Baldur's Gate 3

I'm really struggling to progress due to getting pounded in battles and I'm not sure if I'm taking on the the difficult encounters too soon. Are any of you using a decent guide / walkthrough?

Not needed one yet really, can usually work something out.

Make sure you use your short rests between fights to heal people up, and before big/difficult fights make sure you've used the long rest to restore spell slots. Short rests can also restore some abilities such as Laezels adrenaline surge that lets her attack 4 times in a turn!

If you have Shadowheart as your main healer, you can re-spec her into a more useful sub-class of the Cleric than trickery domain. If you want some extra damage then go war domain or tempest, if you want better healing go life domain.

Shadowheart can cast the Aid spell on your whole party which can boost the max HP of everyone, I highly recommend doing this after each long rest, makes a big difference to your survival, especially as you can up-cast it to a higher level for additional boost to extra HP.

Last edited:
shrek-dragon.gif

RDT_20230828_1516241377840320411434841.jpg

I'm really struggling to progress due to getting pounded in battles and I'm not sure if I'm taking on the the difficult encounters too soon. Are any of you using a decent guide / walkthrough?

Quite as few potions will stay in effect until you long rest. You can only use 1 at a time though so my main fighter uses a strength potion to boost strength to 27.
Buffing is a good way to last a fight but you need to maintain concentration. Casting a new spell will cancel the existing one.
Do you have scrolls of summon elemental? An extra fighter is worth having, just make sure you select the correct one for the fight.

Quite as few potions will stay in effect until you long rest.
Elixirs last till long rest.
You can only use 1 at a time though so my main fighter uses a strength potion to boost strength to 27.
Buffing is a good way to last a fight but you need to maintain concentration. Casting a new spell will cancel the existing one.
Only if its another spell that requires concentration. You can cast instant spells like heals fire ball etc that are instant
Do you have scrolls of summon elemental? An extra fighter is worth having, just make sure you select the correct one for the fight.
Or animate dead etc

I've actually not felt the need yet to use a single buff potion (I will use health potions as main consumable ofc), scroll, or special arrow, even on Tactician difficulty.

I don't call myself a master strategist or anything, and there is still a lot I don't know (including random spells/abilities that pop up which I've never seen before).

But I do kind of wish they had a nightmare difficulty above Tactician, that really forced me to use every tool at my disposal. Like Tactician mode but enemies have more hp/do more damage etc.

Last edited:
i'm having a great time in act 2, thought i would hate all the shadow stuff but

big spoilers!
I killed Marcus , so the Inn is still safe
That led on to hijacking the driad convoy with an extra group of helpers and i got the pixie blessing
I convinced the Dr to kill himself and all the nurses to suicide so that saved a big fight
And i did the Creche first so have the mace with the death star cannon built into it, which creams undead.

I've ditched Astarion and am going with 2 tanks, Lae'zel and Karlach. Both hasted just make mincemeat of pretty much anything. I can still lockpick reasonably well, so i might come back to Astarion in the next play through.

i'm having a great time in act 2, thought i would hate all the shadow stuff but

big spoilers!
I killed Marcus , so the Inn is still safe
That led on to hijacking the driad convoy with an extra group of helpers and i got the pixie blessing
I convinced the Dr to kill himself and all the nurses to suicide so that saved a big fight
And i did the Creche first so have the mace with the death star cannon built into it, which creams undead.

I've ditched Astarion and am going with 2 tanks, Lae'zel and Karlach. Both hasted just make mincemeat of pretty much anything. I can still lockpick reasonably well, so i might come back to Astarion in the next play through.

really like that item

What is your party setup ? I personally have Shadowheart for damage/support, Karlach as a Tank, Astarian as a rogue and my character is a Sorceror for spell damage. So it is fairly balanced. I have no prior experience with D&D myself but I have somehow managed to get to Act 3. I have it set to explorer difficulty, although I did play Act 1 on standard.

If you know you are about to get into a fight then F5 before hand so that you can reload if required. Any spells that buff your party can be applied before combat in turn based mode. Also turn based mode can sometimes get you a few free turns, so if you attack with one party member you can usually click on the other party member portraits and get a free attack in. Scrolls like grease can be useful as they can make enemies prone, and you can also set fire to it.

If you have Shadowheart then get used to using Bless and Bane. If you can make the enemy miss more whilst you are getting hits in then it will be easier. Also try and get the high ground where possible.

Last edited:
A lot of the cast have been doing interviews. A few even managed not to give any spoilers. I've been very wary still since I have so much more to go.

Coop really changes the dynamic of the game. Combat is far easier I feel as everyone can talk about tactics and you only have one character to focus on.

Y'all got some knowledge for sure. Only person I could name in a game was that guy who did the voice for Drake in Uncharted, whose name I have apparently forgotten, thus making this post a lie.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom