BMW and M Power Owners

I got shut of my 2019 320i touring due to getting what I paid for it after 3 years and turbo failing, however I did really enjoy it though. So I’m back looking for a 5 door ‘upto’ 20k must be petrol as I only do 10mile commute and have space for a family(decent boot) hence the 5 door requirement. Wanted something more along the 330i 340i 440i range ideally but not sure what’s best bang for buck in terms of spec and age in an inflated market ?

Last edited:
Having driven F33 M4s, 435i, 440i and 435d, believe me, I also was convinced that was the case, so I hear you!

I think it's personal and depends on your refernece point..

Jumping from my E46 M3 to an M4 and it's different, but still has that crazy visceral experience, just amped up turbo engine, but definitely an 'experience'..
Jumping in a 440i though and if that's all you know, great, nice engine and you'd be happy, but coming from an M3/M4, it feels so synthetic/numb and dare I say boring.. I've driven the 435i and 440i within a week of each other and just didn't gel with them, hoping the 440i would add a bit more to proceedings, but as soon as I get back in the M3 that same feeling comes back of they are too refined/quiet/linear for a turbo engine.

I then by a freak set of circumstances had a 435d for a few days, driving it to Spa to meet a friend who was racing, it's his cheap continent muncher he uses when touring europe, and so I did a fair whack of mileage over 4 days, roof down etc. I expected to hate it, but was pleasantly surprised, the engine is refined 'enough', still has some noise when revving, but rather than feel a bit too linear/numb, the torque is just that degree more and xDrive just does enough to be a hoot when going over more challenging roads/camber changes full throttle and whilst it moves a bit on all 4 wheels, it keeps forward momentum.

When I got to Spa and mentioned this, immediately a few people chipped in that have driven it and said it's the most surprising car they've driven, and agree, the biggest issue with a 440i is the M4 is just a much better experience on every level.. the 435d has the torque and xDrive that make it 'different'..

Each to their own, everyone tells me the E46 M3 Convertible is wrong on every level, far too much compromise to the handling, yet I enjoy it..

The stock f3x 40i engine is a bit boring yes, have you driven an mppsk one? It's "only" 60bhp or so more but the character of the engine is completely different, far more low end torque and even more eager to rev harder. Completely transformed the car, and might be closer to what you want?

Sounds better than an m4 too ;)

Last edited:
The stock f3x 40i engine is a bit boring yes, have you driven an mppsk one? It's "only" 60bhp or so more but the character of the engine is completely different, far more low end torque and even more eager to rev harder. Completely transformed the car, and might be closer to what you want?

Sounds better than an m4 too ;)
Good shout, I've looked on youtube and found some vids.. yup.. that is a not bad and actually a contender..

The other aspect I've learnt is I do want a 4 seater as I do still want to take our 2 teenagers out occasionally and we do manage in the M3, but that is surprisingly roomy considering.. I went to look at an M240i and 640d convertible at lunchtime and oddly the 6 series had less legroom than my m3 and not sure about the 2 series either, certainly not as accommodating as the 4 series.

Last edited:
Good shout, I've looked on youtube and found some vids.. yup.. that is a not bad and actually a contender..

The other aspect I've learnt is I do want a 4 seater as I do still want to take our 2 teenagers out occasionally and we do manage in the M3, but that is surprisingly roomy considering.. I went to look at an M240i and 640d convertible at lunchtime and oddly the 6 series had less legroom than my m3 and not sure about the 2 series either, certainly not as accommodating as the 4 series.

That was my 440i

That was my 440i
Perfect!

Any common issues surfacing with the B58? I only see minor stuff doing a quick search..

I see Cotswolds are advertising the MPPSK with carbon tips fitted for £2250 which means I could get that retrofitted making it easier to find the right colour/spec and factor in a retrofit.

Also, I see some with the M-Performance exhaust but not mentioning the full MPPSK, could you buy the exhaust on it's own without the increased power?

Last edited:
My 440i with the MPPSK exhaust sounds meaty

End of this video for exhaust noise in sport mode (Valves open)

It's louder with valves closed, and sounds pretty good. But in Sport mode, with those valves open, its completely different.
This is running the stock engine tune as well, I'm going back next week for the replacement telematics unit and MPPSK map.

Any common issues surfacing with the B58?

I see Cotswolds are advertising the MPPSK with carbon tips fitted for £2250 which means I could get that retrofitted making it easier to find the right colour/spec and factor in a retrofit.

Also, I see some with the M-Performance exhaust but not mentioning the full MPPSK, could you buy the exhaust on it's own without the increased power?
Rybrook in Warwick will do it for £1800. That is what they charged me last month.

