*** Elden Ring ***

When you level up you can see how much attack power you would get via increasing dex or strength. I have 80 strength in my build as it was still giving me good returns, but I always use S, A or B strength weapons for amazing scaling.

EG, you might get 3 attack power per dex point under level 50, then only 2 per dex point above 50, to the point at 80 str I only get 1 attack increase, so it's no longer worth it as other stats are going to benefit more.

Bleed can come from various types of weapons, even strength ones, I wrecked many bosses with the bleed effect on the Vulgar Militia saw + 25. I also have fire and scarlet rot and holy damage strength weapons too. You'll want a bleed damage weapon to begin with.

Turns out my build in NG+ was already really good for the DLC, I've been using shields and poke weapons right back since Dark Souls 1, so it's good they're finally very powerful in this DLC, but I did wreck a few bosses quicker than I ever have before in a Souls game, my build is arguably OP and I'll play through it again with a newer, weaker character. My mimic tear is very powerful if I use a weapon the boss is weak to and I've been using the mimic freely as it's a refreshing feeling to wreck a boss without majr pain, I'll go back and try again with my next character. I do try them a time or two completely solo, but as someone who completed DS1 2 and 3 with all DLC bosses, I'm enjoying coasting a bit in this game. Still got the final boss to do though which I know is tough.

Just to add more so it's clear, if a weapon has A strength scaling, but has 50% physical and 50% magic damage, you only get the str bonus on the physical 50%. The 50% magic damage scales with whatever stat causes that damage. Hence "pure" strength or dex weapons still having great value for the full 100% scaling bonus. Note, when you upgrade a weapon to +10 etc, often the best increase it its primary stat scaling going from C to A for example.

However, I've found that you still get loads of magic damage and procs on str or dex combo magic damage weapons even with only bothering with strength/dex, my arcane is very low but I still got lots of bleed effects and all the other magic effects for other low stats too.

But having both stats types well represented on a weapon that reflects both types as well, can/does give the most attack power.

EG: My highest attack power weapon when sorted by it is Staff of the Avatar+10.

It has 60% str scaling, 40% faith scaling due to having 40% holy damage.

Its Scaling is A for Str, but B for Faith.

At 80 str and 30 faith it's my highest attack power weapon, if I keep increasing faith it will only get better as I've hit the str useful capacity. You also get useful spells through faith too.

Some pure weapons have S scaling, which still makes them good even lacking the magic damage for pure damage use.

Hope that helps as it takes a while to truly get all the weapon systems down. Then you've got infusing weapons to essentially convert them to fit your stats, but that's another issue.

Well Messmer is one tough mutha! Haven't yet managed to dodge his initial attack successfully. I think I might need to do a bleed re-spec as he does seem to be weak to this

Got a little time with the DLC last night, downed Rellana after a lengthy period and after some exploring came across Ralva and turned him into a nice pelt. Feels almost like each turn I take there’s more and more to explore, loving the DLC so far.

Does the game take you Eastward with the story? I just beat Godrick and opened up the north of the map, but I haven't had a reason to venture East yet. I have taken a look and it seems like a high level area, but just wondering if I should explore the East yet or go north for a bit...

When you level up you can see how much attack power you would get via increasing dex or strength. I have 80 strength in my build as it was still giving me good returns, but I always use S, A or B strength weapons for amazing scaling.

EG, you might get 3 attack power per dex point under level 50, then only 2 per dex point above 50, to the point at 80 str I only get 1 attack increase, so it's no longer worth it as other stats are going to benefit more.

Bleed can come from various types of weapons, even strength ones, I wrecked many bosses with the bleed effect on the Vulgar Militia saw + 25. I also have fire and scarlet rot and holy damage strength weapons too. You'll want a bleed damage weapon to begin with.

Turns out my build in NG+ was already really good for the DLC, I've been using shields and poke weapons right back since Dark Souls 1, so it's good they're finally very powerful in this DLC, but I did wreck a few bosses quicker than I ever have before in a Souls game, my build is arguably OP and I'll play through it again with a newer, weaker character. My mimic tear is very powerful if I use a weapon the boss is weak to and I've been using the mimic freely as it's a refreshing feeling to wreck a boss without majr pain, I'll go back and try again with my next character. I do try them a time or two completely solo, but as someone who completed DS1 2 and 3 with all DLC bosses, I'm enjoying coasting a bit in this game. Still got the final boss to do though which I know is tough.
Thanks very thorough, I had a look at a katana list and I don't think there's any that have s, a or even b ranking for Dex? Does that change when you upgrade some of these weapons?

