• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DirectX 12

Permabanned
Some boxes say DX11.2 and some have little * next to it and disclaimer states bla bla feature level but software level.

My EVGA 780TI SC ref cooler box has no big DX11.2 on it anywhere.
In small specs text on rear it says:

Microsoft DirectX 11.2 API (feature level 11_0)

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking forward to building a new PC with all the new toys.. Finally some progression..

Intel Haswell -E CPU
20nm GPU's
X99 Motherboard
DDR4
Windows 9 @ DirectX 12.

This is more like it, putting money aside for this.

There is a big change coming indeed, can't wait!
Though not sure on W9 release, what with them getting 8 updated and "sorted out", too soon and it would've been a waste.

Soldato
+

thank the consoles for that. doesnt mean its pointless :/ competition and updated tools are all good.
The demise of Games for Windows says that much. M$ has stop genuinely caring for the PC gaming community for quite a while...they've been far too focus and far too busy glorifying the the xbone.

dx12 is probably nothing more than just an excuse to focus people to buy and upgrade to the new window version, despite Windows 7 (which is probably soon to become the new "XP") is more than everything they need.

Windows 9 and dx12? Well, has everyone already forgotten about Vista and dx10? We all know how that one went...

If the current dx11 graphic cards is not compatible with dx12, then you can expect dx12 not to go very far, as consoles would also not be compatible with it neither. The only way that dx12 would really progress is that it MUST be compatible with dx11 hardware.

So in the simplest term is that dx12 has to be compatible with Windows 7 and Windows 8 and dx11 hardware, or M$ can GTFO.

Last edited:
Soldato
The demise of Games for Windows says that much. M$ has stop genuinely caring for the PC gaming community for quite a while...they've been far too focus and far too busy glorifying the the xbone.

dx12 is probably nothing more than just an excuse to focus people to buy and upgrade to the new window version, despite Windows 7 (which is probably soon to become the new "XP") is more than everything they need.

Windows 9 and dx12? Well, has everyone already forgotten about Vista and dx10? We all know how that one went...

If the current dx11 graphic cards is not compatible with dx12, then you can expect dx12 not to go very far, as consoles would also not be compatible with it neither. The only way that dx12 would really progress is that it MUST be compatible with dx11 hardware.

So in the simplest term is that dx12 has to be compatible with Windows 7 and Windows 8 and dx11 hardware, or M$ can GTFO.

Lol wait, you think microsoft getting rid of GFWL is a BAD thing for PC gamers? Best thing I've read in ages.

Associate
At this point, I think the bigger question is if whether the majority of developers will support Direct X 12, lets speculate that DX12 brings more performance than other APIs, and seeing how its likely its only for windows 9, and unless windows 9 is a massive success and almost everyone use it, I don't see wide developer adoption.

Mantle on the other hand is in beta, but an SDK will be coming sometime. No word on whether the API will be opened to Nvidia users, but I would think it will get better adoption than DirectX 12.

Then we have OpenGL, no word yet but likely to support all vendors which is promising and in AMD vision of a future API with low overhead. The problem people have expressed is like icing on top and crap underneath since its not built from scratch, which might make it hard for developers to adopt.

Last edited:
Soldato
At this point, I think the bigger question is if whether the majority of developers will support Direct X 12, lets speculate that DX12 brings more performance than other APIs, and seeing how its likely its only for windows 9, and unless windows 9 is a massive success and almost everyone use it, I don't see wide developer adoption.

Mantle on the other hand is in beta, but an SDK will be coming sometime. No word on whether the API will be opened to Nvidia users, but I would think it will get better adoption than DirectX 12.

Then we have OpenGL, no word yet but likely to support all vendors which is promising and in AMD vision of a future API with low overhead. The problem people have expressed is like icing on top and crap underneath since its not built from scratch, which might make it hard for developers to adopt.

I read somewhere that AMD already asked nvidia to come on board with mantle and they said no, lets face it, it's not the first time nvidia have been *****, remember how long it took to get nvidia to share there sli technology so that we could all have a choice of sli or xfire on one motherboard, it took years, before that, if you wanted sli, you had to by an nvidia chipset motherboard.

Caporegime
Once DirectX offers low level optimizations developers will not waste their time, effort and money with Mantle, they'll only do so if AMD offer them financial incentives which is unlikely looking at history as AMD expect everything to be done for them for free. AMD will probably just accuse NVidia of something underhand when it inevitably fails due to their lack of investment and OCUK will have another 10 page thread of AMD owners blaming NVidia.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I read somewhere that AMD already asked nvidia to come on board with mantle and they said no, lets face it, it's not the first time nvidia have been *****, remember how long it took to get nvidia to share there sli technology so that we could all have a choice of sli or xfire on one motherboard, it took years, before that, if you wanted sli, you had to by an nvidia chipset motherboard.

Not that I doubt you but I don't believe that and would require proof ;)

Permabanned
WTF does that have do with Nvidia, that was Ageia with over priced add in cards.

Nvidia bought them and gave peeps who already own Nvidia GPU's free PhysX and the choice to use it or not.

FREE = WIN

You really are clutching at straws and subjectively posting info.

Back up your own BS, I bet someone here with better Google skills can/will link you to AMD statement on Nvidia's offer.

Edit, 1st result : http://www.bit-tech.net/custompc/news/602205/nvidia-offers-physx-support-to-amd--ati.html

Last edited:
Soldato
WTF does that have do with Nvidia, that was Ageia with over priced add in cards.

Nvidia bought them and gave peeps who already own Nvidia GPU's free PhysX and the choice to use it or not.

FREE = WIN

You really are clutching at straws and subjectively posting info.

Back up your own BS, I bet someone here with better Google skills can/will link you to AMD statement on Nvidia's offer.

Edit, 1st result : http://www.bit-tech.net/custompc/news/602205/nvidia-offers-physx-support-to-amd--ati.html

Keep your hair on, all I said was I read it somewhere today about AMDs offer, I am currently working my way though all the things I've read to find it again and will post the link as soon as I find it.

Ageia, nvidiq who gives a rats ass who it was, all I said again was I remember when they were over priced cards, I've not used nvidia cards since the 5 series, I had a pair of BFGs which gave me nothing but a headache and never went back again, over priced, over heating junk

Last edited:
Associate
Looking forward to the announcements to be made by Microsoft on this later this month, should be exciting news!

Have to say that I think Microsoft have been stepping up their game recently, Visual Studio 2013 is brilliant, Windows 8.1 is a step in the right direction and now this recent reveal of a (hopefully major) update to DirectX.

On another note, I am absolutely killing myself laughing at the select few people on this thread who seriously believe that DX is done and that Mantle is going to take over the graphics market - absolute nonsense. Good luck AMD keeping up with a company which has a lot more experience in this industry and a market capitalisation of around 100x AMDs... :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Same bro. All hardware currently on the market is some ol' Bullsh** tbh. :\

There is a big change coming indeed, can't wait!
Though not sure on W9 release, what with them getting 8 updated and "sorted out", too soon and it would've been a waste.

Things have moved so slowly over the past couple of years, but next year will see everything upgraded. 8 core Intel's, DDR4, newer Motherboards. 20nm GPU's, Direct X12 and Windows 9. 2015 is the year to upgrade. Will probably see a bit of a resurgence in the PC market next year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom