*** Elden Ring ***

The only character I have is my lv 185 strength tactics build in NG+. Had just defeated Morgott, so still have a way to go to get to Moghywn, even though I did beat him in NG.

Hopefully the DLC is balanced as I have 80 strength in this build and a selection of maxed out str weapons including the Lance, giant stone hammer, Grand epee, Guts greatsword, Vyke's spear, plus tactical options the multi shot crossbow and Godwin's dragon flame arm. Along with maxed shields including the flame head and fingerprint.

Still my only build I've played, though have many other builds in other souls games. I stuck with str build pre buffs, now it's very powerful, the Lance with a top quality shield is amazing defensively, can poke with the shield up, lance the hardest hitting weapon that lets you do that. + 25 lance has A str scaling, underrated weapon.

Hopefully DLC not too hard in NG+ as I'm sticking with the 185, too much time invested in it.
Is going into the expansion in ng going to cause a big issue with the rebalancing stuff they’ve put in? I only have one character on ng+2 at 200

So my primary character (Mage) is NG+3 and ready, Im resting at Mausoleum Midpoint grace ready for the DLC. Just for fun I thought I would start a Palladin and go down the Chaos Lord playthrough and Im completely stumped. How do I get to Farum Azula after burning the Erdtree? If I burn the Erdtree rather than Melina do I lock myself out of Farum Azula? I have spent the last 2 evenings wandering around but this has got me completely stumped. I remember feeling stumped was a normal occurrence during my first playthrough :cry:
I might be missing the point here but faram azula is accessed after the fire giant, but don’t you have to do faram azula to burn the tree?

Re-familiariasing myself with gameplay, and my sole elden ring charater, a lvl130 intelligent earth mage, trundling through the lake of rot and dealing with Astel....had a realisation I've been here before, but my spells and weapons are somewhat missing (a useful moon and sword), as are some sites of grace. Before tackling Morg, where I can rest and snipe a bird from a ledge and some turtle things for uber easy money.

Have I mucked up saves somehow...am on same lockdown built PC and pretty sure cloud saves are enabled...

The dlc is accessible in a few hours if you know what you’re doing / your build, and where to go.

I haven’t read anything about the dlc.. but there could be ancient smithing stones within
I kind of blitzed through but still took me 44 hours! I imagine if you had a proper game plan and were god tier at the game you could get it done in a few hours for sure. It's pretty easy to get to Moghwhyn via Varre but if you also need to beat Radagon it may take longer.

Re-familiariasing myself with gameplay, and my sole elden ring charater, a lvl130 intelligent earth mage, trundling through the lake of rot and dealing with Astel....had a realisation I've been here before, but my spells and weapons are somewhat missing (a useful moon and sword), as are some sites of grace. Before tackling Morg, where I can rest and snipe a bird from a ledge and some turtle things for uber easy money.

Have I mucked up saves somehow...am on same lockdown built PC and pretty sure cloud saves are enabled...

Did you maybe start NG+ previously? As for the bird, you're referring to - https://mapgenie.io/elden-ring/maps/the-lands-between?locationIds=167517

That grace point

Finally made in to Mohgwyn Palace on my NG+, now lv 187 character, going the boss fight route rather than doing Varre's Quest which is quite annoying.

Definitely interesting getting back into the game after a year or so at the point I was at just after Morgott, not too bad until Commander Niall who wrecked me many times me using my lance and shield to the point of getting classic souls games anger, so I checked a guide, he's weak to bleed, then I remembered just how many strength weapons I leveled up before going NG+. So luckily I had arguably the only decent strength bleed weapon, Heavy Vulgar Militia Saw+24 that has A strength scaling and 55 bleed.

Using that and my +10 mimic with fingerprint shield destroyed him first time that loadout, so having a range of good weapons is definitely key, and I expect so for the expansion too. A new build won't have nearly as many weapon types, so NG+ should be easier for the expansion. Turns out I have most all the good strength weapons upgraded, so I think I'll have an easier time than going with a new character. NG+2 or 3, etc should be the same I expect in having an advantage.

