ne0

ne0

Associate
In that case you win because it is awesome in many aspects, graphically it's amazing but easy to get lost and end up going round in circles :p
yeah that happened to me a few times too but I don't mind, the world is so flippin immersive it's actually fun to get lost :D

Soldato
Was on the fence about this one but just bought it and spent an hour on it and i'm actually enjoying it, it looks gorgeous and the combat is pretty good so far, running around jumping through the air slaughtering the RDA.

Man of Honour
First impressions are that up close, textures in indoors areas do not stand up to scrutiny, they are low res low poly, and only get blurry if you zoom in /if/ depth of field is on lol.

I am using the Unobtanium GFX preset

Outdoors in the forest it looks really good. With FSR3 Frame Gen enabled I can pull 100fps fairly easily using Quality mode. Ultra Quality is using the native render res (3440x1440 for me). I don't like frame gen in this though, there is obvious frame time stuttering when panning the camera left and right, and it is visually less-smooth at 100fps using FSR3 frame gen than DLSS Quality at 60fps which has a completely flat frametime graph line on RTSS. I wonder what DLSS3 injected into the game via a mod will do, it would be hilarious to get better results than FSR3 (usually the case anyway in other games though).

Using DLSS Quality results in 55-65fps out in the forest, and up to around 80fps indoors. There is no Reflex or RAW mouse input option but I don't think it's needed as mouse camera latency/response seems really good, even at the lower fps in Unobtanium settings. I dropped the mouse sensitivity to 95 for the 3 mouse values and that's good for me on a 1000dpi/1000Hz mouse.

Setting the preset to Ultra results in over 100fps out in the forest with DLSS Quality. Visually there's not that much different between Unobtanium and Ultra. See for yourself:

https://imgsli.com/MjI1MTA0/2/3

Technical faffery aside, the gameplay seems really cool, the control mechanics are a bit different to other games I play(ed), so takes a bit of adjusting to them, but feels fine. I bound the crouch and melee actions to the mouse back/forward buttons which is much more intuitive than doing finger-yoga at times.

It's annoying that cutscenes are in 16:9 though, hopefully a 21:9 cutscenes mod comes out soon.

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
First impressions are that up close, textures in indoors areas do not stand up to scrutiny, they are low res low poly, and only get blurry if you zoom in /if/ depth of field is on lol.
Pretty sure this is a bug, i'm having a similar issue where sometimes high poly objects and textures will not load in unless i restart the game.

Man of Honour
Hmm time to keep an eye out for a patch soon I guess then if that's the case!

Benchmark mode is pretty comprehensive too which is nice to see:

5mZGXkD.jpg

SL3Z7nF.jpg

Caporegime
Advice is don't use Exclusive Fullscreen setting.

Doesn't do anything for me, still stuttery and the ui areas make it even more noticeably stuttery. Better to use dlss if you have a nvidia gpu.

Seems a few settings are missing from the graphical UI i.e. turn of chromatic aberation and so on in:

C:\Users\name\Documents\My Games\AFOP

Can also set hdr black level etc. via here too.

Caporegime
Anyone using HDR for this? According to gamingtech, it is not supported properly from black depth to the colour space etc. and whilst true, the game looks way better in hdr than sdr on my aw qd-oled especially the jungle at night.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Anyone using HDR for this? According to gamingtech, it is not supported properly from black depth to the colour space etc. and whilst true, the game looks way better in hdr than sdr on my aw qd-oled especially the jungle at night.

I use HDR on many games that don't support it. Generally speaking they look better to me, so no surprise there.

Caporegime
I use HDR on many games that don't support it. Generally speaking they look better to me, so no surprise there.

Usually it's a complete no go for me if there isn't proper support as very obvious especially black levels but in this game, it's a definite improvement even if not true HDR.

Man of Honour

You can shoot individual leaves and things off plants/trees! Not seen this since Crysis lol.

Also, now that I'm past the prologue type bit and well into the forest (21% into the main quest), the VRAM usage has hit 17GB :eek:

j7329rz.png

Also now that I'm well acquainted with the engine and visuals, it's clear that anywhere away from daylight in the forest just doesn't seem that impressive compared to other games using RT and proper GI.

Look at this as an example, just exited the cave after finding the Soft Landing ancestral skill and saw this Na'vi fishing, everything looks pretty bland and the reflections aren't 1:1 to what's in the scene in the BG (Alex at DF mentioned the lack of reflection accuracy too):

bzSY3et.jpg

But then back in the forest and it looks like this:

9BpwLLA.jpg

The framerate also has massive swings, from 128fps one moment to 71fps the next. There's definitely room for resource utilisation improvement I think for sure. In the earlier RTSS screenshot I'm out in the forest where it's night and nothing is happening, yet 12GB of system RAM is being used by the game alone, and 15GB of VRAM with the GPU pegging 100%...

Running through the dens vegetation during daylight shooting animals and RDA etc is very fun and immersive, even just running through climbing and stuff. I don't care to do all the trivial dialogue stuff as that feels a bit boring :p Good thing the map is absolutely huge though. I'm on a mission to find all the ancestral skills currently so am mooching end to end :cool:

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Also, now that I'm past the prologue type bit and well into the forest (21% into the main quest), the VRAM usage has hit 17GB :eek:

You make it sound like this is something new. Call of duty games did this many years ago as I recall. Allocated and what is actually needed is different.

I remember discovering that years ago with Final Fantasy 15. It would use the extra vram but make no difference to anything.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom