*** Elden Ring ***

Associate

Several quotes in there that explain why the game is the way it is, and clearly they have no interest in including an easy mode, that one needs the full text to really be in context:
New Yorker Article said:
The question of how hard games should be is closely tied to the question of whom games are for. Some argue that they should be accessible: gently guided experiences that adapt to different skills, interests, and physical capabilities. Others say that they should operate on their own terms. In this model, difficulty is the creator’s prerogative; not every game has to be for everyone.

Miyazaki’s work is often invoked by the latter camp, as it suggests that challenge, not escapism or uplift, is the medium’s crucial quality. “It’s an interesting question,” Miyazaki told me. “We are always looking to improve, but, in our games specifically, hardship is what gives meaning to the experience. So it’s not something we’re willing to abandon at the moment. It’s our identity.”

Also:

New Yorker Article said:
Still, for every vanquisher of Miyazaki’s monsters, there’s another who glumly sets down the controller. “I do feel apologetic toward anyone who feels there’s just too much to overcome in my games,” Miyazaki told me. He held his head in his hands, then smiled. “I just want as many players as possible to experience the joy that comes from overcoming hardship.”

And:
New Yorker Article said:
For Miyazaki, video-game death is an opportunity to create a memory, or a punch line. “When I’m playing these games, I think, This is the way I’d want to die—in a way that is amusing or interesting, or that creates a story I can share,” he said. “Death and rebirth, trying and overcoming—we want that cycle to be enjoyable. In life, death is a horrible thing. In play, it can be something else.”

Death is by design. Its up to you to use the games mechanics to overcome that.

Don't think you'll be getting an easy mode in this title or the next one, @Apex .

Associate
Several quotes in there that explain why the game is the way it is, and clearly they have no interest in including an easy mode, that one needs the full text to really be in context:

Also:

And:

Death is by design. Its up to you to use the games mechanics to overcome that.

Don't think you'll be getting an easy mode in this title or the next one, @Apex .

Praise the Sun

Soldato
Tried for 2 hours to beat the balefull shadow with a melee build and its got me stumped. I summoned someone to help, we beat it but I dont get the key I need to progress the quest so back to square one.

I overcame him in a couple of tries with my melee build. Key was patience and waiting for the right attack to pounce on. Can't remember but it might be a massive lunge? Gives you the opportunity to use your weapon art (I had bloody slash at the time) or get a few hits in and back off. If you rotate and distance yourself you can pick away at him quite easily, plus blood loss build up certainly helps too.

Soldato
Hard to put this game down, I'd been running around Limgrave and parts of Caelid killing optional bosses with an unupgraded sword but I finally settled on a weapon and got around to Margit and Agheel and visited the Weeping Peninsula. Epic place.

The only downside is that it's quite easy to get carried away and overlevel because the exploration is so addictive. I want to wrap up the Weeping Peninsula and do Stormveil but I'll probably get distracted again:p

Man of Honour
Hard to put this game down, I'd been running around Limgrave and parts of Caelid killing optional bosses with an unupgraded sword but I finally settled on a weapon and got around to Margit and Agheel and visited the Weeping Peninsula. Epic place.

The only downside is that it's quite easy to get carried away and overlevel because the exploration is so addictive. I want to wrap up the Weeping Peninsula and do Stormveil but I'll probably get distracted again:p

It most certainly is, I'm nearing 250 hours played now and still not near the end. Bought Tiny Tinas Wonderland and really enjoyed it but havent had a chance to continue playing it yet because Elden Ring keeps sucking me in for just one more cave delve or whats over that hill jaunt :)

Soldato
What were you saving up for?!

Just had lots of runes from beating a couple of bosses and just forgot to level up tbh. Just entered the capital and got cocky.

92 hours now. Just exploring the capital. Reminds me of reaching Anor Londo with the knights being a step up from anything that came before it.

Permabanned
What level are you at? I found that pretty easy using the Starscourge swords

Havent managed to get those swords yet as I cant seem to beat the last boss in that questline.

I finally managed to beat him last night but now Im stuck at the capitols gate trying to beat the horse dude. I think my problem is Ive gone for a quality build so Ive ended up a jack of all trades and a master of none. Im using a medium shield and the blood fang Katana levelled up

Vitality 44
End 25
Str 36
Dex 36

Going to respec to a Dex/Int build I think or Str/int

I started a new game, wanting to try Dex/Arc, saw some recommendations for the Antspur rapier so thought ok i'll snag that early game. Only have to get the two halves of the Dectus medallion then run through Altus Plateau to an area that EVERYTHING one shots you, fight some chick that is guarded by a giant and boom, back home. Have to say though, it was worth it, poked the tree sentinel a few times then ran around while he died of rot :cry:

Man of Honour
Just had lots of runes from beating a couple of bosses and just forgot to level up tbh. Just entered the capital and got cocky.