If it helps anyone, here's some other really good stat and magic effect strength weapons I've got that I bet will make expansion easier than just having one good weapon upgraded like most new characters can get:

Rotten Staff+ 10
B str rating
causes Scarlet rot 75

Cranial Vessel Candlestand +10
B str rating
50% fire damage

Staff of the Avatar+10
str rating A
40% Holy damage

I might be missing the point here but faram azula is accessed after the fire giant, but don’t you have to do faram azula to burn the tree?
Maybe that is where I went wrong. I killed the fire giant and then burnt the tree as Im doing the frenzied flame path.
On normal playthroughs, after killing the Fire Giant you go up to the big round place and Melina appears and sets fire to the tree and then you wake up in Farum Azula if I remember correctly as it has been a while since my last playthrough

I've owned Elden Ring since lauch, but barely played it / scraped the surface. Does the new DLC tie in to the main game (ie branch off it) or is it separate? I'm wondering whether a full/proper attempt at a playthough with DLC is best route.

I've owned Elden Ring since lauch, but barely played it / scraped the surface. Does the new DLC tie in to the main game (ie branch off it) or is it separate? I'm wondering whether a full/proper attempt at a playthough with DLC is best route.
Its an area that you can go to , alongside the main game, it does require you to have reached a certain point in the game though and that point is probably 30 or 40 hours into the game (for someone on their first proper run at the game)

Defeated Mohgwyn and now have the save point all good to go for the expansion, however he beat me 20 times at least, another boss you'll likely want a blood weapon on, also a highly specific item combo makes it go from almost impossible to possible. There's no way any new players will be accessing the DLC quickly unless they are elite players following guides. Even I, who completed Elden Ring before have needed multiple guides to get there quickly and efficiently in NG+.

Getting there is one thing, but it's also a very tough boss for new players with a small arena, loads of AOE, burning floor effects and is highly subject to bad luck and randomness. A blood weapon makes it much easier, and the item is practically mandatory to beat them. Miyazaki definitely trolling players a bit with how out of the way and legitimately quite tough it will be for many to even access the DLC. Considering Mohgwyn is a optional boss as well, or at least it was before this DLC.

But all set for the DLC now, not long to go.

Last edited:
Defeated Mohgwyn and now have the save point all good to go for the expansion, however he beat me 20 times at least, another boss you'll likely want a blood weapon on, also a highly specific item combo makes it go from almost impossible to possible. There's no way any new players will be accessing the DLC quickly unless they are elite players following guides. Even I, who completed Elden Ring before have needed multiple guides to get there quickly and efficiently in NG+.

Getting there is one thing, but it's also a very tough boss for new players with a small arena, loads of AOE, burning floor effects and is highly subject to bad luck and randomness. A blood weapon makes it much easier, and the item is practically mandatory to beat them. Miyazaki definitely trolling players a bit with how out of the way and legitimately quite tough it will be for many to even access the DLC. Considering Mohgwyn is a optional boss as well, or at least it was before this DLC.

But all set for the DLC now, not long to go.
*unless you use blasphemous blade and mimic cheese like me

Anyone come across an issue after 5 mins of play their game slows right down then after 30 secs or so then goes back to normal? It's a real pain because it stops the multiplayer mode from working until I restart the whole game.

I can start the game offline then let it have its wobble then switch on multiplayer, for now at least.

Something happens under the bonnet 5 mins in but I can't track it down.

Fired up the game for the first time since completing it months ago in preparation for the DLC. Realized I've missed two areas in the north entirely: Consecrated Snowfield and Miquella's Haligtree

Also not used to how slow combat feels given the last souls like game I played was Lies of P.

Last edited:
Is going into the expansion in ng going to cause a big issue with the rebalancing stuff they’ve put in? I only have one character on ng+2 at 200
My understanding is that your level won't make much difference in the DLC area and they've added a new stat that you need to build up that will determine how you fair against the new enemies, thus leaving the base games zone unaffected. At least one review was saying that the old builds they were using in the base game were still effective in the DLC.

Not long now until the DLC's release and we can see for ourselves.

The pain starts over :)

Anyone come across an issue after 5 mins of play their game slows right down then after 30 secs or so then goes back to normal? It's a real pain because it stops the multiplayer mode from working until I restart the whole game.

I can start the game offline then let it have its wobble then switch on multiplayer, for now at least.

Something happens under the bonnet 5 mins in but I can't track it down.
Yes, I get this all the time.

Fired up the game for the first time since completing it months ago in preparation for the DLC. Realized I've missed two areas in the north entirely: Consecrated Snowfield and Miquella's Haligtree

Also not used to how slow combat feels given the last souls like game I played was Lies of P.
The haligtree was a bit of a wake up call for me. I’d been sailing through the game up until that point

Back
Top Bottom