You can buy just the exhaust, however, they quoted £1550 for that on its own, installed. Makes sense to get the little bump in power with it.

Perfect!

Any common issues surfacing with the B58? I only see minor stuff doing a quick search..

this is my 440i with the MPPSK

if you want the 440i with MPPSK you need to get one with the OG B58 engine without the particulate filter (so cars manufactured earlier than mid-2018)
as i said earlier these are basically old, unshifted stock and should be able to get a decent price for it. i paid £1400-ish (chrome tips) for mine from cotswolds cheltenham bmw

also the engine is reasonably frugal for a 3L i6
i get high 20s-low 30s mpg during my commute (9 miles within birmingham)
if hypermiling on the motorways, can get 50mpg

440i GC + MPPSK
U6CghW7.jpg

Last edited:
this is my 440i with the MPPSK

if you want the 440i with MPPSK you need to get one with the OG B58 engine without the particulate filter (so cars manufactured earlier than mid-2018)
as i said earlier these are basically old, unshifted stock and should be able to get a decent price for it. i paid £1400-ish (chrome tips) for mine from cotswolds cheltenham bmw

also the engine is reasonably frugal for a 3L i6
i get high 20s-low 30s mpg during my commute (9 miles within birmingham)
if hypermiling on the motorways, can get 50mpg

So the B58TU can't have it applied? This is OK, as due to my low annual mileage, I don't want to spend too much so am looking at 2017/18 cars.

Also, I can't see adaptive suspension mentioned at all for anything I've seen 440i wise, is that not an option? Or standard?

So the B58TU can't have it applied? This is OK, as due to my low annual mileage, I don't want to spend too much so am looking at 2017/18 cars.

Also, I can't see adaptive suspension mentioned at all for anything I've seen 440i wise, is that not an option? Or standard?
Its an option.
Whats your budget, there are a few on Auto trader with it.
You'll want the HUD too.

It is an option, but it isn't particularly common. Or really that good - I think the standard M Sport suspension is better, especially on an older used car.

correct. you should be looking at 67 or 18 reg cars as these will be after the LCI (LED rear lamps and some styling changes) but still have the OG B58

it's an uncommon option. i have it in mine, i've never had a bmw without adaptive suspension so cannot comment how it compares to the sport/m-sport suspension.
would also get the adaptive LED headlights. the non-adaptive LED headlights are dimmer than the xenons.
agree with @Diagro re: HUD. now i have it, definitely feel like i can't do without it lol
also if you get the chance, the full digital driver's display makes the interior feel more up-to-date

I think the standard M Sport suspension is better, especially on an older used car.
purely for reliability/cheaper maintenance?

Curve ball,

Someone on Cutters just asked if I wanted to PX my E46 M3 for his F83 M4..

YyxQewzl.jpg

Massive service/maintenance history, within last 2 years, turbo's, cats done and a raft of other stuff, recent diff service, so many things changed etc.. Uber clean and nice condition inside as well, only spec option missing is HUD.
But 86K Miles, it's a 2015 non competition.

So with no chance of extended warranty (almost £5k/year, even a low mileage one is £2k/year), is it worth riding the recent crazy maintenance, risk it's trouble free for 2 years or so, then worry about things..

Prices of F83 M4s (even competition spec) are cheaper than the same year 440i's.. so imagine my head is all over the place! Is this because they are just money pits.. I notice the service history for this is £7k bills here and there..

So talk me out of it.. stat........

(alternative would be something like this 440i - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306138456469 , £450/year for warranty and would get the MPPSK etc)

Last edited:
They are actually quite solid motors if you don't map them, it looks like it's had most stuff done, I say go for it. Interesting colour. Just be weary that in non-comps the torque map is savage and it will bite you if you don't treat it with respect.

My personal view is avoid adaptive on the f3x, they tried to Jekyll and Hyde it by using softer springs and stiffening the dampers, but in reality it's too soft even in sport mode (the front of the lifts quite hard under acceleration!). I had a 430i with normal msport suspension and then bought the 440i with adaptive....it annoyed me from day one and was probably the biggest contributing factor to me selling it...whereas the normal static suspension was great.

Last edited:
Got a tyre pressure warning this morning so popped to the garage and sorted it, or so I thought.
The recommended pressure on the door sil is 2.7 front and 2.2 rear. Pretty sure that's what I've always done but the warning light is still on for front tyres, it says recommended is 3.1 on car info display. That pressure is not on any of the configurations on the door sil.

Back
Top Bottom