92 hours now. Just exploring the capital. Reminds me of reaching Anor Londo with the knights being a step up from anything that came before it.

The dragon halberd works really well against those knights, just spam its standard attack and it just keeps jabbing the knights and they cant get close enough to hit you

Associate
Havent managed to get those swords yet as I cant seem to beat the last boss in that questline.

I finally managed to beat him last night but now Im stuck at the capitols gate trying to beat the horse dude. I think my problem is Ive gone for a quality build so Ive ended up a jack of all trades and a master of none. Im using a medium shield and the blood fang Katana levelled up

Vitality 44
End 25
Str 36
Dex 36

Going to respec to a Dex/Int build I think or Str/int

Vitality or Vigor? Vigor gives you health points, Vitality counters deathblight, a status effect that causes instant death if the meter procs.

Soldato
It most certainly is, I'm nearing 250 hours played now and still not near the end. Bought Tiny Tinas Wonderland and really enjoyed it but havent had a chance to continue playing it yet because Elden Ring keeps sucking me in for just one more cave delve or whats over that hill jaunt :)

Yeah, when you run into that one game, it's really hard to play anything else. I've put everything on hold because I just default to launching this whenever I open Steam:p Played almost all of the matches in my Tekken league in one sitting just so that I could play some today.

If it just had BB/Sekiro combat mechanics, oh my god...

Also, I hope those trolls who put messages directly on Sites of Grace get diarrhea:p

Man of Honour
Also, I hope those trolls who put messages directly on Sites of Grace get diarrhea:p

Oh I agree wholeheartedly with this, another thing they do is put messages right at the base of a ladder so that when you run up to the ladder being chased by a mob, you cant climb the ladder because it just opens the message instead

Soldato
Still deciding on whether to get this on pc now but put up with no ultra wide support on my monitor or wait a month when I get a Xbox series x and get to play it on my 55".

Soldato
Oh I agree wholeheartedly with this, another thing they do is put messages right at the base of a ladder so that when you run up to the ladder being chased by a mob, you cant climb the ladder because it just opens the message instead

Yeah, that too, happened to me when I backtracked to an area to look for things I missed, ran past mobs towards a ladder and bam, there it is:p

Associate
Still not gone into NG+ but it's so quick grinding level upgrades end game that I've trying a few strength weapons to give me variety.

I have around 40 weight to keep medium roll speed to use for weapons and shield combined so you can have a lot of different strength build styles just with different weapons. You can add whatever ashes of war that you want to any for these weapons builds and it's effective, though some a lot better than others.

All Purpose Tank: Heavy Grand Epee+25, A str scaling, 6 weight + Fingerprint Stone Shield+25, 29 weight C str scaling 100 normal block, 90 block boost.

Has highest resist shield by far in all types at once and a good range, fairly light sword that has the poke from behind shield move, can get boring but very good survivability with defensive poke tactics.

Fire Tank: Serpent Hunter Great spear+10, A str scaling, 12 weight + Visage Shield+10, 24 weight, 100 normal block, B str scaling, switch to Grafted Dragon fist weapon +10, 2.5 weight C str scaling. Also uses the Spear Talisman for buffed guard counter moves.

Really fun tanking build as the Visage Shield is a mini version of those giant face monsters that spew flame, which you can do while blocking and walking with its special. Grafted Dragon has a massive fire nuke spell that you quickly pull out as an offhand. Serpent Hunter has highest poke from behind damage for str of any weapon I've found so far. Really good defence and great melee and fire offence build, all without having to put points in int, they actually scale most with str. A damage dealing tank with less defence and resistance than All Purpose Tank, but much more fun.

Hammer Knight:

Heavy Giant Crusher Hammer+25, S Str scaling, 26.5 weight + Brass shield+ 25, 100 block, 69 block boost, 7 weight.

Hammer time with great moveset and stun effect, can still block a lot too if you need to switch to 1 handed. Also effective as 1 hander with high enough str. Carrion Retaliation on medium shield + Wraith calling bell adds some nice range damage too.

At 70 str 30 endurance usually can still wear heavy armour for good poise with all these builds, also carrying the Pulley Crossbow +9 and Clawmark Seal +24 for incantations for extra utility. Can often carry Grafted Dragon +10 too if you wear a lighter helm, etc.

Also have Greatsword+24, Trolls Golden Sword+24 for duel wield greatswords, plus Lance+24 and Prelates Inferno Crozier +24 so I can dual wield colossal swords, great spears or colossal hammers, but takes so much weight have to go near armourless to duel wield the hammers. Will likely put a few of those at +25 too depending on remaining stones.

So many different weapon options with the same build.

Back
Top Bottom