Does the game take you Eastward with the story? I just beat Godrick and opened up the north of the map, but I haven't had a reason to venture East yet. I have taken a look and it seems like a high level area, but just wondering if I should explore the East yet or go north for a bit...
Head North to Liurnia. East of Limgrave is Caelid & that's pretty tough.

Well Messmer is one tough mutha! Haven't yet managed to dodge his initial attack successfully. I think I might need to do a bleed re-spec as he does seem to be weak to this
I had a hell of a time with him until I summoned in Hornfest or whatever his name is , once I brought him in with me it was much easier

I had a hell of a time with him until I summoned in Hornfest or whatever his name is , once I brought him in with me it was much easier
I spent an hour and a half last night getting setup for the lightning perfume bottle and then after putting into action realised it was nerfed into oblivion with the most recent patch. lol

Just finished the DLC, thought it was really good overall certainly worth the money and probably my favourite piece of FromSoftware DLC. As other people have mentioned... not a big fan of the 2nd phase of the final boss, I usually find difficult souls bosses a lot of fun (i.e Malenia) but this one felt bordering on unnecessarily frustrating.

Phase 1 is fine but the holy ray spam in phase 2 (along with the resulting framedrops and bad visibility) made it annoying. Until you die to them a lot of times it was unclear to me how you're supposed to dodge the clone attacks too. For a shieldless dex build it took me about 3 hours even with 60 vigor and 12 flasks, even then still getting hit a lot, final attempt at the end of suffering :p:

I'm usually excited to replay content at SL1/RL1, and I will for most of the DLC, but don't think I have the patience to learn how to dodge the holy spam consistently enough to do the last boss RL1.

Last edited:
Just finished the DLC, thought it was really good overall certainly worth the money and probably my favourite piece of FromSoftware DLC. As other people have mentioned... not a big fan of the 2nd phase of the final boss, I usually find difficult souls bosses a lot of fun (i.e Malenia) but this one felt bordering on unnecessarily frustrating.

Phase 1 is fine but the holy ray spam in phase 2 (along with the resulting framedrops and bad visibility) made it annoying. Until you die to them a lot of times it was unclear to me how you're supposed to dodge the clone attacks too. For a shieldless dex build it took me about 3 hours even with 60 vigor and 12 flasks, even then still getting hit a lot, final attempt at the end of suffering :p:

I'm usually excited to replay content at SL1/RL1, and I will for most of the DLC, but don't think I have the patience to learn how to dodge the holy spam consistently enough to do the last boss RL1.
Must say its been a terrific DLC, really frustrating in a few places but plenty of content. Not everyone can get away with a DLC priced at 35 quid but there are full price games that have less in them than this DLC. I guess now its the long wait til Elden Ring 2 :)

There is a lot in the DLC to be fair. One of the most effective new weapon types is the thrusting shields.

I was able to L1 + R1 those horned warrior gits easily. Just make sure to have lots of stamina.

I've barely used a shield or parried in my 200hours playing Elden ring, I really should get better at that. I end up dodge-roll or jump spamming to avoid attacks.
What are the best shields in the game for parrying? I think I saw an art of war Parry for shields but not sure how that is put into affect

I've barely used a shield or parried in my 200hours playing Elden ring, I really should get better at that. I end up dodge-roll or jump spamming to avoid attacks.
What are the best shields in the game for parrying? I think I saw an art of war Parry for shields but not sure how that is put into affect
you can take shields with no skill ash of war effect and put parry on to them, means you can really take a shield you like and do what you want with it.

Just finished the DLC, thought it was really good overall certainly worth the money and probably my favourite piece of FromSoftware DLC. As other people have mentioned... not a big fan of the 2nd phase of the final boss, .
Agreed DLC is incredible. Bosses generally felt fair...I haven't done bayle or Gaius but that's more down to personal preference. I think my favourite was Putrescent Knight.

The end boss was just not good, and yeh 2nd phase is wild. I even watched a few youtubers no hit it and I still don't get how they are dodging some of the laser explosion moves.

My only worry about going through the dlc again is just figuring out where to go again...I swear every area I entered was just a happy accident and generally can't recall how to get from place to place!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom