started stuttering and frame dropping requiring a full system reset. Found the above :/

Yes my windows reliability history has lots of entries for each run of the game, the game has never crashed though, just the log entries seem to indicate it has when as far as I know, it hasn't, since I have been playing the game lol.

Faulting application name: afop_plus.exe, version: 1.0.0.4, time stamp: 0x656a16a4
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22621.2506, time stamp: 0xbced4b82
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000002169d
Faulting process ID: 0x0x34D0
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DA2AFC3256D384
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\AFOP\afop_plus.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report ID: bdb571f0-c22e-41ba-8407-f1638f5a9620
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Not played since the patch though so will see if it returns later this evening with more log entries.

Yeah mine hasn't crashed but that log entry is suspect.

I figured out the cause of my stuttering anyway - I'm playing it on my big screen tv which is 60hz but the game wants me to set the refresh rate to 59.94 or something...fair enough lol.

There are definitely some bugs with randomly dropping frames which seem to fix themselves after the next cut scene or after dying and loading back into the game. At one point I kept dying on one of the oil factory things and every other time I loaded back in I had lost about 5 frames but it was 100% consistent so very weird and definitely a bug.

Loved the sequence building up to flying the Ikran for the first time and also couldn't help but think 'wow' the first time I stepped out into the high grasslands. The wind effects are awesome.

Last edited:
I think that's where I am at the moment, have to take out the AMP suit goons and take down the cooling towers etc. Quite hard that bit actually as gotta fight them with strategy rather than firing away like and action movie or something :D

Back
Top Bottom